Your most OVERRATED game

Jet Set Radio

Never has a game been so undeserving of cult classic status.

confused-no.gif

I barely remember this game and didn't know it was considered a "cult classic". I thought it was just the free game that came with a PS1.

View attachment 923697

I barely remember this game and didn't know it was considered a "cult classic". I thought it was just the free game that came with a PS1.
Consider yourself informed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_Set_Radio#Critical_reception
Jet Set Radio received acclaim and is considered one of the best video games ever made for its graphics, soundtrack, and gameplay. It won several awards and was nominated for many others. A Game Boy Advance version, developed by Vicarious Visions, was released in 2003, along with versions for Japanese mobile phones. In 2012, Jet Set Radio was digitally re-released for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and iOS, followed by releases for Windows, PlayStation Vita and Android. A sequel, Jet Set Radio Future, was released for the Xbox in 2002.

Reception[edit]
GameRankings SDC: 92%[51]
Metacritic SDC: 94/100[53]

Publication Award
Game Critics Awards Best Console Game
Game Developers Choice Awards Excellence in Visual Arts, Game Spotlights Award
GameSpot Best Graphics, Artistic
Gamers' Republic Best 3D Game Design

Critical reception[edit]
Jet Set Radio received acclaim for its gameplay, visual style, and music. Gamers' Republic called it flawless.[69] IGN praised the extra gameplay modes, saying they added replay value.[63] Official Dreamcast Magazine (ODCM) found the exaggerated physics and interactivity of the levels immersive.[27] DC-UK described the gameplay as a combination of Crazy Taxi and Tony Hawk, and concluded that the gameplay was better than both.[4] GameSpot praised the pacing, stating that the beginning of the game is simple and slowly becomes more challenging as the player progresses.[61] GameFan was not impressed with the early stages but their opinion changed as they progressed the game and were happy with the result.[68] Next Generation found the story modifications of the English versions jarring, although, he complimented the new stages, calling them "impressive" and "a worthy addition to Japanese cityscapes of the original".[64] The camera controls were commonly criticized, but most reviewers felt the overall quality outweighed them.[63][68][61][4]

In regards to the visual style, IGN said it "looks like a moving cartoon, and every character, right down to the police dogs, is practically overflowing with personality ... It has the type of look that makes non-gamers can't help but be impressed".[63] ODCM called it "gorgeous" and compared it to the move to color television.[27] DC-UK also praised it for resembling 2D cartoon and 3D at the same, and considered it ground-breaking.[4] GamePro wrote that the visuals were one of a kind and that the stylized design was convincing and fun to look at.[70]

When reviewing the music, GamePro called Jet Set Radio one of the best-sounding games of the year,[70] and ODCM said it had "one of the best soundtracks ever".[27] IGN also praised the soundtrack, but was critical of the tracks added to the North American release, in particular songs from Rob Zombie.[63] Next Generation, however, didn't consider the new tracks to make a difference, stating the soundtrack was incredible from the start.[64] GameSpot felt the soundtrack fit perfectly into the game's environment.[61]

When reviewing the HD remaster, the game received mixed reactions from critics. GamesRadar+ praised how it is a joy to play even after 12 years since its release. Eurogamer also gave positive statements, calling the visual style "timeless", and complimented the HD remaster, stating "12 years on and this is a surprisingly rigorous game built of oddball delights, then, and the HD updating has only enhanced its charms. The skating's still great, the city's still a joy to explore, and the soundtrack's still one of the very best ever put together".[58] Game Informer was more critical, opining that the gameplay was archaic and frustrating. Game Informer further elaborated that in retrospect, the original release visual style blinded them from its faulty gameplay.[60] Both TouchArcade and Pocket Gamer criticized smartphone versions for the touchscreen controls and unable to keep up with the tasks the game requires.[67][66]

Across all versions of the game, including the original and re-releases sales of Jet Set Radio surpassed 1 million copies worldwide.[71][72][73]

Sega is giving it a big budget reboot, reportedly.
https://www.polygon.com/23031894/sega-crazy-taxi-jet-set-radio-reboots-super-game

GTA4. The driving was so damn broken, made me want to throw a controller. Felt like you're driving on ice. Thought Vice City and San Andreas were both much more engrossing.
I've played and beaten over 300 games and GTA 4 is for sure towards the top of my list for most over-rated. It's one of the few criticially acclaimed games that I had to force myself to finish.

Controls were shit. PC port was half assed. Story was the definition of cringe ("I came to USA to get away from violence but it's all I know, i got to go back to killing"). The new features like friendships and cell phones were not only all crap but very forced (basically gimmick in a nutshell). Ending I don't remember being all that great. Graphics were good but the city felt very boring/empty.

It's one of the absolute worst critically acclaimed games to reflect back on (besides graphics for the time there's not much that was actually memorable).

