Boxing is one of the weakest martial art forms.

It depends how you look at it. Yes on a professional level against a martial artist who is sparring constantly and fighting matches, sure a boxer has fewer tools and is effective only in the punching range. However if you take 99.999% of guys off the street who recreationally train in boxing or other martial arts, I would bet on the boxer every time and expect the boxer to win 9 times out of 10.

Why? Because boxers, even recreational, train very hard compared to other martial artists and spar. Every lesson includes a lot of sparring. That's how you learn in boxing, sparring. Actual fighting. With actual proper hitting, not just fake hitting like happens in karate, taekwondo etc. You also learn a lot getting hit. You learn to control your emotions and fear. I'm an amateur boxer but also learn BJJ. With my BJJ, and it's a Gracie affiliated school, we roll a lot and try and make it realistic as possible with takedowns. But you still don't really get hit as you come in for a takedown. You learn how to avoid a kick, punch or knee and every now and then we kit on pads and the other guy really tries to knee you hard but we don't do it often. Not every lesson. Whereas with my boxing, we spar all the time. Of course it's controlled, we have head gear and we're not trying to always take each other's heads off but you get hit a lot and you get used to it.

I was training with one of our top BJJ guys who is a brown belt which is a very high level. So I suggested that with our sessions to make it a bit more realistic. So I donned some 16 oz gloves, he put some boxing head gear (not the full face cage we normally use when simulating full on takedowns against a striker) on and I had to get ready for him to take me down. He's very good and took me down a couple of times. However the first time I fooled him with a half punch and he rushed in, I lowered down and clocked him with a low hook to the side of the head he was totally shocked. I didn't even put a lot of heat into the punch and I'm also not a big puncher and weigh 165 lbs and this guy weighs closer to 190 lbs. He rips his head gear off all red in the face and wants to make sure everything is ok, that his temple isn't swelling etc. WTF.

I've seen this time and again with so many different martial artists. I was sparring this Hapkido double dan black belt and he had great kicks, and kicked me so hard through mid section pads once that I actually wondered if he broke one of my ribs. But the first time I clocked him on the nose, he has to stop. His nose wasn't even bleeding, he just couldn't see as his eyes were watering so much and he freaked out that his nose was broken when there was nothing in the punch. They're great until they get hit. Boxers even at just club level and non-competing are ok with getting hit. Of course a really hard shot makes you sh*t your pants and shocks you. But if you were to throw someone into a street fight and he wasn't a professional, just recreational level, the boxer would stand the best chance most of the time.

You're right. A lot of other martial artists don't know how to take a punch and a simple jab can knock them down, but the reality is boxing is naturally countered by these martial arts. Winning is luck based and not skilled based.

Yet its most mma fighters favorite art. Yet its the art most mma fans enjoy to see the most (everyone loved seeing rampage, rumble, chuck, and conor shut lights off with punches).
Its bruce lees most prominent art in his tao of jeet kine do. Face it, people love boxing.

It depends how you look at it. Yes on a professional level against a martial artist who is sparring constantly and fighting matches, sure a boxer has fewer tools and is effective only in the punching range. However if you take 99.999% of guys off the street who recreationally train in boxing or other martial arts, I would bet on the boxer every time and expect the boxer to win 9 times out of 10.

Why? Because boxers, even recreational, train very hard compared to other martial artists and spar. Every lesson includes a lot of sparring. That's how you learn in boxing, sparring. Actual fighting. With actual proper hitting, not just fake hitting like happens in karate, taekwondo etc. You also learn a lot getting hit. You learn to control your emotions and fear. I'm an amateur boxer but also learn BJJ. With my BJJ, and it's a Gracie affiliated school, we roll a lot and try and make it realistic as possible with takedowns. But you still don't really get hit as you come in for a takedown. You learn how to avoid a kick, punch or knee and every now and then we kit on pads and the other guy really tries to knee you hard but we don't do it often. Not every lesson. Whereas with my boxing, we spar all the time. Of course it's controlled, we have head gear and we're not trying to always take each other's heads off but you get hit a lot and you get used to it.

