Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu no Longer Effective

Just to get some more grappling into this conversation. Here's a waki gatame playlist. Training and competition.

Jeez man I don't know how much more c

My experience with MT is they were much better at pressure fighting, but with TKD mobility combined with MT and boxing hand skill the ability to maintain distance becomes an advantage. It's just adding dimensions of tactics that the opponent isn't prepared for.

That's why you see a lot of those MT vs TKD You Tube clips where MT corners the TKD guy with pressure, stuffs his ability to gauge distance and dominates. Usually in those clips the TKD guys don't use the added tactics of attacking the legs, there skillset is based on the body and head. Adjusting your perspective to the lower body targets if you are and experienced kicker leaves you tons of high power damage to inflict. But as with everything you have to train to include it in your arsenal.

I don't think I mentioned concussions from Judo. I still have nerve damage in my neck from some wonky breakfalls in the last days of trying to train full resistance before realizing I needed to figure out what was happening to my hip.

I have had concussions and the the worst bone bruises that lasted months from TKD...

Shit it's 6:45 I gotta jet off on a 20 miler...

I'm always down with answering legit questions and misunderstandings. But if I get the knuckle head MMA troll U get the horns, LOL!

It sounds like you should have done bjj instead of judo if your have nerve damage from break falling . Good thing about bjj is the match always continues on the ground and pulling guard is more viable.

Anyway Mauy Thai and Bjj are often taught in the same place by the same people and it's easy for adults to compete as beginners which is a big advantage compared to trying to learn TKD and judo at the same time.

Last edited:
Just to get some more grappling into this conversation. Here's a waki gatame playlist. Training and competition.

waki gatame is basically an standing armlock. Agin, twing joints the wrong way works, I dont think anyone would disagree with it, what most people have problems is with the whole catching stuff on the air and doing the seagal stuff. It is just not going to happen.

Also, shinya is a judoka as well, I would venture to say he got that from his judo training.

You guys are kind of moving goal posts here.

That move is kind of rare in judo and it isn't allowed in judo competition anymore because of high rate of injury.

So when aikido or Japanese jujitsu guys say their move are too dangerous they are referring to that move being banned in judo comp.

However it is allowed in bjj and MMA. I could see it being used more in bjj but not MMA.

Last edited:

That move is kind of rare in judo and it isn't allowed in judo competition anymore because of high rate of injury.

So when aikido or Japanese jujitsu guys say their move are too dangerous they are referring to that move being banned in judo comp.

However it is allowed in bjj and MMA. I could see it being used more in bjj but not MMA.

No I'm not, joint locks work, despite what martial art you practice, how you get to those joint locks, it's a whole other thing... Basically anythkng that involves catching a punch followed by any type technique is bollocks.

If it was possible, you would've seen a long ass time done in Mma, or any type of physical confrontation...

Holy fuck, r you really fucking telling me aikido works, I'm not going to argue with you, your ridiculous.

Well, you are arguing with me. Ahh, the perpetual idiot tag team composed of ‘BJJ_Rage’ and ‘jack(ass)36767’. Right on ‘CFGroup’, there is no intelligent life there. It is like landing on the moon. “I can’t argue or make a logical statement, so I’ll just resort to insults!”

“Aikido doesn’t work because ‘jack(ass)36767’ told me so. Uhh, I saw some Aikido guy get beat up on a video, so I guess the whole art is useless.” That’s like me saying I saw a BJJ guy get beat up on a video therefore BJJ is useless. The two of you think the same of Tae Kwon-Do.

You have ‘zero’ experience in both Tae Kwon-Do and Aikido and yet think you are an expert to be able to criticize the art. Not even sure what your 13 year old black belt was in. You never mention that part. Not even sure you practice BJJ. I’ve done Tae Kwon-Do, Aikido, and now Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, so yes, I think I have a bit of experience on all three arts to be able to have a legitimate opinion. Like I mentioned before, why don’t you walk into a Tae Kwon-Do school or Aikido Dojo and challenge the instructor or senior student to a friendly match after the class is finished. Let me know how that turns out.

Do you even know where the kidneys are located in the body? They are in the back, not the front. That’s why you can’t heel kick a grappler there when you are in the bottom in the guard. (UFC foul playbook).

