Calvillo vs Calderwood: post-fight exchange

Joanne was moving forward but in a very defensive manner, Calvillo was the more aggressive fighter on the feet imo

Nearly every time Cynthia tried to close the distance she ate a teep to the gut. The stand-up was kind of a wash in my opinion, if there was a difference it was that Jo Jo controlled the range.

The grappling evened it all out and swayed the fight in Cynthia's favor. It was a close, but shitty fight.

No idea why Calvillo didn't go for more takedowns. She almost let the fight slip away but secured a TD in the last minute in round 3 to get a decision.

The problem is the cage. It's huge, without real corners.

No. One can cut off the cage if one knows what one is doing. Jo Jo likes to move forward, but she tends to follow her opponents around the cage rather than cut off the cage.

No. One can cut off the cage if one knows what one is doing. Jo Jo likes to move forward, but she tends to follow her opponents around the cage rather than cut off the cage.
Jojo was cutting her off but then CC would double back the other way

Jojos backfist sent CC halfway across the cage

If Jo Jo thought there was a chance that she had rocked Cynthia, wouldn't Jo Jo have applied some pressure at that time rather than having an informal time-out for a high-five?

man jojo really needs to shut the fuck up

you cant even ake weight

ur a fucking pro fighter

just shut up

u lost, deal with it

If Jo Jo thought there was a chance that she had rocked Cynthia, wouldn't Jo Jo have applied some pressure at that time rather than having an informal time-out for a high-five?
I didnt claim it rocked her, but are you trying to say it didnt send her half way across the cage?

it also was the most impactful strike landed

Calvillo won no controversy. Won 2 rounds, and almost finished the fight. Jojo is a hype job.

I think you'll change your mind after watching it again, I certainly did. My initial impression was a clear 1st & 2nd round to JoJo with the 3rd being a toss-up, after watching it a few times I scored the 1st & 3rd for Calvillo with the 2nd being fairly close with JoJo edging it out with the spinning elbow.

IMO JoJo messed up by pulling a Holly Holm; too much air kicking & punching with not enough clean connections. The only clean hits she landed were a few teeps, some low kicks, and the elbows. Far too many of her strikes were blocked, missed, or landed on the end of their range without much behind them. She was throwing teeps from way out of range and when she was in range she rarely got them off fast enough to catch Calvillo coming in, most of the time Cynthia was able to block them or stop/back off in time to avoid the full impact.

Overall it was a rather frustrating & disappointing fight to watch. Calvillo did her job and fought about as well as she could, and JoJo seemed to be having mental issues again and fighting well below her potential.
You watched that a few times?...

891.jpg

Often more happens in 30 seconds than does in the other 4 minutes and 30 seconds of the round. 30 second of domination is certainly enough to give a person a round.

If it's striking dominance, then maybe, depending on how much of a whooping was administered. But taking someone's back, getting the RNC and running out of time?... No way.

People seem to be confusing a near sub with a near KO. They are not equivalent. A near KO delivers massive damage. A near sub is technical dominance. In this case, literally 30 seconds of technical dominance.

Jojo sucks, but a cage is a lot harder to command than a ring. My comment had nothing to do with Calderwood or Carvillo. The cage is also way bigger. Tons of room to run.

If it's striking dominance, then maybe, depending on how much of a whooping was administered. But taking someone's back, getting the RNC and running out of time?... No way.

People seem to be confusing a near sub with a near KO. They are not equivalent. A near KO delivers massive damage. A near sub is technical dominance. In this case, literally 30 seconds of technical dominance.
I like your posts, but disagree here. It's the 'mixed' in MMA. A real KO also does more damage than a tapped out sub, or even a completed choke. Has little relevance to how close it was to a finish.
Also, that choke was in. Lucky that there are rounds in this exhibition of fighting.
Calderwood fights like she is in a kickboxing match. Her pacing and stance leave a lot of td opportunities, and allow that cage to be bigger than it is. She is fighting as though she is in a small ring against someone who wants to strike.

Anyways, they both sucked. I thought Calderwood would get the decision, but no one won that fight very clearly.

That was just odd. Total lack of killer instinct.

They both get destroyed by anyone else in the top 10.

Yeah, well, it beats staring at charts & spreadsheets at work...
You need to up your spreadsheet game, mine are beautifully colour coded with only the finest of fonts...

That was just odd. Total lack of killer instinct.

They both get destroyed by anyone else in the top 10.
Jojo is going to 125 anyway

also Markos, Herrig, Torres and Waterson are all winnable fights for jojo at SW. so you are going a bit overboard with "destroyed"

I think you exaggerate the case. As Calvillo is faster on her feet, and has a shorter reach, she will smartly do a lot of avoidance until good opportunities present themselves. Shevchenko and Holm also get boo'd for doing a lot of avoidance. It is a style. In boxing too. Should Jo Jo be rewarded for not showing an ability to cut off the cage? The fact is, at no time did Calvillo look to be in any sort of danger of being finished by Jo Jo, whereas Jo Jo appeared to have been twice saved by the bell. Maybe if Jo Jo had treated Calvillo as if she had harmed her, pressing her looking for a finish after the spinning backfist, the judges might have given her more credit for that having been more of a threat of a finish. But laughing and high-fiving sure doesn't give any such impression that the situation held any significant threat.
I think it is time MMA judges starting scoring blocked head kicks to some extent, sure very few of JoJo's kicks landed cleanly, but it still hurts to be kicked in the forearm.

All those kicks seem to be completely disregarded as offense even though failed submissions attempts are scored highly.

I think it is time MMA judges starting scoring blocked head kicks to some extent, sure very few of JoJo's kicks landed cleanly, but it still hurts to be kick in the forearm.

All those kicks seem to be completely disregarded as offense even though failed submissions attempts are scored highly.
I was going to say something similar last night.... why dont we score attempted takedowns as well? seeing as attempted submissions score so highly.

Jojo attempted loads of strikes last night, I demand they are scored highly as well :p lol

I will always root for a fighter who makes weight over the one who doesn't. Jojo was obviously too dumb or too unskilled to figure out how to impose her gameplan. Glad her overweight ass lost.

Back