Almost 9 years after the best mma performance ever, what are the top 5 matrix moments in the UFC?

Kung Fu bb

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
We´ve seen a lot of great fighters after Silva, like Khabib, Stipe, Dillashaw, but I don´t think there´s anyone even close to Silva.

Matrix Siva was the most spectacular fighter we´ve seen.

What are the top 5 matrix moments in the UFC?
<{silvanormal}>

Holm ducking Ronda's punch and Ronda falling into the cage. <DCrying>

1d9cc436fa164d52a01ba99026d50d03.gif

tumblr_oc9ax8b9z71u2ragso1_500.gif

Geez has it been nine years? This was the second UFC event I ever watched, I remember one of my friends was hyping up Forrest so much because he beat Rampage.

I don't think beating a (supposedly compromised in camp) non p4p elite fighter can be called the best performance ever. One of the most one sided 'elite' fights for sure, but I don't think Forrest measures up to some other opponents.

More impressive performances for me would include:
Conor vs Aldo
TJ vs Barao
Cain vs JDS
Fedor vs Nog

I don't think beating a (supposedly compromised in camp) non p4p elite fighter can be called the best performance ever. One of the most one sided 'elite' fights for sure, but I don't think Forrest measures up to some other opponents.

Conor vs Aldo
TJ vs Barao
Cain vs JDS
Fedor vs Nog
He may not be a pfp, but Forrest beat guys like Rampage, Shogun and became the LHW champ. None of the guys you mentioned went up and matrix the fuck out of a former LHW champ 1 fight removed from the title like Silva did. None of them put on that kind of humiliating performance. As DC said "there are levels to this thing".

Super Saiyan Cerrone on Rick Story was beautiful.

DJ's suplex to armbar.

Penn/Sanchez was flawless for four plus rounds.

Conor vs Aldo
TJ vs Barao
Cain vs JDS
Fedor vs Nog

When people rate "performances," or use the term "good performance," I don't think they're ever referring to the quality of opponent. They're simply referring to how the winner looked in their victory, how easy it was for them. Even though Cody Garbrandt was fighting a lower ranked fighter in Thomas Almeida, his "performance" there was better than it was against Dominick Cruz.

Or at least that's how I've interpreted it over the years.

He may not be a pfp, but Forrest beat guys like Rampage, Shogun and became the LHW champ. None of the guys you mentioned went up and matrix the fuck out of a former LHW champ 1 fight removed from the title like Silva did. None of them put on that kind of humiliating performance. As DC said "there are levels to this thing".
Forrest is a good fighter, but I rate a win over forrest about a hundred times less than I rate that win over Aldo. A 13 second knockout of one of the true greatest fighters of all time, stopping his 10 year run is leagues better than a domination of Forrest. If we're talking humiliation, the Aldo one is almost worse, right?

I don't even like Conor or rate his legacy highly overall, but that win is in a different league IMO. As are all the others, coming over much better fighters than Griffin.

Forrest is a good fighter, but I rate a win over forrest about a hundred times less than I rate that win over Aldo. A 13 second knockout of one of the true greatest fighters of all time, stopping his 10 year run is leagues better than a domination of Forrest. If we're talking humiliation, the Aldo one is almost worse, right?

I don't even like Conor or rate his legacy highly overall, but that win is in a different league IMO. As are all the others, coming over much better fighters than Griffin.
You are rating the importance of the victory, which i agree with you, it´s obviously a bigger victory than Silva's over Griffin. But in terms of greatest mma performance??? Nah.... Conor landed a well timed counter strike. It´s hard, but it happens. We´ve seen other fighters get KOed with a 1 punch counter strike and so have you. But have we ever seen what Silva did to Forrest before or after that fight? You know we haven´t.

When people rate "performances," or use the term "good performance," I don't think they're ever referring to the quality of opponent. They're simply referring to how the winner looked in their victory, how easy it was for them. Even though Cody Garbrandt was fighting a lower ranked fighter in Thomas Almeida, his "performance" there was better than it was against Dominick Cruz.

Or at least that's how I've interpreted it over the years.
I don't like this line of argument. Do you rate Cain's first round demolitions of Bigfoot as better performances than his 5 round win over JDS? If Holloway left the UFC and beat the ever loving shit out of some can, using showtime kicks, flying whatevers, would that be a better performance than his much closer wins over Aldo? I don't see how people can avoid the opponent in this discussion?

You are rating the importance of the victory, which i agree with you, it´s obviously a bigger victory than Silva's over Griffin. But in terms of greatest mma performance??? Nah.... Conor landed a well timed counter striker. It´s hard, but it happens. We´ve seen other fighters get KOed with a 1 punch counter strike and so have you. But have we ever seen what Silva did to Forrest before or after that fight? You know we haven´t.

Silva definitely has his holes as a fighter but when the matchup was good and he was on no one looked as spectacular.

You are rating the importance of the victory, which i agree with you, it´s obviously a bigger victory than Silva's over Griffin. But in terms of greatest mma performance??? Nah.... Conor landed a well timed counter strike. It´s hard, but it happens. We´ve seen other fighters get KOed with a 1 punch counter strike and so have you. But have we ever seen what Silva did to Forrest before or after that fight? You know we haven´t.
I have never seen anything like the Conor fight with Aldo, before or after. To see the arguable p4p #1 and GOAT contender go down seconds into the first round was incomprehensible to me, one of the most shocking moments of all time in my book. If you want to talk about a unique fight, that's the one. I don't think "it happens" is fair given the context. Beating Aldo is an accomplishment in a different universe to beating Forrest, and I think the manner of victory is also an edge to Conor given how surreal it was, and how concise the finish was.

Silva definitely has his holes as a fighter but when the matchup was good and he was on no one looked as spectacular.
You´re right. Best highlights in the entire game. And as you said, the guy had holes in his game, which made his fights and victories even more spectacular.
anderson-silva-triangle-submit-chael-sonnen.gif

It's not been 9 years since Conor starched Aldo or Mollywoped Alvarez...

Back