Boxing is one of the weakest martial art forms.

Eli1015

Martial Artist
@Brown
Reaction score
Let's be honest. Sherdog has this weird obsession with boxers as if they are basically God's that are untouchable. But let's be real. Boxing ON ITS OWN, key words here, is weaker than almost all martial arts. I'm not even talking MMA because everyone already know they would kill a boxer like a child. I'm talking singular martial arts.

Muy Thai vs boxer? Muy Thai destroys the legs of the boxer, destroys him in the clinch, knees and elbows his head in.

Wrestler vs boxer? Wrestler slams boxer on his head and kills him.

BJJ vs boxer? Slams him on his head and strangles him to death.

Judo vs boxer? Same as above

Sambo? Same as above.

Karate? Gets head kicked KOed inside 1 minute.

I'm an amatuer Boxer currently so I'm not biased. Boxing MIXED with other combat forms is amazing. But alone vs other combat forms. Limited

i mostly agree...but it's because of those limitations that becoming a high level boxer is so hard. and why overcoming someone more skilled than you can be a difficult task.

Let's be honest. Sherdog has this weird obsession with boxers as if they are basically God's that are untouchable. But let's be real. Boxing ON ITS OWN, key words here, is weaker than almost all martial arts. I'm not even talking MMA because everyone already know they would kill a boxer like a child. I'm talking singular martial arts.

Muy Thai vs boxer? Muy Thai destroys the legs of the boxer, destroys him in the clinch, knees and elbows his head in.

Wrestler vs boxer? Wrestler slams boxer on his head and kills him.

BJJ vs boxer? Slams him on his head and strangles him to death.

Judo vs boxer? Same as above

Sambo? Same as above.

Karate? Gets head kicked KOed inside 1 minute.

I'm an amatuer Boxer currently so I'm not biased. Boxing MIXED with other combat forms is amazing. But alone vs other combat forms. Limited
Not disagreeing don't care , I like to meet fellow combat sports competitors what's your real name , what city do and what AMA have you competed at ? Grats for taking on a very hard sport

didnt read but i agree with the title

the things they rely on in boxing won't work when kicks and knees are involved

Everytime I see that Conor avatar I just know something really fucking stupid is about to be said

Ok. But what does this have to do with Conor vs Floyd in a boxing ring?

All martial arts are limited. I'd rather use boxing in a street fight than BJJ, unless i had to.

Not disagreeing don't care , I like to meet fellow combat sports competitors what's your real name , what city do and what AMA have you competed at ? Grats for taking on a very hard sport
Not into giving out all my info at this early stage of my career. But. I'm 23. Have been training martial arts since I was a kid. Primarily tae Kwon doe up until about 16. Wrestled a bit in HS, started training MMA at an MMA gym called "Ralph Gracie's Chicago MMA" at like 17. Have dedicated the last 2 years to pure boxing. Have competed in the novice division of the Chicago golden gloves. Will be competing again in March of 2018.

weakest? nah. boxing by itself is somewhere in the middle. aikido, wing chun, systema, kung fu, karate are all bottom feeders. I'm sure there's a bunch more.

How the fuck is this relevant to this fight? They are BOXING.

weakest? nah. boxing by itself is somewhere in the middle. aikido, wing chun, systema, kung fu, karate are all bottom feeders. I'm sure there's a bunch more.
I meant real combat oriented martial arts. Aikido has no sparring. But Karate and certain forms of Kung Fu are still less limited than boxing. I'm not talking wing Chun. That shit is useless. I'm talking like sansho and kykushen karate.

Ninjitsu. i've never seen bigger dorks in my life. You're better off just learning Sherdog-jitsu.

No match up is definite and I wouldn't say that it one of the weakest, but it is certainly one of the most limited. I've seen boxers beat MMA fighters in MMA fights at my gym before. Shit happens, not all stylistic match ups are definite.

I'd say high level boxing is still more applicable than most forms of Karate. Kicking is nice but not a sure fire way to win against a boxer. I'd say as far as striking arts go boxing is only topped by Muay Thai, Western kick boxing, and Kyokushin Karate (although boxing tends to have much more developed competition).

But yeah it's very limited but makes for a great striking basis for MMA.

Also, I'm an amateur in MMA and Muay Thai. So, take that for what it's worth.

