• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social You're in your 30s, do you have a house or a familly ?

They'll be fucked when they hit 60 still paying rent. You gotta have your mortgage paid off before you turn 55, and have been contributing to your 401k for the last 35 years.

People have no idea how much it sucks to be broke when you're old.

You gotta have it rough when you're young with less health issues, so you can have it easier when you're old with multiple severe health conditions.

IDK things are trending the other direction. Saving, investing, being responsible seems to be getting punished while being a lay about irresponsible is being rewarded. If this leftist movement continues 20 years from now government might just seize everyone's 401k and pension and put it in the general fund in the name of equity

The people who think they're awesome for being middle aged with no kids are more than likely going to live a pretty sad existence in their elderly years.

People don't realize how long you stay an old ass man for. At some point you stop living for yourself and start living to help others or vicariously through family members.
One of my uncles is about to be 60 and has no kids and he seems to be full of life. Then again, dude's got an awesome apartment, an R nine T and has travelled like 90 countries

36, no kids. Around 30 I was looking to start a family but kept pushing it back for career reasons. Now? I'm not too sure if I should pursue it

I turned 40 last year

In my 30s I was married , on my second house and would have had kids if the wife could have them.

It often times seems to me like a lot of the younger members of my generation have no interests in growing up and want to live like they are 21 forever. I don't really get it it seems short sighted to me and like it's bad for society as a whole. I guess maybe I have a little of that old school mentality and I think if you haven't sort of got life figured out by your 30s you are likely a loser or a degenerate . Maybe I'm wrong and the world changed but my views didn't. I don't know.

My generation Gen X. Like most others I had a house, career, an a family by late 20s . Things seem to be going different these days

Got my kids in my late 30s. Bought my house in my early 40s

I turned 40 last year

In my 30s I was married , on my second house and would have had kids if the wife could have them.

It often times seems to me like a lot of the younger members of my generation have no interests in growing up and want to live like they are 21 forever. I don't really get it it seems short sighted to me and like it's bad for society as a whole. I guess maybe I have a little of that old school mentality and I think if you haven't sort of got life figured out by your 30s you are likely a loser or a degenerate . Maybe I'm wrong and the world changed but my views didn't. I don't know.
Nah, I have a lot of friends like that and I’m almost the same age as you. I did have one recently stop that. He decided after a serious event in his life that growing up needs to happen. Mainly one of our close friends had another overdose while living with him, and he had enough. Both are late 30s and the other friend still acts and lives like he did when he was 23. Same everything. Still blames the government and world for all his problems, when it became clear that he is his own worst enemy. Still tries to get girls in their 20s with his band and he has a receding hairline and can barely afford an apartment. So at least my other friend saw what it would look like if he kept on trying to be 23 when he was 40. But I do know plenty of others, same people they were 15 years ago.

I own a house and have a kid but no wife.

People who say they don't want kids don't know what they are missing out on, and those that do want kids but don't have them yet, I wish you the best because it's so worth it.

Let's get it straight, having a family and a house in your 30s is not the dream anymore, used to be in the 50s to mid 2000s, things have changed, millenial wish more of travelling, focusing on their career have experiencing things in life.
It s more nuanced.
I don't envy the 31yo guy with a family and house.
I don't envy the 39yo guy without a family and house.
I feel like the 30s are the biggest transitional years in the sense that you go from being young and careless to established with responsibilities.

Having a house and family in your 20s is not typical of developed economies, even if prevalent in the USA. But USA are a complex country of contradictions with a bunch of high earnings parents in their mid 20s and a bunch of divorced 50 yo on a mid life crisis who think that they are 30 again.

It s more nuanced.
I don't envy the 31yo guy with a family and house.
I don't envy the 39yo guy without a family and house.
I feel like the 30s are the biggest transitional years in the sense that you go from being young and careless to established with responsibilities.

Having a house and family in your 20s is not typical of developed economies, even if prevalent in the USA. But USA are a complex country of contradictions with a bunch of high earnings parents in their mid 20s and a bunch of divorced 50 yo on a mid life crisis who think that they are 30 again.
very good point of view sherdogger, sadly your a quebecer.

It varies a lot around the world, but in many (if not most) circunstances it's more financially efficient to pay rent and invest the money than buying a house and pay mortgage.

Not quite true. Buying a property has a low return compared to other types of investments. But those other investments that will yield a higher return will be negated by the fact that you are paying rent. To overcome that you need to upscale, but you need the money in the first place to invest like that.

Currently 35. I own a nice house in a good part of inner city Calgary and previously owned a townhouse in Port Moody, BC just outside of Vancouver. Sold the townhouse at a good time and made ~35% (around 220k) on it in 18 months as real estate in Vancouver was out of fucking control.

Good, steady, well paying job for the last 13 years or so between Calgary and Vancouver. Getting married in May and will start looking at kids shortly after as the fiancé is early 30s wants to have them soon. If you'd have asked me 10 years ago marriage and children were not in my life plans, but here we are.

I have a house, no family. Wanted one for years but glad I didn't now.

Back