Boxing is one of the weakest martial art forms.

Agreed. Without beating my own chest I've also strapped on the gloves once or twice because my step-dad was a boxing coach. My path to becoming an MMA fan is this: UFC 1 and 2 kind of changed my perception a little bit but I still held on to the idea that "in a real fight" if someone grabbed me I would just touch them and they'd fall asleep plus the production made it seem like WWE stuff so who knew how legit it really was? So UFC wasn't really what did it for me.

What sold me was when an out of town friend came back to visit and started bragging about this "muay thai/kickboxing" stuff. I'd watched every Van Damme movie so I sort of knew what it was but I also knew of the karate guys in town that would regularly pick fights with boxers and get KOed stiff within seconds so again thought of it more as joke than anything else. My friend then proceeded to demonstrate his acquired skills by banging his shin bone into a street sign with scary power. A short debate later I'd talked myself into letting him leg kick me and spent the rest of the week with a limp and a new understanding of competitive (keyword) martial arts.

Got stuck on K1 after that until I saw Cyril Abidi and later Hoost get merked by Sapp. Later found out Sapp had a fight in something called PRIDE against some dude called Antonio Nogueira. It was the most amazing thing I've ever seen because unlike the UFC stuff this time around I knew how legit Abidi and Hoost were and how human Sapp made them look in all his 300+ lbs glory. And this Nogueira guy tamed the Beast with pure skills. It's difficult to put into the words the hype that was behind a fully ultra roided Sapp at the time but Hoost was a LEGEND and on an incredible run when Sapp beat him. Easily the biggest name in combat sports outside boxing. Mr Perfect. He was a fucking superhero.

Then Semmy fought Fedor and Fedor fought Nog and that's all she wrote. I knew there were levels to this stuff and that all competitive combat sports weren't created equal. And no man had ever been created equal to Fedor. Been an MMA fan ever since.

It's funny to me now in hindsight listening to all these boxing heads and the utter ignorance they display towards the sport of MMA. It brings me back to when I was in their position and talked about things I really didn't have any clue about but did it anyway with the confidence of a runty little teenager lecturing a grown ass man about life. It's pure cringe. It almost makes me feel sad for them because they're so clueless and stuck in their ways.

And to now hear younger MMA fans go the opposite direction I did many a years ago and gravitate towards boxing? Life is funny is sometimes. Bizarre but funny.

Boxing is one of the best practical martial arts since most fights are fist fights and end up quickly, often with 1 clean punch.

Ofcourse being versatile is the best, not argument here.

LOL,,, Stephen Thompson is a 6th degree black belt in Kempo, black belt in kickboxing, and black belt in jiu jitsu. A world ranked karate practitioner.
Tyrone Woodley beat him twice using boxing, and he is not even a boxer.

LOL,,, Stephen Thompson is a 6th degree black belt in Kempo, black belt in kickboxing, and black belt in jiu jitsu. A world ranked karate practitioner.
Tyrone Woodley beat him twice using boxing, and he is not even a boxer.

It's idiots like you that is why nobody will ever taking boxing seriously again.

Agreed. Without beating my own chest I've also strapped on the gloves once or twice because my step-dad was a boxing coach. My path to becoming an MMA fan is this: UFC 1 and 2 kind of changed my perception a little bit but I still held on to the idea that "in a real fight" if someone grabbed me I would just touch them and they'd fall asleep plus the production made it seem like WWE stuff so who knew how legit it really was? So UFC wasn't really what did it for me.

What sold me was when an out of town friend came back to visit and started bragging about this "muay thai/kickboxing" stuff. I'd watched every Van Damme movie so I sort of knew what it was but I also knew of the karate guys in town that would regularly pick fights with boxers and get KOed stiff within seconds so again thought of it more as joke than anything else. My friend then proceeded to demonstrate his acquired skills by banging his shin bone into a street sign with scary power. A short debate later I'd talked myself into letting him leg kick me and spent the rest of the week with a limp and a new understanding of competitive (keyword) martial arts.

Got stuck on K1 after that until I saw Cyril Abidi and later Hoost get merked by Sapp. Later found out Sapp had a fight in something called PRIDE against some dude called Antonio Nogueira. It was the most amazing thing I've ever seen because unlike the UFC stuff this time around I knew how legit Abidi and Hoost were and how human Sapp made them look in all his 300+ lbs glory. And this Nogueira guy tamed the Beast with pure skills. It's difficult to put into the words the hype that was behind a fully ultra roided Sapp at the time but Hoost was a LEGEND and on an incredible run when Sapp beat him. Easily the biggest name in combat sports outside boxing. Mr Perfect. He was a fucking superhero.

