Boxing is one of the weakest martial art forms.

Agree with everything except karate
Wow, I think if you start as small kid, might be suitable. The same if middle age guy.
For teenagers and young males might be too much boring stuff ; The KATA :(stuff and bunkai stuff.
KB and MT doesn't demands such stuff and therefore less time required to learn too.
Imagine what might happen if KB/ MT gym demanded xx KATA<45>.

Boxing is weaker than pretty much any grappling martial art (wrestling, BJJ, judo etc...) But it's mid-tier when compared to the striking arts. Compared to traditional martial arts such as karate and taekwondo, boxing is superior. But when compared to kickboxing or muay thai, I'd say that it's not as good.

Yup, never.
MMA isn't tech street. Tech street isn't brawl in pub with local engineer.

...yet one of the most useful components of a fighter's arsenal. Thanks for an utterly pointless thread.

Muy Thai vs boxer? Muy Thai destroys the legs of the boxer, destroys him in the clinch, knees and elbows his head in.

Wrestler vs boxer? Wrestler slams boxer on his head and kills him.

BJJ vs boxer? Slams him on his head and strangles him to death.

Judo vs boxer? Same as above

Sambo? Same as above.

Karate? Gets head kicked KOed inside 1 minute.
All of these scenarios assume the boxer doesn't get out of the way using good footwork and spark them out.

Not the weakest, the best forms of martial art are the ones the fighters use regualry because they are effective.

ie
Wrestling
Boxing
BJJ
Sambo
Muay Thai
Kick Boxing
Judo

You get the occasional freak who has some crazy Karate, Tae Kwon Do or Kung FU but in general the ones listed above are the best martial arts.

Pretty much anything flash is shit.

Let's be honest. Sherdog has this weird obsession with boxers as if they are basically God's that are untouchable. But let's be real. Boxing ON ITS OWN, key words here, is weaker than almost all martial arts. I'm not even talking MMA because everyone already know they would kill a boxer like a child. I'm talking singular martial arts.

Muy Thai vs boxer? Muy Thai destroys the legs of the boxer, destroys him in the clinch, knees and elbows his head in.

Wrestler vs boxer? Wrestler slams boxer on his head and kills him.

BJJ vs boxer? Slams him on his head and strangles him to death.

Judo vs boxer? Same as above

Sambo? Same as above.

Karate? Gets head kicked KOed inside 1 minute.

I'm an amatuer Boxer currently so I'm not biased. Boxing MIXED with other combat forms is amazing. But alone vs other combat forms. Limited

You’re not an amateur boxer.

Boxers, like wrestlers, are almost all competitors, guys who go into the ring in competition rather than sparring (or rolling or randori etc) only in the safety of class. They're in far better shape, more athletic, and more used to the aggression of actual combat than recreational guys (which is 90% of judoka, BJJ'ers, and oddly enough, even MMA students). And much better at boxing than recreational guys are at whatever their style is. Most karate people are in even worse condition and less used to fully resisting opponents (they don't spar other than point-fighting even in class) .

On the other hand the initial post reminds me of the usnet forums twenty years ago, when 135 pound BJJ blue belts were saying they could easily take down and submit Mike Tyson. Because boxing sucks, etc.

Last edited:
Lets have 5 boxers vs 5 bjj guys and see who wins then

This reminds me of the usnet forums twenty years ago, when 135 pound BJJ blue belts were saying they could easily take down and submit Mike Tyson. As I said at the time, I'd happily bet on Tyson.
There were guys like this at my old Judo/Jujutsu school, who actually believed they'd beat world class strikers with their 4x a week grappling training. And I actually believed them and thought I could too! Until I started training how to box and learned how effective it actually is in a fight...

Lets have 5 boxers vs 5 bjj guys and see who wins then

Which five boxers and which five BJJ guys? If you're going to take random guys I'm betting on the boxers, because your average BJJ guy is an unathletic white or blue belt with a couple of years of twice a week training who's never actually competed, your average boxer is a athletic guy with several years of five days a week training and five or so amateur boxing tournaments.

If you're going to take the very top guys I'd bet on BJJ, because the boxers won't have the grappling, and at high levels everyone trains seriously and has a lot of competition experience. And of course, most top level BJJ guys have at least some striking from MMA training, very few boxers have any grappling training.

Where they fight is also important. If its in a ring or cage BJJ definitely, the boxers run out of room. On an open field or street boxers have a much better chance, because most BJJ'ers have poor takedown skills and lousy footwork (don't need any to pull guard), and the boxers could generally just keep to the outside and throw jabs until they wear the BJJ'ers out. Which incidentally is probably why the Gracies wanted a cage instead of an open mat area as in normal BJJ -- they needed the cage to limit striker's movement.

Last edited:
Boxing might close you in a box that takes away all the "wrong" ways to punch that would be great in MMA.
like Khabibs overhand right on Conor for instance.
No style is the best style. As Bruce Lee says, "be formless".

In the end of the day its just salty bitches that suck at boxing that try to shit at it. Cause boxing hands down is the most difficult martial art to master. Let a grappler take you down, and all you have to do is stick your fingers as deep into is eyes as you can and you won. Easy money. Theres hardly a way to cheat yourself out of a beating handed to you while standing up. Of courye you can try to kick the balls, or jab the eyes. But even at attacking the eyes, the boxer will be far more skilled. MMA favors grapplers over strikers, and still there are just as many striking world champs as there are grapplers. So to all the salty :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:s that suck at boxing, stick with dry humping other sweaty man and claim you are the shit.

Other than Machida and Wonderboy nobody has really used Karate as a base, other fighters adopt certain aspects like the wide stance and straight left, like Conor and Gunny Nelson etc, but as a whole its not really effective as a base, just elements you can borrow like tae kwon do.

Boxing is the only martial art my two lower back herniated disk allow me to practice nowadays.
Allow me to present my opinion.

Ive practiced TKD when i was a teenager because i had natural flexibility to kick. --> its utter trash. TKD people dont spar and have no idea how to deal with close combat, they are practically laymen. Sure, a head kick is fast and dangerous, but thats the only one trick pony they have.

Ive done Muay thai some years after: brutal, intimidating, ive realized how fucking WEAK and vulnerable ive been all that time. It was a harsh reality check. Getting hit is painful and not funny at all.
(as an untrained average joe, if you imagine a potential street fight you might think you just dodge and do this, and that etc. Practicing any decent martial art will make you almost cry thanks to the reality check lol)

BJJ: same feeling of vulnerability i had when i did Muay thai. Amazing martial art, you gotta use your brains, and i consider it the hardest martial art to learn. You gotta study, think, feel it. Fucking hard.

Unfortunately , both BJJ and MT made me fuck my lower back for life, so i must take good care of it and stay away from both sports.

My opinion about boxing: every training session makes you dehydrate. it requires good conditioning and you spar everyday. You get accustomed to not flinch at all and getting is hit is not longer that nightmare from before. It is far superior than fake trash like aikido, TKD , etc ; but i just cant see how a boxer can beat a tough muay thai fighter.

On its own obviously boxing is weak MMA form as are many other disciplines. However if you’re an Elite level boxer 10/10, with good wrestling 6/10 and decent muay thai or equivalent (check leg kicks) 3/10. The other guy is basically f**ked.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, it's the fighters. But of all the combat sports, boxing is the most technical and that is why it deserve the name sweet science.

Back