Almost 9 years after the best mma performance ever, what are the top 5 matrix moments in the UFC?

People seem to forget that Forrest was supposed to be a punishment for Anderson and somebody who would "force him to fight"

Yeah, in hindsight it was a mismatch but at the time very few people were saying that and many were picking Forrest who was 1 fight removed from being a champion with wins over Rampage and Shogun.

Everyone also seems to forget he was winning the Rashad fight before he got hurt and finished back when Rashad was a beast.

That performance was extremely impressive when it happened and pretty much nobody expected it to be that one sided.

Anderson mentally broke Forrest in that fight and he was never the same after that, he lost all his confidence and people only remember the Forrest after that fight instead of the Forrest leading up to it.
Seeing posts like this, waxing poetically, is cringe

Forrest took a Xanax for that fight

People aren't even allowed to legally drive while on Xanax

Forrest was as compromised a fighter as ever. It might as well have been a fixed fight

Plus Forrest was a gift hand picked match up to make Anderson look good (low IQ brawler)

Plus Forrest was KOd in sparring a week before the fight (per Joe Rogan)

Forrest was as compromised as possible

Anderson vs Forrest wasn't a legit fight in any sense of the word

Anderson vs Forrest wasn't impressive by any means

Here is what happened when Anders on tried that same "matrix shit" against am actual competent opponent who wasn't compromised

49ac8d5106ed088acf91968297ac124e.jpg

The only legit correct answers to this thread is Conor vs Aldo/Conor vs Alvarez...Garbrandt vs Cruz...Cerrone vs Story etc etc

People seem to forget that Forrest was supposed to be a punishment for Anderson and somebody who would "force him to fight"

Yeah, in hindsight it was a mismatch but at the time very few people were saying that and many were picking Forrest who was 1 fight removed from being a champion with wins over Rampage and Shogun.

Everyone also seems to forget he was winning the Rashad fight before he got hurt and finished back when Rashad was a beast.

That performance was extremely impressive when it happened and pretty much nobody expected it to be that one sided.

Anderson mentally broke Forrest in that fight and he was never the same after that, he lost all his confidence and people only remember the Forrest after that fight instead of the Forrest leading up to it.
Great post. Completely agree.

I don't think beating a (supposedly compromised in camp) non p4p elite fighter can be called the best performance ever. One of the most one sided 'elite' fights for sure, but I don't think Forrest measures up to some other opponents.

More impressive performances for me would include:
Conor vs Aldo
TJ vs Barao
Cain vs JDS
Fedor vs Nog

Fedor nog? GTFO.

Nate Marquardt has some pretty cool Tekken combos

I don't like this line of argument. Do you rate Cain's first round demolitions of Bigfoot as better performances than his 5 round win over JDS? If Holloway left the UFC and beat the ever loving shit out of some can, using showtime kicks, flying whatevers, would that be a better performance than his much closer wins over Aldo? I don't see how people can avoid the opponent in this discussion?

Yes, based purely on PERFORMANCE alone. There has to be a word for what I’m referring to, and for the years I’ve watched this sport, performance has been that. McGregor had a better PERFORMANCE against Aldo, but Holloway’s was the better win.

So if we're just talking a total destruction completely irrespective of opponent then the Forrest fight doesn't even register. Maybe it would be Fulton-Bullock or something ridiculous like that.

Opponent has to factor in to performance. I don't accept that it should be ignored.
Total and complete destruction does count toward a good performance. But that’s not what this was. This was more than that.
I’m not sure what you’re angling for here. Are you trying to say there’s nothing special about this performance at all? You’ve seen it go down like that plenty of times before? You sound like you don’t understand.
Whether you factor in quality of opponent or not, it doesn’t matter. This kind of effortless performance hasn’t been replicated in MMA since. No other fighter can afford to fight like this, against an unranked fighter or a former world champion.

Total and complete destruction does count toward a good performance. But that’s not what this was. This was more than that.
I’m not sure what you’re angling for here. Are you trying to say there’s nothing special about this performance at all? You’ve seen it go down like that plenty of times before? Surely you get the OPs point.
Whether you factor in quality of opponent or not, it doesn’t matter. This kind of effortless performance hasn’t been replicated in MMA since.
Not saying there's nothing special about the performance, it was very good, great even. However, it wasn't the "best of all time", because of other spectacular showings against much better opponents.