‘jack(ass)36767’ please do a spell check before you post man. Niave is spelled like this: Naïve. Man those insults are going to keep me up all night…

Last edited:
Well, you are arguing with me. Ahh, the perpetual idiot tag team composed of ‘BJJ_Rage’ and ‘jack(ass)36767’. Right on ‘CFGroup’, there is no intelligent life there. It is like landing on the moon. “I can’t argue or make a logical statement, so I’ll just resort to insults!”

“Aikido doesn’t work because ‘jack(ass)36767’ told me so. Uhh, I saw some Aikido guy get beat up on a video, so I guess the whole art is useless.” That’s like me saying I saw a BJJ guy get beat up on a video therefore BJJ is useless. The two of you think the same of Tae Kwon-Do.

You have ‘zero’ experience in both Tae Kwon-Do and Aikido and yet think you are an expert to be able to criticize the art. Not even sure what your 13 year old black belt was in. You never mention that part. Not even sure you practice BJJ. I’ve done Tae Kwon-Do, Aikido, and now Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, so yes, I think I have a bit of experience on all three arts to be able to have a legitimate opinion. Like I mentioned before, why don’t you walk into a Tae Kwon-Do school or Aikido Dojo and challenge the instructor or senior student to a friendly match after the class is finished. Let me know how that turns out.

Do you even know where the kidneys are located in the body? They are in the rear, not the front. That’s why you can’t heel kick a grappler there when you are in the bottom in the guard.

‘jack(ass)36767’ please do a spell check before you post man. Niave is spelled like this: Naïve. Man those insults are going to keep me up all night…
Post. Video

No one is interested in anecdotal stories. Post actual evidence TS, insulting my spelling mistake isn't going to distract from the fact you didn't actually answer the question you passive aggressive little bitch

I feel like there is a certain personality profile required to be a person who, in an age of mma and actual sanctioned no holds barred fighting, still fetishizes late 20th century wushu tropes and still consider it the highest status in martial arts.

An overlapping necessary but not sufficient condition would also likely be someone who was old enough, but not too old enough, to have been young and impressionable and remember personally when the big martial arts flicks were coming out.

Last edited:

Do you even know where the kidneys are located in the body? They are in the back, not the front. That’s why you can’t heel kick a grappler there when you are in the bottom in the guard.

I don't have to go Dijo Storm any gym to know bjj works, because unlike like aikido, bjj is constantly proven every fucking week, on tv.

So you train in a gjj academy bud don't know how to heel kick to the kidneys? Lmfao... You don't train jack shit, that's basic guard work, this idiot actually think standing heel kicks to the kidneys are banned! GTFO troll...

By the way, I'm a brown belt I've posted my pics and the pics of every promotion I had...

Do you even know where the kidneys are located in the body? They are in the back, not the front. That’s why you can’t heel kick a grappler there when you are in the bottom in the guard.

Don't sweat it dude!

Most of the time you've gotta b like...

tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

Cause if U take it too serious you'll b like...

lard1.gif

in no time!

There's a core of intelligence...But U ain't seeing it here arguing with U on this thread.

LOL!

I feel like there is a certain personality profile required to be a person who, in an age of mma and actual sanctioned no holds barred fighting, still fetishizes late 20th century wushu tropes and still consider it the highest status in martial arts.

An overlapping necessary but not sufficient condition would also likely be someone who was old enough, but not too old enough, to have been young and impressionable and remember personally when the big martial arts flicks were coming out.

We just want brain to win out over brawn. Traditional martial arts are beautiful - way too much brains, not enough cock and balls. I'd like the world better if chicken little was the strongest fighter.

It sounds like you should have done bjj instead of judo if your have nerve damage from break falling . Good thing about bjj is the match always continues on the ground and pulling guard is more viable.

Anyway Mauy Thai and Bjj are often taught in the same place by the same people and it's easy for adults to compete as beginners which is a big advantage compared to trying to learn TKD and judo at the same time.
Oh sry, I'm like....Old...I trained Judo first back in my teens and early 20's. after I moved and started a new major I was real close to that Olympic TKD affiliate school and took it up because of it's excellence and I'd always been quick with my hands could toss and choke anyone in HS and collage so I figured I'd train my feet to round out a bit. The training quick twitch muscle reaction got me hooked, plus the comp team trained at 5:30am so I could workout before classes in collage and make the regular 6:30 evening TKD classes.