I was training with one of our top BJJ guys who is a brown belt which is a very high level. So I suggested that with our sessions to make it a bit more realistic. So I donned some 16 oz gloves, he put some boxing head gear (not the full face cage we normally use when simulating full on takedowns against a striker) on and I had to get ready for him to take me down. He's very good and took me down a couple of times. However the first time I fooled him with a half punch and he rushed in, I lowered down and clocked him with a low hook to the side of the head he was totally shocked. I didn't even put a lot of heat into the punch and I'm also not a big puncher and weigh 165 lbs and this guy weighs closer to 190 lbs. He rips his head gear off all red in the face and wants to make sure everything is ok, that his temple isn't swelling etc. WTF.

I've seen this time and again with so many different martial artists. I was sparring this Hapkido double dan black belt and he had great kicks, and kicked me so hard through mid section pads once that I actually wondered if he broke one of my ribs. But the first time I clocked him on the nose, he has to stop. His nose wasn't even bleeding, he just couldn't see as his eyes were watering so much and he freaked out that his nose was broken when there was nothing in the punch. They're great until they get hit. Boxers even at just club level and non-competing are ok with getting hit. Of course a really hard shot makes you sh*t your pants and shocks you. But if you were to throw someone into a street fight and he wasn't a professional, just recreational level, the boxer would stand the best chance most of the time.
I am talking at the highest level of each martial art, but I do like your points alot. It is true that as a boxer, we learn to spar and train harder than most martial arts, excluding muy Thai. They spar extremely hard and are real fighters. From one martial artist to another, I appreciate your insight

How the fuck is this relevant to this fight? They are BOXING.

Because the realisation that Conor is about to get exposed and humiliated for the failed boxing novice he's always been is starting to settle in and us Conor fans need this kind of defensive mechanism to cope with the reality. If Conor sucks at boxing, it must be because boxing itself sucks, not because he himself lacks the technique and athleticism required for it.

It's similar to Conor claiming he stopped playing football because he realised it was a girl's sport, as opposed to him simply not being good enough to play beyond sunday league level.

You're right. A lot of other martial artists don't know how to take a punch and a simple jab can knock them down, but the reality is boxing is naturally countered by these martial arts. Winning is luck based and not skilled based.

Can anyone make sense of the above and the relevance of the last sentence?

You don't know BJJ.

I do know BJJ and i do know that you need to STFU about things you don't know.

BJJ is one the coolest styles i've trained until this day. Art vs Art, BJJ will beat everything 90% of the time. The thing is, if i have to fight someone that i don't know in a potentially dangerous environment, i would feel a lot more confident simply maintaining distance and using boxing or kickboxing. I don't want other people jumping on me while i«m on the floor, i don't want my head slammed against concrete or broken glass, and i certainly don't wanna be glued to someone i don't know and might just take a knife out of his pocket without me even noticing, because that«s what can happen if you are not at a reasonable distance.

Now, you obviously don't know much about fighting, so i don't expect you to understand this.

What shocks me is the low intelligence of the boxing community. Most of them were using Holly Holm vs Ronda as proof that boxing > MMA despite Holm training MMA just as long, so if anything it would be boxing vs Judo. Their primitive brains seem incapable of processing even the slightest levels of nuance.

I think the years and years it takes to become a great boxer is more about muscle memory and instinct than anything. There is no other "science" that guys with double digit IQs can master.

i absolutely disagree, just about every MMA fighter who is high level has great boxing skills, you can not compete without it. If you are talking about a fighter who only knows how to box and not any other martial arts then I agree but boxing is one of the strongest skills you must have when competing in MMA

So weak that 99% of mma fights turn into boxing matches.

I do know BJJ and i do know that you need to STFU about things you don't know.

BJJ is one the coolest styles i've trained until this day. Art vs Art, BJJ will beat everything 90% of the time. The thing is, if i have to fight someone that i don't know in a potentially dangerous environment, i would feel a lot more confident simply maintaining distance and using boxing or kickboxing. I don't want other people jumping on me while i«m on the floor, i don't want my head slammed against concrete or broken glass, and i certainly don't wanna be glued to someone i don't know and might just take a knife out of his pocket without me even noticing, because that«s what can happen if you are not at a reasonable distance.

