News Zhang Weili Wants To Fight Alexa Grasso For Flyweight Belt At UFC 300, Alexa Is Willing

Who would win at 125 lbs?

• Alexa

Votes: 27 39.1%
  • Weili

Votes: 42 60.9%

• Total voters
I'd rather see Blanchfield or Fiorot get their deserved title shots but UFC probably makes more money with this fight
They're already scheduled to fight each other and don't seem too upset about losing an opportunity to fight for the title this time around. I haven't heard boo from Valentina on the topic, but I can't imagine she'd be too happy about it.

Last edited:
At first I was a bit apprehensive to the thought - both have stuff to do with people from their own divisons, but as Blanchfield/Fiorot is happening, and it seems like UFC is trying to shelf Zhang's next 115 defence until they can do Yan/Zhang in china or something (what else could explain the relative inactivity of healthy Weili, the "ok, here's a fight" defence vs. Lemos and now the 125lbs aspirations) - this is prretty amazing fight. So, yes, why not.

The more I think about it, just as a fight in a vacuum, the more stoked I get about the prospect.

Hope it happens, then regular schedule can return.
Nah. Grasso/Shevchenko needs to happen and then the winner faces Blanchfield/Fiorot winner. Zhang/Yan needs to happen and then winner faces Suarez. Neither fighter is a dominant champ, there's too much that needs to happen.

Idk why the poll is so strongly favoring Weili, I'd be betting on Grasso all the way with the very competitive fights she's put on with Shevchenko showing her well-rounded skills
Altho a Weili fan, if the odds here are representative of the betting odds, I would be betting on Alexa too.

Nah. Grasso/Shevchenko needs to happen and then the winner faces Blanchfield/Fiorot winner. Zhang/Yan needs to happen and then winner faces Suarez. Neither fighter is a dominant champ, there's too much that needs to happen.
Yeah, it's circus, but so would be Grasso/Schevchenko a third time after Grasso defeating Val once and one draw. I would even say having this fight has much more merit than a third Shevchencko one in a row - the proper one to book would be Blanchfield or Fiorot for Grasso, but we ain't getting that, so this works too.

And as said, the likely reason to book this is to tread water until Zhang/Yan can happen in China - so to pass time with an awesome fight is acceptable. Pretending this is a sport is cool when we get bad fights, but Zhang/Grasso will entertain me, so I am not gonna complain about it.

Back