It depends on who is using what
None of the styles always beats another.
I would say boxing is just as valuable as any other because striking can daze or knock out an opponent, and hands are easier and safer to strike with.
If you are a mixed martial artist you should definitely want to keep working on it.
I am Picking McGregor on Saturday, but I was one of the only people picking Garbrandt to beat Cruz solely because of his amateur boxing background. I used to box too and knew Cruz's awkward footwork was the main reason he was so dominant at MMA fighting mostly wrestlers but it likely wouldn't work on a guy with so much boxing experience like Cody.

Agreed. MMA fighters should drop all their Boxing training and focus on another striking form. Boxing won't help you in the cage or street. Knowing how to throw punches and defend against punches is practically useless, no value in it at all.

Agreed. MMA fighters should drop all their Boxing training and focus on another striking form. Boxing won't help you in the cage or street. Knowing how to throw punches and defend against punches is practically useless, no value in it at all.
Never did I once say that Mr sarcasm. I said boxing alone. I'm talking singular martial art vs singular martial art. Any martial art will beat a bum on the street.

It depends on who is using what
None of the styles always beats another.
I would say boxing is just as valuable as any other because striking can daze or knock out an opponent, and hands are easier and safer to strike with.
If you are a mixed martial artist you should definitely want to keep working on it.
I am Picking McGregor on Saturday, but I was one of the only people picking Garbrandt to beat Cruz solely because of his amateur boxing background. I used to box too and knew Cruz's awkward footwork was the main reason he was so dominant at MMA fighting mostly wrestlers but it likely wouldn't work on a guy with so much boxing experience like Cody.

I don't think he is downplaying the importance of boxing. It is an integral aspect of MMA, but there is also a reason we are just now seeing a development of it in MMA. There are just some more important martial arts.

It depends how you look at it. Yes on a professional level against a martial artist who is sparring constantly and fighting matches, sure a boxer has fewer tools and is effective only in the punching range. However if you take 99.999% of guys off the street who recreationally train in boxing or other martial arts, I would bet on the boxer every time and expect the boxer to win 9 times out of 10.

Why? Because boxers, even recreational, train very hard compared to other martial artists and spar. Every lesson includes a lot of sparring. That's how you learn in boxing, sparring. Actual fighting. With actual proper hitting, not just fake hitting like happens in karate, taekwondo etc. You also learn a lot getting hit. You learn to control your emotions and fear. I'm an amateur boxer but also learn BJJ. With my BJJ, and it's a Gracie affiliated school, we roll a lot and try and make it realistic as possible with takedowns. But you still don't really get hit as you come in for a takedown. You learn how to avoid a kick, punch or knee and every now and then we kit on pads and the other guy really tries to knee you hard but we don't do it often. Not every lesson. Whereas with my boxing, we spar all the time. Of course it's controlled, we have head gear and we're not trying to always take each other's heads off but you get hit a lot and you get used to it.

I was training with one of our top BJJ guys who is a brown belt which is a very high level. So I suggested that with our sessions to make it a bit more realistic. So I donned some 16 oz gloves, he put some boxing head gear (not the full face cage we normally use when simulating full on takedowns against a striker) on and I had to get ready for him to take me down. He's very good and took me down a couple of times. However the first time I fooled him with a half punch and he rushed in, I lowered down and clocked him with a low hook to the side of the head he was totally shocked. I didn't even put a lot of heat into the punch and I'm also not a big puncher and weigh 165 lbs and this guy weighs closer to 190 lbs. He rips his head gear off all red in the face and wants to make sure everything is ok, that his temple isn't swelling etc. WTF.

I've seen this time and again with so many different martial artists. I was sparring this Hapkido double dan black belt and he had great kicks, and kicked me so hard through mid section pads once that I actually wondered if he broke one of my ribs. But the first time I clocked him on the nose, he has to stop. His nose wasn't even bleeding, he just couldn't see as his eyes were watering so much and he freaked out that his nose was broken when there was nothing in the punch. They're great until they get hit. Boxers even at just club level and non-competing are ok with getting hit. Of course a really hard shot makes you sh*t your pants and shocks you. But if you were to throw someone into a street fight and he wasn't a professional, just recreational level, the boxer would stand the best chance most of the time.

None of these are really martial arts. They are sports with various amounts of martial arts aspects allowed. Heck even javelin throwing is a sport based on martial arts. So is fencing, etc.

I'll take a boxer over a karate man in a street fight anytime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back