Calvillo vs Calderwood: post-fight exchange

CPH

street lethal
@Gold
Reaction score
Not the best of pals after the fight:

http://mmauno.com/cynthia-calvillo-karate-hottie-can-get-wants/

Calderwood and Calvillo exchanged words after the fight and the Scot still had plenty to say once the decision had been read. Calvillo explained what Calderwood said to her in the aftermath.

“She was upset because I wasn’t standing there and playing her striking game,” Calvillo said. “I said before the bout that there’s the possibility that if the fight goes to a decision I wouldn’t get it because I’m fighting in Scotland. So I said, ‘I better not get robbed,’ and she came up to me to me and said, ‘what did you say?’, so I said it again, ‘I better not get robbed,’ you know. She was like, ‘What are you talking about, you ran the whole time,’ but I said, ‘Hey my face isn’t bleeding.’ Anyway, it is what it is. I’m here to fight my fight and not her fight.”

Calvillo not getting what 'running' means in this case, IMO. There is a reason why she attempted so few strikes or TDs throughout the fight and spent 80% of it backing down.

I used to like Calderwood, but with her repeated bad sportsmanship she's now one of my least favourite fighters.

Calderwood is salty.

She should be. Calvillo won via 1 minute of dominant grappling + MMA judges not knowing how to score striking.

She should be. Calvillo won via 1 minute of dominant grappling + MMA judges not knowing how to score striking.
Yes but there is the sportsmanlike way to handle defeat and the Diaz brothers way. U can be upset say u thought u had it but she shouldn't act that way because she thought she could coast to a win in her own backyard.

There was 2 30-27's right? As soon as I heard that I thought "I cant believe they gave JoJo the 1st" - how did Calvillo win R2? R1, sure, R2 was all JoJo, R3 I can see how they'd give it to Calvillo for the last 30 seconds, but I personally would have scored that for JoJo because of the first 4min.

Yes but there is the sportsmanlike way to handle defeat and the Diaz brothers way. U can be upset say u thought u had it but she shouldn't act that way because she thought she could coast to a win in her own backyard.

Not sure what you mean. This convo took place as the fighters were waiting for the decision.

As for her reaction after the decision, it's very understandable. A number of pros disagreed with it also.

I used to like Calderwood, but with her repeated bad sportsmanship she's now one of my least favourite fighters.
Yet when Condit "plays his game", and Diaz calls him a bitch while flipping him off, he becomes a folk hero of MMA.

<GSPWoah>

There was 2 30-27's right? As soon as I heard that I thought "I cant believe they gave JoJo the 1st" - how did Calvillo win R2? R1, sure, R2 was all JoJo, R3 I can see how they'd give it to Calvillo for the last 30 seconds, but I personally would have scored that for JoJo because of the first 4min.

That's my take. I find it hard to give a fighter a round based on 30 sec where they dominated the grappling. A lot of people are pointing out that Calvillo nearly had the finish but the bottom line is that she didn't finish. Unless near finished subs are scored as highly as KDs, there is no way that 30 sec should give her the round. It was bogus sherbro-level judging.

Calvillo didn't win the fight based off her 30sec-1min of grappling but it for sure secured the win. Calvillo dominated the striking as well. Calvillo dominated this fight easily 29-28 RD 1 and 3. Look at the huge hematoma on Calderwood's forehead, blood coming out of her nose/mouth throughout the fight, Calvillo's untouched face other than a small cut and tell me who won that fight in the striking department lol.

Last edited:
If Calderwood wanted to win, she would have struck with intention to do damage, and she would have done it often.

Sometimes the problem with coaches like Firas and Jackson-Winkeljohn is that they are trying to be renowned as genius tacticians, and in the process they dull a fighter's edge.

Calderwood stated that she would "let shit go" and she didn't (like 99% of fighters).

Some fights can only be won by "letting shit go," and if you are afraid to lose, you won't be able to.

Sometimes the problem with coaches like Firas and Jackson-Winkeljohn is that they are trying to be renowned as genius tacticians, and in the process they dull a fighter's edge.

Calderwood stated that she would "let shit go" and she didn't (like 99% of fighters).

Some fights can only be won by "letting shit go," and if you are afraid to lose, you won't be able to.

Yeah, Tristar has not been a good match for Calderwood

This is actually more exciting than the actual fights like when Joanna J was trashtalking Claudia.

Rockhold is still way more popular than most WW/MW/LHW despite being salty. People like the salt.

Saltywood has now fully grown into her role in life as a Scot; gaining weight, whining about everything, doing nothing

next fight she'll be asking her opponent for 50p for the bus 'or else'

Last edited:
That's my take. I find it hard to give a fighter a round based on 30 sec where they dominated the grappling. A lot of people are pointing out that Calvillo nearly had the finish but the bottom line is that she didn't finish. Unless near finished subs are scored as highly as KDs, there is no way that 30 sec should give her the round. It was bogus sherbro-level judging.

You actually thought Calderwood won the fight? She was saved by the bell twice. That does count for something (especially when 96% of the rest of the round was nothing much happening on the feet - the other 4% being getting taken down and almost instantly submitted).

IIRC 100% of the media scores were for Calvillo. You're a Calderwood fan AFAIK. Who's doing the bogus sherbro level judging here?

Back