The breakfalling injury is from the last 14 years and finally losing the cartilage in my hip. From Judo or TKD I'm not sure. But I was compensating while I was getting thrown and wrenched my neck and found a couple of weeks later was having these numb areas in my right shoulder up my neck and weirdly down my lower jaw.

I've always kept up my TKD mobility drilling KB basic hand combo's and limited kicking, but none of the jump spin stuff I use to do. One of the things I noticed is impact on the sides of the hips constantly built up a loss of hip openness. You'll get that a lot from kicking based systems "opening up the hips" Wrestling, Judo, Sambo tend to limit that so the jump spin stuff became difficult to keep up with. The high intensity flexibility stretching in TKD takes 2 people and my lady doesn't want to sit on my back so I can touch my nose to the floor, LOL!

I'm scoping out the local MT/BJJ spots here, but I gotta get this ball and socket installed in my hip before I can do anything.
These fucking Judo people are just like the east coast incompetent at promotions there's San Diego Judo, The Arena where Saulo Rebeiro teaches, who I randomly ran into a few weeks ago, Dean Lister is right around the corner...But I gotta heal for a year first....

This is 12 pages of a handful of people getting trolled.

So you train in a gjj academy bud don't know how to heel kick to the kidneys? Lmfao... You don't train jack shit, that's basic guard work, this idiot actually think standing heel kicks to the kidneys are banned! GTFO troll...

Scratching my head, I think you need some English lessons BJJ. You completely misread what I wrote. Go back and give it another try…

...insulting my spelling mistake isn't going to distract from the fact you didn't actually answer the question you passive aggressive little bitch.

Big Jack, thick-skinned, big man on campus, Division II wrestling at Pennsylvania State University. What was it that you wrote earlier about not being able to join the military because you were in college. You could have put college on hold and joined the fight my friend. We could have used your help, but I guess wrestling was more important. Isn’t college were draft dodgers went to avoid the draft during the Vietnam War? Your little ass was saved since we now only have an all volunteer military. After 9/11 I had already been in the military for 13 years and heading to Afghanistan. That’s where real men went, but you decided to stay back and roll with the boys on the mat…

Last edited:

I'm not moving anything. The conversation turned towards waki gatame, so I put up a video showing waki gatames in competition. I like to keep grappling in threads on the grappling forum as much as possible.

That being said, the reason guys like Shinya Aoki can make waki gatames work against live opponents is that he both a) knows the technique and b) has a lot of experience fighting non-compliant opponents. Judoka, Sambists, BJJ'ers, Wrestlers, etc. hit both a) and b) on nearly every grappling move that exists, which is why they can make them happen. Aikidoka and JJJ people only do a), and they can almost never make the techniques work against resisting opponents. If simply knowing these techniques allowed you to be proficient in them, Aikido and Jujitsu people would be able to fight under every grappling ruleset out there and do well. They don;t though, and they never have. HOW you train matters just as much as WHAT you train.

Scratching my head, I think you need some English lessons BJJ. You completely misread what I wrote. Go back and give it another try…

Big Jack, thick-skinned, big man on campus, Division II wrestling at Pennsylvania State University. What was it that you wrote earlier about not being able to join the military because you were in college. You could have put college on hold and joined the fight my friend. We could have used your help, but I guess wrestling was more important. Isn’t college were draft dodgers went to avoid the draft during the Vietnam War? Your little ass was saved since we now only have an all volunteer military. After 9/11 I had already been in the military for 13 years and heading to Afghanistan. That’s where real men went, but you decided to stay back and roll with the boys on the mat…

What unit?

What unit?
MOS?

The thing with JJJ is the theater of combat is different. 2 guys squaring off and feeling out openings is going to lead to faints and grip fighting.

JJJ is a combat theater system. Many opponents in chaotic conditions where DLA (Direct Line Attack) with momentum become a factor.

Send 10 guys running at speed against a sport fighter and he's overwhelmed after the 2nd guy. That's the conditions that combat systems are made for.

Not that they train with that intent for the most part, but you have to identify the TC(Theater of Combat) to criticize the system.

LOL!

Imagine Judo grip fighting in feudal Japan with 6 hundred combatants going at it.

Back