Not saying there's nothing special about the performance, it was very good, great even. However, it wasn't the "best of all time", because of other spectacular showings against much better opponents.

Of course, you don’t have to agree. It’s always going to be debatable. Different viewers value different qualities in fighters. But at least now you acknowledge the difference between a quality performance and a quality win, and because of that, you could see why some would refer to it as the greatest performance of all time.

Forrest is a good fighter, but I rate a win over forrest about a hundred times less than I rate that win over Aldo. A 13 second knockout of one of the true greatest fighters of all time, stopping his 10 year run is leagues better than a domination of Forrest. If we're talking humiliation, the Aldo one is almost worse, right?

I don't even like Conor or rate his legacy highly overall, but that win is in a different league IMO. As are all the others, coming over much better fighters than Griffin.

Aldo got caught... nothing special or new.
Forrest got matrixed... unique and eternal.

Yes, based purely on PERFORMANCE alone. There has to be a word for what I’m referring to, and for the years I’ve watched this sport, performance has been that. McGregor had a better PERFORMANCE against Aldo, but Holloway’s was the better win.
Conor had both over Holloway

I mean surely you can't be serious

Holloway beat Aldo only after Conor beat him first

Conor was the first one to ever beat Aldo in 10 years

It was Conor who ended Aldo's reign

Conor's win over Aldo Is the most significant win over Aldo period - and the most impressive performance against the best Aldo

People will bend over backwards to refuse giving Conor any credit. It's sad

Last edited:
Aldo got caught... nothing special or new.
Forrest got matrixed... unique and eternal.

Anderson continually dropping a Xanax Forrest who had been KOd the week before in sparring, WAS not in any way impressive in the least bit.

Plus Forrest was a hand picked LOW IQ brawler who was only there to make Anderson look good lol

We all saw what happened when Anderson started fighting actual disciplined fundamentally sound strikers in Weidman and Bisping. Anderson started getting outclassed then.

Aldo was an actual legit striker.

A fighter who was ranked #1 p4p.

A fighter who is literally a million times better then Forrest could ever dream of being.

A fighter who many believed on paper was actually a bad natch up for Conor

This isn't even in the same stratosphere of comparison

Conor then counter fucked Aldo from the inside angle in a blink of an eye.

You know what was some real matrix shit?

The way Conor precossed everything within nano seconds against an an elite striker and reacted even faster then that,

Made the adjustment in his footwork even quicker and lined up the counter kill shot from a 90 degree angle all before Aldo could even finish his punch

That was real boxing skill right there. That was real neo shit from the matrix

The difference between Anderson's performance vs Forrest - and Conor'ss performance vs Aldo, It was like dodging a broken down honda civic going 5 mph, compared to dodging a fucking Ferrari going 150mph while then being able to jump inside the open window of it going 150mph.

Again, no comparison what so ever

Anderson is like a house cat taking down rats. Conor is like a fucking TIGER taking down black bears and wilderbeasts

Maybe you guys just dont understand what you're watching, and that's why its so easy to go ga ga over Anderson (Instead of recognizing the truly special things Conor does). And I don't mean that in any negative way at all. A lot of people sinply just don't know. The point is to learn and correct ignorance. I myself was that ignorant at one point, and it wasnt until I took the time over years to truly understand fighting on a deep level that I finally started to appreciate the absolute mastery and genuis of Conor McGregor

If you have any questions, or would like any breakdowns etc, let me know.

Anyways, It doesn't matter how soon it happened, the fact is, the counter Conor hit on Aldo from the inside angle was a matrix performance...and it was against an actual legit opponent...to even do that in 13 seconds is unheard of and unique

I like how people in this thread are trying to act like it's a normal occurance to just counter-KO a p4p#1 ranked fighter in 13 seconds

Crazy right @Sapp ?

