Boxing is one of the weakest martial art forms.

Again, here's a man who knows what's up.

Your experience is similar to mine. Unless you've boxed and trained in traditional martial arts, maybe some people just don't quite get the difference between the two. The ironic thing is with all these little nerds saying boxers aren't real fighters, it's literally the opposite. If you go to a boxing gym for the first time coming from a MA background it's quite a shock getting slammed in the nose by a hard jab for the first time, and you soon realise just how real boxing is.

Classic martial arts are the opposite - they are not fighting, they are pretending to fight. Boxers actually fight, even in sparring. It's full contact, hard sparring, and they can throw punches faster and harder and more accurately than anyone else.

Martial artists have no experience avoiding, or taking punches. Not only are they easy to hit, but when they do get hit they are incredibly easy to hurt as they just have no experience of taking it - just as you illustrated. And like Floyd himself said "It's OK being able to give it, but can you take it?".

I remember when I first got into martial arts. I did some taekwondo when I was a kid, then as I got older into my late teens quickly realised it was BS for real fighting. I started doing some karate and it was ok but still piss weak. I then got into Kyokushin karate which is pretty much supposed to be full contact karate and I have to say it's pretty full on at the higher levels and guys hit each other hard, but mostly to the body. However when I truly learnt how crap the formal art is, was when I had been doing it for a couple of years and had learnt all these blocks and started sparring with a mate who had just taken up boxing and had been doing it for literally no longer than 3 months. So he's throwing jabs at me and I've got NO CHANCE of coming close to blocking them with the traditional forearm blocks. He gets his jab through easily before my forearm is able to parry his arm. Sometimes he even gets his jab back and into his guard, that's how slow and ineffective it is. So first I thought maybe I'm just truly shit. So I asked him to come along to our kyokushin school and try it with one of the 3rd dan black belts who's even trained in Japan hardcore. Same. He can't block a simple jab or even a straight/cross. Basically he only has some success at blocking wild hooks.

I pretty much left Kyokushin that week and started training in boxing and never looked back. However I recognise it's important to have some ground game in case the fight does go to the ground which they do reasonably often as two guys tussle, trip over each other and both end up on the ground. But leg kicks and shit are useless. Sure they're useful in MMA, but they're fucking useless in REAL FIGHTING. I've seen a lot of street fights in my time, some years back used to work at a restaurant just opposite a club and I'd see at least half a dozen real fights almost every night, especially weekends, and I barely saw any where kicks were thrown and for most of them the dudes never even had any room to throw kicks. It was either a wild swinging fist fight affair, end up in a tussle and go to the ground where 5 times out of 10 one of the guy's mates would run in and kick the other guy in the head or ribs, or it'd get broken up quickly. A few times I saw guys who knew what they were doing the guy who knew what he was doing would get in close quickly and land a couple of punches and other guy goes down or gives up. Fight's over.

I've been in a couple of real fights when I've been less mature and decided not to take shit from some idiot at a club. So far have been lucky that none of these idiots have known what they were doing but a few them sure could throw a punch. I never needed to do anything fancy, just cover up a bit and get hit with a couple of big haymakers where most of the blow landed on my forearms and a bit of fist on my head which I was ok with, and then my turn. All the fights I've ended I've hit them with a hook close in into the ribs/liver/kidneys. Hit hard like I was hitting a heavy bag. Fight over instantly.

There were/are a couple of guys in my boxing club who are even more stupid than I am, and get into a lot of street fights. Some of them are a rough sort and enjoy it. They do pretty well in their fights too though it's a fool's game because one of these days they'll get knifed.

Last edited:
I remember when I first got into martial arts. I did some taekwondo when I was a kid, then as I got older into my late teens quickly realised it was BS for real fighting. I started doing some karate and it was ok but still piss weak. I then got into Kyokushin karate which is pretty much supposed to be full contact karate and I have to say it's pretty full on at the higher levels and guys hit each other hard, but mostly to the body. However when I truly learnt how crap the formal art is, was when I had been doing it for a couple of years and had learnt all these blocks and started sparring with a mate who had just taken up boxing and had been doing it for literally no longer than 3 months. So he's throwing jabs at me and I've got NO CHANCE of coming close to blocking them with the traditional forearm blocks. He gets his jab through easily before my forearm is able to parry his arm. Sometimes he even gets his jab back and into his guard, that's how slow and ineffective it is. So first I thought maybe I'm just truly shit. So I asked him to come along to our kyokushin school and try it with one of the 3rd dan black belts who's even trained in Japan hardcore. Same. He can't block a simple jab or even a straight/cross. Basically he only has some success at blocking wild hooks.