Now, you obviously don't know much about fighting, so i don't expect you to understand this.

If you were in a situation that dangerous you would've been taught to avoid the situation which with your delusions - it's very clear you've never trained. You are not Bruce Lee and neither is anyone else that is going to overcome some magnificent odds with their boxing.

If you were in a situation that dangerous you would've been taught to avoid the situation which with your delusions - it's very clear you've never trained. You are not Bruce Lee and neither is anyone else that is going to overcome some magnificent odds with their boxing.

You sound so dumb. No wonder you're a Conor fan

I think it's great to train MMA. Personally I train just boxing and BJJ, but I'm actually looking to substitute the BJJ school with a good MMA school that teaches good BJJ too (I haven't got the time or money to do three different arts).

But I'll put it this way. If I had to pick just one art for self defence, I would pick a boxing club without a doubt. BJJ is great, but how many street fights are one on one? If you go to the ground, whether you know BJJ or not, it's not a good place to be. There is a very good chance that one of his mates will stomp you. Now if there is more than one guy, you're probably in trouble anyway but if I had to give myself the best chance against multiple opponents no matter how small that chance is, boxing is better.

You're on your feet, you have good footwork, you can throw a quick punch and quickly get ready to face another guy, but hope that his mates saw what you just did and they decide to back off. It's not a great situation to be in, but it's your best hope.

MMA is good too but again they just don't spar as often or as hard and training is split up into so many things. I've seen several different MMA schools around my area, some who've produced national level champions, and they still don't spar as hard and get hit as often, or learn to defend the way boxers do.

MMA is so variable too. You can see 10 MMA fighters even on recreational level who've been training for years from one school and they all fight very differently, some are instinctively great and others are completely crap who could not destroy a decent bar scrapper who has had a few too many pints again. Whereas you take 10 recreational club boxers and yes of course some are much better than others, but I'd be surprised if all 10 couldn't destroy that decent bar scrapper.

I don't think he is downplaying the importance of boxing. It is an integral aspect of MMA, but there is also a reason we are just now seeing a development of it in MMA. There are just some more important martial arts.

Fair enough, just seemed like TS was being a bit bitter towards boxing, he was only giving biased examples but never factoring in what if the boxer lands first and rocks whoever they're up against. I know there is a lot of trash talk going on between MMA fans and Boxing fans right now, but there shouldn't be. As an MMA fan even if we find boxing boring to watch most of the time, we shouldn't write it off because it's definitely an excellent form of striking and defending every mixed martial artist should study

I am talking at the highest level of each martial art, but I do like your points alot. It is true that as a boxer, we learn to spar and train harder than most martial arts, excluding muy Thai. They spar extremely hard and are real fighters. From one martial artist to another, I appreciate your insight

I agree with you on the highest level, others have more tools than boxers. But you know what I mean at an amateur level, you take a 14 y.o at your local club who has been training for just 6 months and he's got a good chance at hurting a grown man off the street who tries to attack him. I can't say the same about any other martial art. There's a 12 y.o kid at my local club, granted he's been training for 2 years but holy crap he's dangerous. He weighs probably no more than 65 lbs and he packs a punch and so quick. There's kids at his school who've been training 10 years in Karate (pretty much all their lives) with black belts and he could beat them even if he was fighting 3 of them at the same time.

You're right about Muay Thai, I've never been to a proper school over there and would love to. Their training is very old school, kicking coconut trees. Crazy. They spar hard all the time, even the kids.

The boxing fans on here should really just go and try a different combat style for a few classes and find out for themselves how they measure up.

I'd rather fight a pro boxer than a guy who can head butt, clinch and strike with elbows and knees then use grappling takedowns and submission s.

I'd infact have no fear stepping up against a pro boxer in a real fight tomorrow. And I've only trained for fun.

Zero fear, now that should tell you something because I'm a big softie. And if you disregard a guy who says he's soft hearted but has no fear going toe to toe with you it's because you think he's crazy or you seriously underestimate what skills his training can do against yours.

Back