I hope everone else sees the absurdity of that talking point

Conor also MATRIX fucked Alavarez too so yeah......So you know that it's all about Conor actually being the real Neo from the Matrix who Matrix's everyone and anyone he comes into contact with no matter who they are

Where as Anderson only ever Matrix'd hand picked LOW IQ brawler Forrest...gee I wonder why lmao

This shouldnt even be up for debate

Most historians and analysts will disregard Anderson's win over Forrest

Meanwhile Conor's wins over Aldo and Alvarez will always be GOAT wins and matrix performances

@Superzorro @Kung Fu bb @MMAfanboy4life @EGarrett @SteveMR @bubbleboyjones

Last edited:
Anderson continually dropping a Xanax Forrest who had been KOd the week before in sparring, WAS not in any way impressive in the least bit

Not to mention that Forrest was a hand picked LOW IQ brawler who was only there to make Anderson look good

We all saw what happened when Anderson started fighting actual disciplined fundamentally sound strikers in Weidman and Bisping. Anderson started getting outclassed then.

Aldo was an actual legit striker.

A fighter who was ranked #1 p4p.

A fighter who is literally a million times better then Forrest could ever dream of being.

A fighter who many believed on paper was actually a bad natch up for Conor

This isn't even in the same stratosphere of comparison

Conor then counter fucked Aldo from the inside angle in a blink of an eye.

You know what was some real matrix shit?

The way Conor precossed everything within nano seconds against an an elite striker and reacted even faster then that,

Made the adjustment in his footwork even quicker and lined up the counter kill shot from a 90 degree angle all before Aldo could even finish his punch

That was real boxing skill right there. That was real neo shit from the matrix

The difference between Conor's performance vs Aldo - and Anderson's performance vs Forrest, It was like dodging a broken down honda civic going 5 mph, compared to dodging a fucking Ferrari going 150mph while then being able to jump inside the open window of it going 150mph.

Again, no comparison what so ever

Anderson is like a house cat taking down rats. Conor is like a fucking TIGER taking down black bears and wilderbeasts

Maybe you guys just dont understand what you're watching, and that's why its so easy to go ga ga over Anderson (Instead of recognizing the truly special things Conor does). And I don't mean that in any negative way at all. A lot of people sinply just don't know. The point is to learn and correct ignorance. I myself was that ignorant at one point, and it wasnt until I took the time over years to truly understand fighting on a deeper that I finally started to appreciate the abolsute mastery and genuis of Conor McGregor

If you have any questions, would like any breakdowns etc, let me know.

Anyways, It doesn't matter how soon it happened, the fact is, the counter Conoe hit on Aldo from the inside angle was a matrix performance...and it was against an actual legit opponent...to even do that in 13 seconds is unheard of and unique

I like how people in this thread are trying to act like it's a normal occurance to just counter-KO a p4p#1 ranked fighter in 13 seconds

Crazy right @Sapp ?

I hope everone else sees the absurdity of that talking point

Conor also MATRIX fucked Alavarez too so yeah......So you know that it's all about Conor actually being the real Neo from the Matrix who Matrix's everyone and any one he comes into contact with no matter who they are

Where as Anderson only ever Matrix'd hand picked LOW IQ brawler Forrest...gee I wonder why lmao

This shouldnt even be up for debate

Most historians and analysts will disregard Anderson's win over Forrest

Meanwhile Conor's wins over Aldo and Alvarez will always be GOAT wins and matrix performances
]
I don't know if I'd go this far but I agree with the general sentiment. For sure the downplaying going on is excessive and Conor-Aldo is in the short list of greatest performances ever, if not the greatest.

I don't know if I'd go this far but I agree with the general sentiment. For sure the downplaying going on is excessive and Conor-Aldo is in the short list of greatest performances ever, if not the greatest.
Seriously. Like if you see #1 p4p ranked fighters getting counter-KOd every year lol.

As if Anderson knocking out Forrest was unheard of, when Forrrest had already been KOd by Jardin before Anderson LOL

Only on sherdog is a win over Forrest fucking Griffen even up for debate and considered within the same realm of a win over a prime 10 year undefeated ALDO

People's hate for Conor blinds them to reality

We´ve seen a lot of great fighters after Silva, like Khabib, Stipe, Dillashaw, but I don´t think there´s anyone even close to Silva.

Matrix Siva was the most spectacular fighter we´ve seen.

What are the top 5 matrix moments in the UFC?
<{silvanormal}>

tbh that guy looked like shit

Also it should be noted that Forrest was BADLY KO'd by Rashad right before the Anderson fight. People are trying yo rewrite Anderson as if Anderson beat Forrest when Forrest was a champ

As a matter of fact I would say that Machida's performance over Rashad>>>>>>Anderson's performance over Forrest as well

Back