I pretty much left Kyokushin that week and started training in boxing and never looked back. However I recognise it's important to have some ground game in case the fight does go to the ground which they do reasonably often as two guys tussle, trip over each other and both end up on the ground. But leg kicks and shit are useless. Sure they're useful in MMA, but they're fucking useless in REAL FIGHTING. I've seen a lot of street fights in my time, some years back used to work at a restaurant just opposite a club and I'd see at least half a dozen real fights almost every night, especially weekends, and I barely saw any where kicks were thrown and for most of them the dudes never even had any room to throw kicks. It was either a wild swinging fist fight affair, end up in a tussle and go to the ground where 5 times out of 10 one of the guy's mates would run in and kick the other guy in the head or ribs, or it'd get broken up quickly. A few times I saw guys who knew what they were doing the guy who knew what he was doing would get in close quickly and land a couple of punches and other guy goes down or gives up. Fight's over.

I've been in a couple of real fights when I've been less mature and decided not to take shit from some idiot at a club. So far have been lucky that none of these idiots have known what they were doing but a few them sure could throw a punch. I never needed to do anything fancy, just cover up a bit and get hit with a couple of big haymakers where most of the blow landed on my forearms and a bit of fist on my head which I was ok with, and then my turn. All the fights I've ended I've hit them with a hook close in into the ribs/liver/kidneys. Hit hard like I was hitting a heavy bag. Fight over instantly.

There were/are a couple of guys in my boxing club who are even more stupid than I am, and get into a lot of street fights. Some of them are a rough sort and enjoy it. They do pretty well in their fights too though it's a fool's game because one of these days they'll get knifed.

What city are you from? 6 fights a night outside one club is a fucking lot :D

Last edited:
What city are you from? 6 fights a night outside one club is a fucking lot :D

London. Though currently residing in Sydney (actually currently holidaying in Italy!). Outside of the UK, which isn't part of Europe anymore anyway, most of the rest of Europe is generally very cool and guys handle their alcohol well. In fact the only trouble I've seen so far during my holidays was in Barcelona and it was caused by drunk British idiots.

Let's be honest. Sherdog has this weird obsession with boxers as if they are basically God's that are untouchable. But let's be real. Boxing ON ITS OWN, key words here, is weaker than almost all martial arts. I'm not even talking MMA because everyone already know they would kill a boxer like a child. I'm talking singular martial arts.

Muy Thai vs boxer? Muy Thai destroys the legs of the boxer, destroys him in the clinch, knees and elbows his head in.

Wrestler vs boxer? Wrestler slams boxer on his head and kills him.

BJJ vs boxer? Slams him on his head and strangles him to death.

Judo vs boxer? Same as above

Sambo? Same as above.

Karate? Gets head kicked KOed inside 1 minute.

I'm an amatuer Boxer currently so I'm not biased. Boxing MIXED with other combat forms is amazing. But alone vs other combat forms. Limited
I agree with your post, but I do think boxing makes a great base for a high level MMA fighter - after devoting years to developing the other parts of striking and grappling, boxing skills can be really useful.

The boxing love around these parts appears to have gone too far though. You have people saying that a year of training is enough for a high level boxer to transition to MMA...a year isn't enough time to learn very much and you need a lot of fights to successfully transition, just like any other sport.

Ugh this whole sub forum is hot garbage
Yep. But aren't you glad it's here? It keeps stuff out of the main forum, so only when you are truly bored do you read about it.

Let's be honest. Sherdog has this weird obsession with boxers as if they are basically God's that are untouchable. But let's be real. Boxing ON ITS OWN, key words here, is weaker than almost all martial arts. I'm not even talking MMA because everyone already know they would kill a boxer like a child. I'm talking singular martial arts.

Muy Thai vs boxer? Muy Thai destroys the legs of the boxer, destroys him in the clinch, knees and elbows his head in.

Wrestler vs boxer? Wrestler slams boxer on his head and kills him.

BJJ vs boxer? Slams him on his head and strangles him to death.

Judo vs boxer? Same as above

Sambo? Same as above.

Karate? Gets head kicked KOed inside 1 minute.

I'm an amatuer Boxer currently so I'm not biased. Boxing MIXED with other combat forms is amazing. But alone vs other combat forms. Limited

Boxing is probably the most useful and usable discipline to use in real life. You literally end a fight in a split second. A well placed shot to the jaw or gut, and that person is done.

No need to go to the ground. One and done.

So you think martial arts forms that dont allow hitting in the face is better suited for fighting than boxing?