Then Semmy fought Fedor and Fedor fought Nog and that's all she wrote. I knew there were levels to this stuff and that all competitive combat sports weren't created equal. And no man had ever been created equal to Fedor. Been an MMA fan ever since.

It's funny to me now in hindsight listening to all these boxing heads and the utter ignorance they display towards the sport of MMA. It brings me back to when I was in their position and talked about things I really didn't have any clue about but did it anyway with the confidence of a runty little teenager lecturing a grown ass man about life. It's pure cringe. It almost makes me feel sad for them because they're so clueless and stuck in their ways.

And to now hear younger MMA fans go the opposite direction I did many a years ago and gravitate towards boxing? Life is funny is sometimes. Bizarre but funny.
Great post.

I'm an amatuer Boxer currently so I'm not biased. Boxing MIXED with other combat forms is amazing. But alone vs other combat forms. Limited
What's your record?

1ut0ck.jpg

Let's be honest. Sherdog has this weird obsession with boxers as if they are basically God's that are untouchable. But let's be real. Boxing ON ITS OWN, key words here, is weaker than almost all martial arts. I'm not even talking MMA because everyone already know they would kill a boxer like a child. I'm talking singular martial arts.

Muy Thai vs boxer? Muy Thai destroys the legs of the boxer, destroys him in the clinch, knees and elbows his head in.

Wrestler vs boxer? Wrestler slams boxer on his head and kills him.

BJJ vs boxer? Slams him on his head and strangles him to death.

Judo vs boxer? Same as above

Sambo? Same as above.

Karate? Gets head kicked KOed inside 1 minute.

I'm an amatuer Boxer currently so I'm not biased. Boxing MIXED with other combat forms is amazing. But alone vs other combat forms. Limited
Was with you until I read karate and Judo. Look up some YouTube videos- Karate in particular is utterly f****** uselsss against a decent boxer.

What a stupid argument. McGregor is living proof of how effective boxing is in mma. Bj penn, Diaz bros etc..

Every high level MMA fighter has to be well rounded regardless of their base. But boxing is super effective in MMA.

I though Ronda Rousseys demise showed how boxing is perfectly capable of beating Judo?

Hmmm....

Let's be honest. Sherdog has this weird obsession with boxers as if they are basically God's that are untouchable. But let's be real. Boxing ON ITS OWN, key words here, is weaker than almost all martial arts. I'm not even talking MMA because everyone already know they would kill a boxer like a child. I'm talking singular martial arts.

Karate? Gets head kicked KOed inside 1 minute.

LMAO. Wow you are one clueless, delusional sack of excrement.

Karate and Kung Fu and TKD guys aren't even fighters. I have sparred several of them. I mean they literally don't even fight. Not only do they not spar full contact, but even their fucking competitions are not full contact. It's the definition of "point fighting". Against anyone trained in a real combat sport, they're basically as clueless as someone who has never trained to fight in their life. It's just theory and exercise, basically. They have no idea how to defend against anything, especially fast, hard, accurate punches from a trained boxer. They're also nervous as fuck, given their lack of even real sparring, let alone real fights.

Any half decent amateur boxer would knock any karate guy out cold in a matter of seconds, let alone a legit pro boxer. Jesus christ, the level of cluelessness is hard to fathom.

Last edited:
I'll take a boxer over a karate man in a street fight anytime.

Here's a man who knows the score. Not only would I take the boxer, but it wouldn't even be a fight. The karate man would be demolished in brutal fashion, very quickly, every time.

What a stupid argument. McGregor is living proof of how effective boxing is in mma. Bj penn, Diaz bros etc..

Every high level MMA fighter has to be well rounded regardless of their base. But boxing is super effective in MMA.

Yep. This is why it always amazes me how anti boxing a lot of MMA fans are, especially the McNuthuggers. I mean, Conor is basically a boxer, outboxing guys in the UFC, with the help of some kicks and TDD. In a way, he kind of represents boxing. Yet the average Conor groupie has this weird irrational hatred of boxing. It's bizarre.

This is definitely the boxing era of MMA, and people are finally realising how effective it is. Everyone wants to be a boxer now, and I think Conor is actually partly to thank for that.

Last edited:
It depends how you look at it. Yes on a professional level against a martial artist who is sparring constantly and fighting matches, sure a boxer has fewer tools and is effective only in the punching range. However if you take 99.999% of guys off the street who recreationally train in boxing or other martial arts, I would bet on the boxer every time and expect the boxer to win 9 times out of 10.

