Almost 9 years after the best mma performance ever, what are the top 5 matrix moments in the UFC?

Well that was disappointing...Always figured it was rap or breakdance battle cause he dont look like a fighter. With that crowd reaction i was expecting something good but we wasnt even as good as Mali-boo

Nah you’re just butthurt to realize that silva striking is not on cruz level
AstonishingAdmiredBird.gif

BitterWetGreatdane.gif
To be fair, Cruz's striking is like 90% his movement. All of his strikes are technically shit.

I remember thinking before that fight that if Forrest can pull off beating Shogun and Rampage, then he might just have a chance against Silva.

Then the fight happened...

This fight is still that one you can show to someone new to the sport, and they’d be awestruck. Still one of the most dominant, spectacular fights of all time.

Wow. Can't believe it's already been 9 years since Jones/Shogun.

Because that was a more consummate beatdown against a MUCH better opponent.

Last edited:
Forrest isn't as mentally strong as Aldo. That's why Jose wants the rematch. Aldo believes in himself always. He'd take a third fight with Holloway I bet.
Really? Did you know that Forrest came back and fought Tito Ortiz twice after losing to him? Do you know that Forrest won a fight with a broken arm? And that he fought Dan Severn, who was only 4 years removed from fighting Mark Coleman for the UFC heavyweight title, in his very first fight?

Theres more to being a great striker than killing pillow fist brawler and one dimensional puncher...you know
Yeah, like knocking out iron chin Leben, Vitor, Marquardt, Franklin x2 and out-gunning Hendo missile-for-missile before getting the sub, all without ever seeing the third round....

Really? Did you know that Forrest came back and fought Tito Ortiz twice after losing to him? Do you know that Forrest won a fight with a broken arm? And that he fought Dan Severn, who was only 4 years removed from fighting Mark Coleman for the UFC heavyweight title, in his very first fight?
Yeah, he rematched Tito after losing a super close split decision lol. Of course he wanted a rematch. Nice use of context. Nobody's saying Forrest isn't tough (he obviously is) or cant battle through injury, or doesn't want to challenge himself, just that his self belief isn't like Aldo's, and he doesn't go right back into rematches after a humiliating loss.

I remember thinking before that fight that if Forrest can pull off beating Shogun and Rampage, then he might just have a chance against Silva.

Then the fight happened...

This fight is still that one you can show to someone new to the sport, and they’d be awestruck. Still one of the most dominant, spectacular fights of all time.
This. Anyone trying to downplay that performance is just making it obvious they weren’t around when it happened.

Nice choice of gifs from Machida. Great flurry in the 1st one: mid section kick followed by a left-right (x2 while pressing forward) followed by a jumping knee (that missed Davis's head by an inch). Great combo, beautifully executed technique.

lol the way Forest is throwing his punches... looks like he was payed to take a dive. He's a company man after all and still employed by the UFC 9 years later despite Chuck and Matt getting fired.... hmmmm

Forrest actually legitimately works for the UFC though as part of their outreach program. That's the difference and why he still has a job.

You probably weren't around back then but the UFC literally made a gag video about Chuck's one ever job done for them:

Forrest got mauled and embarrassed by Rashad in his previous fight

Forrest was handily winning the Rashad fight up until the last 20 seconds. He didn't get mauled at all.

Forrest actually legitimately works for the UFC though as part of their outreach program. That's the difference and why he still has a job.

You probably weren't around back then but the UFC literally made a gag video about Chuck's one ever job done for them:

Forrest was handily winning the Rashad fight up until the last 20 seconds. He didn't get mauled at all.

I was referring to the sequence that ended the fight. He mauled him and embarrassed Forrest.

To this day people still underrate the Forrest win. Prime Silva was untouchable and no doubt would have taken the title if he'd wanted. Not many at LHW signed to fight him, and those that did got obliterated.
Rua would thrash him I believe

This was impressive.
9p5a0xz.gif
This and TJ v Barao 1 left me far more wide eyed and blown away than Conor beating Aldo. I just wanted an awesome fight there and left disappointed.
Silva vs Bonnar was amazing too.

Last edited:
I don't think beating a (supposedly compromised in camp) non p4p elite fighter can be called the best performance ever. One of the most one sided 'elite' fights for sure, but I don't think Forrest measures up to some other opponents.

More impressive performances for me would include:
Conor vs Aldo
TJ vs Barao
Cain vs JDS
Fedor vs Nog
Cody vs Cruz ?

Cody vs Cruz ?
Another great one! I went back and forth on including it, I ended up excluding it because Cruz did win 2 rounds, but I think it could definitely be included given how slick and in control Cody was throughout the whole fight.

I don't think beating a (supposedly compromised in camp) non p4p elite fighter can be called the best performance ever. One of the most one sided 'elite' fights for sure, but I don't think Forrest measures up to some other opponents.

More impressive performances for me would include:
Conor vs Aldo
TJ vs Barao
Cain vs JDS
Fedor vs Nog
Conor caught Aldo cold so that should not be included. But the other three are better examples.

How retarded does someone have to be not to factor in the quality of opponent when talking about the most impressive performance ever? Silva matrixing Griffin was fun to watch, but it is so not the best performance ever.

I was pretty awestruck by ones like Conor/Aldo, Conor/Alvarez, and Cruz/Garbrandt. Silva's best moment for me was when he knocked out Vitor Belfort with that front kick, particularly because Belfort was still a dangerous mofo back then.

People seem to forget that Forrest was supposed to be a punishment for Anderson and somebody who would "force him to fight"

Yeah, in hindsight it was a mismatch but at the time very few people were saying that and many were picking Forrest who was 1 fight removed from being a champion with wins over Rampage and Shogun.

Everyone also seems to forget he was winning the Rashad fight before he got hurt and finished back when Rashad was a beast.

That performance was extremely impressive when it happened and pretty much nobody expected it to be that one sided.

Anderson mentally broke Forrest in that fight and he was never the same after that, he lost all his confidence and people only remember the Forrest after that fight instead of the Forrest leading up to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back