Take your jiu jitsu class and pray you don't have to get the reality check you need.
"I'll just take him down and voila".lol

Hi ! I've just discover this thread.
I don't understand the point , for me boxing is a sport even an art at higher level, it's not a sport made for no rules situation where knife, gun or baseball Bats are involved.
Same thing with, karaté, Muay thaï , bjj or wrestling it's sport, with rules.
If there are no rules I take my car and hit the guy, Roll over him, don't Care if it's a heavy weight MMA champion , this motherfucker die.
And after rolling him over, I remove the pin from a grenade and put it in his stupid asshole cockiest motherfucking mouth.

Boxing is a pretty limited form of fighting. As a result, those at the top of the game are excellent at what they do, because the focus is much narrower.

MMA fighters almost never reach the level of focused skill a boxer reaches because they have to train a much broader array of skills.

But the MMA fighter would annihilate a boxer in a MMA fight or a street fight. They'd get KTFO'd in boxing, though.

Not sure how any of this is controversial to be honest

By itself, I agree. Boxing alone is way too susceptible to takedowns and helpless once on the mat. But, I think what MMA has shown us over the years is that every martial art by itself has serious limitations when facing someone with a well rounded skill set.

Which martial art will you use when you're being attacked by 3 dudes, ts.

1 vs. 1, I'd say it's one of the most solid striking bases. Probably only second to MT. Traditional martial arts don't have very good footwork. I wouldn't favor a good TKD or Karate fighter vs. a good boxer. Against a MT fighter or kick boxer, the boxer would still have a good shot since most fights have punches.

1 vs. 1, multiple opponents, it's actually one of the most effective, whereas grappling wrestling and bjj are two of the weakest. You try to grapple in a street fight and you're getting your head kicked.

32d43eb4fc998e695fa99cac22760316.gif

All in all I think it depends on the context, but I wouldn't say boxing is one of the weakest.

Limited my ass. You know what would happen to a pure grappler who gets attacked by multiple people in the street?

Good boxing has carried a multitude of fighters to the top of their weight class. Don't even know how this is an argument.

It depends how you look at it. Yes on a professional level against a martial artist who is sparring constantly and fighting matches, sure a boxer has fewer tools and is effective only in the punching range. However if you take 99.999% of guys off the street who recreationally train in boxing or other martial arts, I would bet on the boxer every time and expect the boxer to win 9 times out of 10.

Why? Because boxers, even recreational, train very hard compared to other martial artists and spar. Every lesson includes a lot of sparring. That's how you learn in boxing, sparring. Actual fighting. With actual proper hitting, not just fake hitting like happens in karate, taekwondo etc. You also learn a lot getting hit. You learn to control your emotions and fear. I'm an amateur boxer but also learn BJJ. With my BJJ, and it's a Gracie affiliated school, we roll a lot and try and make it realistic as possible with takedowns. But you still don't really get hit as you come in for a takedown. You learn how to avoid a kick, punch or knee and every now and then we kit on pads and the other guy really tries to knee you hard but we don't do it often. Not every lesson. Whereas with my boxing, we spar all the time. Of course it's controlled, we have head gear and we're not trying to always take each other's heads off but you get hit a lot and you get used to it.

I was training with one of our top BJJ guys who is a brown belt which is a very high level. So I suggested that with our sessions to make it a bit more realistic. So I donned some 16 oz gloves, he put some boxing head gear (not the full face cage we normally use when simulating full on takedowns against a striker) on and I had to get ready for him to take me down. He's very good and took me down a couple of times. However the first time I fooled him with a half punch and he rushed in, I lowered down and clocked him with a low hook to the side of the head he was totally shocked. I didn't even put a lot of heat into the punch and I'm also not a big puncher and weigh 165 lbs and this guy weighs closer to 190 lbs. He rips his head gear off all red in the face and wants to make sure everything is ok, that his temple isn't swelling etc. WTF.

I've seen this time and again with so many different martial artists. I was sparring this Hapkido double dan black belt and he had great kicks, and kicked me so hard through mid section pads once that I actually wondered if he broke one of my ribs. But the first time I clocked him on the nose, he has to stop. His nose wasn't even bleeding, he just couldn't see as his eyes were watering so much and he freaked out that his nose was broken when there was nothing in the punch. They're great until they get hit. Boxers even at just club level and non-competing are ok with getting hit. Of course a really hard shot makes you sh*t your pants and shocks you. But if you were to throw someone into a street fight and he wasn't a professional, just recreational level, the boxer would stand the best chance most of the time.
Very well articulated

Or they step to the side and face punch you.

You just sound like a shitty boxer and don't understand the sweet science.

Back