Why? Because boxers, even recreational, train very hard compared to other martial artists and spar. Every lesson includes a lot of sparring. That's how you learn in boxing, sparring. Actual fighting. With actual proper hitting, not just fake hitting like happens in karate, taekwondo etc. You also learn a lot getting hit. You learn to control your emotions and fear. I'm an amateur boxer but also learn BJJ. With my BJJ, and it's a Gracie affiliated school, we roll a lot and try and make it realistic as possible with takedowns. But you still don't really get hit as you come in for a takedown. You learn how to avoid a kick, punch or knee and every now and then we kit on pads and the other guy really tries to knee you hard but we don't do it often. Not every lesson. Whereas with my boxing, we spar all the time. Of course it's controlled, we have head gear and we're not trying to always take each other's heads off but you get hit a lot and you get used to it.

I was training with one of our top BJJ guys who is a brown belt which is a very high level. So I suggested that with our sessions to make it a bit more realistic. So I donned some 16 oz gloves, he put some boxing head gear (not the full face cage we normally use when simulating full on takedowns against a striker) on and I had to get ready for him to take me down. He's very good and took me down a couple of times. However the first time I fooled him with a half punch and he rushed in, I lowered down and clocked him with a low hook to the side of the head he was totally shocked. I didn't even put a lot of heat into the punch and I'm also not a big puncher and weigh 165 lbs and this guy weighs closer to 190 lbs. He rips his head gear off all red in the face and wants to make sure everything is ok, that his temple isn't swelling etc. WTF.

I've seen this time and again with so many different martial artists. I was sparring this Hapkido double dan black belt and he had great kicks, and kicked me so hard through mid section pads once that I actually wondered if he broke one of my ribs. But the first time I clocked him on the nose, he has to stop. His nose wasn't even bleeding, he just couldn't see as his eyes were watering so much and he freaked out that his nose was broken when there was nothing in the punch. They're great until they get hit. Boxers even at just club level and non-competing are ok with getting hit. Of course a really hard shot makes you sh*t your pants and shocks you. But if you were to throw someone into a street fight and he wasn't a professional, just recreational level, the boxer would stand the best chance most of the time.

Again, here's a man who knows what's up.

Your experience is similar to mine. Unless you've boxed and trained in traditional martial arts, maybe some people just don't quite get the difference between the two. The ironic thing is with all these little nerds saying boxers aren't real fighters, it's literally the opposite. If you go to a boxing gym for the first time coming from a MA background it's quite a shock getting slammed in the nose by a hard jab for the first time, and you soon realise just how real boxing is.

Classic martial arts are the opposite - they are not fighting, they are pretending to fight. Boxers actually fight, even in sparring. It's full contact, hard sparring, and they can throw punches faster and harder and more accurately than anyone else.

Martial artists have no experience avoiding, or taking punches. Not only are they easy to hit, but when they do get hit they are incredibly easy to hurt as they just have no experience of taking it - just as you illustrated. And like Floyd himself said "It's OK being able to give it, but can you take it?".

Again, here's a man who knows what's up.

Your experience is similar to mine. Unless you've boxed and trained in traditional martial arts, maybe some people just don't quite get the difference between the two. The ironic thing is with all these little nerds saying boxers aren't real fighters, it's literally the opposite. If you go to a boxing gym for the first time coming from a MA background it's quite a shock getting slammed in the nose by a hard jab for the first time, and you soon realise just how real boxing is.

Classic martial arts are the opposite - they are not fighting, they are pretending to fight. Boxers actually fight, even in sparring. It's full contact, hard sparring, and they can throw punches faster and harder and more accurately than anyone else.

Martial artists have no experience avoiding, or taking punches. Not only are they easy to hit, but when they do get hit they are incredibly easy to hurt as they just have no experience of taking it - just as you illustrated. And like Floyd himself said "It's OK being able to give it, but can you take it?".

I don't know why you discount other martial arts like Muay Thai and Kickboxing.

I don't know why you discount other martial arts like Muay Thai and Kickboxing.

I don't discount Muay Thai. Muay Thai is brutal, and they are absolutely real fighters.

The thing is, I consider Muay Thai more of a combat sport than traditional Martial Art, it's far more similar to boxing than it is to traditional martial arts, hence why I don't group it with the others.

Why do Conor nuthuggers constantly bring up this notion of boxing being a limited form of fighting as a means of propping up McGregor?

These same idiots will claim Conor is the greatest fighter in the UFC and yet, in a no rules street fight, Stipe shatters his skull.

Why do Conor nuthuggers constantly bring up this notion of boxing being a limited form of fighting as a means of propping up McGregor?

These same idiots will claim Conor is the greatest fighter in the UFC and yet, in a no rules street fight, Stipe shatters his skull.

Even Nate KILLS Conor in the street.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back