They tried too hard to make it a serious game, ended up being more of a joke than anything (hard to be serious when you have joke controls, joke story, characters that are not only weak development wise but not memorable, boring surroundings, medicore missions)

Last edited:
Chrono Trigger
Jh3I2.gif

I've played and beaten over 300 games and GTA 4 is for sure towards the top of my list for most over-rated. It's one of the few criticially acclaimed games that I had to force myself to finish.

Controls were shit. PC port was half assed. Story was the definition of cringe ("I came to USA to get away from violence but it's all I know, i got to go back to killing"). The new features like friendships and cell phones were not only all crap but very forced (basically gimmick in a nutshell). Ending I don't remember being all that great. Graphics were good but the city felt very boring/empty.

It's one of the absolute worst critically acclaimed games to reflect back on (besides graphics for the time there's not much that was actually memorable).

They tried too hard to make it a serious game, ended up being more of a joke than anything (hard to be serious when you have joke controls, joke story, characters that are not only weak development wise but not memorable, boring surroundings, medicore missions)
I always hated GTA's shooting/Melee controls,but I love everything else about the game (other than the hanging out parts) I love in NYC,and this game is LIFE on a dvd

Anyone mention deathloop yet? The worst $60 I ever spent in my life. Couldn’t get past the 60% mark the game is so redundant
Lol my coworker was trying to tell me how great this game is and even with him trying to sell it to me it sounded horrible lmao.

Not really, it has plenty of haters. Those who suck at it and blame the game
You appear to be having difficulty following the conceit of the thread.

Most Halo games.

This. I had a PS2 instead of an Xbox so I never played them until they came out on 360. Very underwhelming. Enemies are lame and non-threatening. It's a good shooter but it doesn't set itself apart from the pack and I don't known why it got so popular.

Keep in mind I'm only talking about the campaign. The multi-player with shields and jetpacks is awesome.

A lot of Nintendo and Japanses games come with a built in fanbase that defend them vehemently and canonize them as revolutionary for almost no reason, even when those games are doing basic things seen before many, many times years earlier.
Even when these games lack a lot in comparison to modern contemporaries it's overlooked as Nintendo 'charm'. Breath of The Wild, most non main series Mario games(which have been basically pulling an EA and rebranding the same game over and over for more than 2 decades see kart for example) and muc of Hideo Kojima's games are just super overrated, especially his terrible story telling.

If I had to name just 1? I will go a bit left field and kind of ignore my stance above and say the Life is Strange series. The writing and characters just aren't really good to be honest and that's the major driving force of that game. It doesn't have challenging or engaging gameplay to fall back on so the story and characters are the driving force and they just don't really live up to the reputation that game had when it launched.

Was it the same with San Andreas? I feel like I'm remembering doing the upstate California drive for some mission and running into the same issue where I had to redo that long ass drive when failing.

Every GTA prior to 5 made you restart missions from your safehouse.

Witcher 3
- movement felt clunky
- combat was unsatisfying
- why did I die from falling off a ledge that was maybe 8ft. off the ground
- seemed like there was a lot of lore and potential but just never hooked me

This. I had a PS2 instead of an Xbox so I never played them until they came out on 360. Very underwhelming. Enemies are lame and non-threatening. It's a good shooter but it doesn't set itself apart from the pack and I don't known why it got so popular.

Keep in mind I'm only talking about the campaign. The multi-player with shields and jetpacks is awesome.

In general, it revolutionized console FPS games. Multiplayer is a big reason for that, but even things like the control scheme for game pads owe a lot to Halo. It was like the second coming of "Golden Eye" for consoles.

In general, it revolutionized console FPS games. Multiplayer is a big reason for that, but even things like the control scheme for game pads owe a lot to Halo. It was like the second coming of "Golden Eye" for consoles.

Red Faction should have been the FPS to blow up

i guess, but i think timesplitters was better/more fun/had more versatility/had bots. also, made by those who made goldeneye/pd. and ironically, one of the most underrated series...

i honestly never understood the huge amount of hype that halo had. fwiw, i thought halo was ok.

Red Faction should have been the FPS to blow up

if only the multiplayer didn't suck. rf was a great campaign/concept, though.

There are games that I didn't get on with, that others loved.

Witcher 3, got to the Griffin and stopped, though I think that, as I had only played half way through Witcher 1 and wanted to do a full play through of 1 and 2 first, starting on the third game in the trilogy just bothered me.

Red Dead Redemption. I get why people loved it, but I think that my endless hours of playing the previous GTAs led to be rather bored of it. I also dabbled briefly in RDR2s multiplayer, but I was deep into other games at the time.

I have a rather strange relationship with Cyberpunk 2077. I respect what it tried to do, but the lack of polish hurt it, the gunplay wasn't great and there was little variety in it. I played it a lot more than Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, however, which is a far superior game.

So I'd have to say Hollow Knight.

Back