• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Your best blind buy?

Most fun playing a game buying blind...probably Lords of the Realm II or AoE. That lead me down to all of the TW games before they went cray with all the War Hammer stuff.

o27orljxtw6yjrh1l6f7.webp

Saw this at Circuit City for like $10 clearance. I didn't know anyone even made a kickboxing game at the time. Got home and couldn't stop playing. Took it to my buddy's house, and we played it the whole weekend. Thinking about it, I'd play it right now if I still had my PS2 and games. So much fun.
Might need to check this out.

Some of the old UFC games like takedown are fun in short bursts

Which one? 2006 or 2017?
2017, and interestingly enough it was because of the 2006 game that I nearly didn't play it.

Arkane wanted to call it Typhon. But, as is the usual case, upper management and those in communication with shareholders wanted to call it something really stupid. Like Prey. Which made everyone think the game was a sequel, prequel or otherwise connected to the 2006 game.

And it was nothing of the sort. If it had been called Typhon or PsychoShock like they wanted to, it would have sold tons and Arkane probably wouldn't have spiraled into the DeathLoop/Redfall pit of doom.

Prey is the best version of Immersive Sim gameplay, even better than SS2. The story isn't quite as compelling as that of Hacker/Shodan but it's still tons of fun, and the level design is some of the best in all of gaming.

I never would have played it if it weren't for Digital Foundry. They simply said "If you liked SS2 you should really pick this up." And I said "What. The hell."

I'll just say if you have not played it, please, please pick it up.

prey-HP.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I didn't expect the masterpiece I got at all when I randomly wandered into that game.
They could have made an entire game around the GlooCannon alone, but that wasn't enough. They had to pack in the scope, all its chipsets, the suit chipsets and all the neuromod trees. I was blown away so many times in that game, and perhaps the biggest moment of surprise was ten minutes in.

And when you get into the guts and see the more modern architecture and see how it started in current times and they just built and continued to advance through the years. I think that may be the most bang I ever got for my buck

2017, and interestingly enough it was because of the 2006 game that I nearly didn't play it.

Arkane wanted to call it Typhon. But, as is the usual case, upper management and those in communication with shareholders wanted to call it something really stupid. Like Prey. Which made everyone think the game was a sequel, prequel or otherwise connected to the 2006 game.

And it was nothing of the sort. If it had been called Typhon or PsychoShock like they wanted to, it would have sold tons and Arkane probably wouldn't have spiraled into the DeathLoop/Redfall pit of doom.

Prey is the best version of Immersive Sim gameplay, even better than SS2. The story isn't quite as compelling as that of Hacker/Shodan but it's still tons of fun, and the level design is some of the best in all of gaming.

I never would have played it if it weren't for Digital Foundry. They simply said "If you liked SS2 you should really pick this up." And I said "What. The hell."

I'll just say if you have not played it, please, please pick it up.

prey-HP.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
amazing game.
fuck it, i'm going to start a replay.

on topic - max payne. installed it and didnt move from my computer for 10 hours straight.

amazing game.
fuck it, i'm going to start a replay.

on topic - max payne. installed it and didnt move from my computer for 10 hours straight.
Did you try Ctrl Alt Ego? You may want to give it a shot- it amazed me in similar, unexpected fashion

interesting, didn't play that one. gives me Portal vibes.
In terms of story and atmosphere it is. But the gameplay is absolutely like SS2/Prey. It's an odd blend but after I "got it", I didn't stop until I finished. They recently added a NG+ mode which includes all sorts of surprises too

They could have made an entire game around the GlooCannon alone, but that wasn't enough. They had to pack in the scope, all its chipsets, the suit chipsets and all the neuromod trees. I was blown away so many times in that game, and perhaps the biggest moment of surprise was ten minutes in.

And when you get into the guts and see the more modern architecture and see how it started in current times and they just built and continued to advance through the years. I think that may be the most bang I ever got for my buck
That's what I'm talking about. I realized this wasn't a by-the-numbers AAA moneygrab. I realized I'd better buckle up because I was in for a mindfuck.

max payne. installed it and didnt move from my computer for 10 hours straight.
Mine as well. I started it up one day when my cousin left for work and I was staying the night at his house. Beat it just as he got home from work.

I bought tons of shit when I was younger because it looked cool.

A recent one was Stellar Blade. Saw almost no gameplay or played the demo it but what I read sounded intriguing (Digital Foundry described it as feeling like a PS2 game in all the good ways) so I took a shot on it for launch and it became one of my favorite new titles.

OG God of War on ps2, I just thought it looked cool and was blown away when I played it at home.

Red Faction. It was the first shooter I played for that console generation. I wasn't allowed to own a console until I was 18 so when I brought a PS2 I picked it up for cheap at GameStop.

Not exactly a blind buy because I'd heard of it but I got Skies of Arcadia for $20 new when Best Buy was getting rid of DC games soon after Sega killed it. I figured it was a good game from reading reviews but it really caught me off guard with how good it really was. I think it's still a top 5 all-time JRPG.

In the late 1990's, I was gifted the Fallout 1 & 2 bundle as a Christmas present. The gifter did not even have a computer and had no idea what it was. It was just a game on the shelf that looked interesting.

Most of my 90's and early 2000's computer games were blind buys that someone else bought me. Half-Life, Mechwarrior 2, Medal of Honor, Deus Ex, Return To Castle Wolfenstein, Diablo, Far Cry, Jagged Alliance 2, Red Alert, Warcraft, Rome, Oblivion, Unreal Tournament, Doom II, Call of Duty.

I didn't know anything about these games, but they had colorful and compelling art on their boxes. Or something or a rather.

Nintendo Power offered Dragon Warrior for free with a subscription. Free game? Sign me up. First introduction to RPG gaming. Fell in love with the game and that led to Final Fantasy series.

Not a blind buy but a blind rent. Walked past the gaming section and noticed a new game called Resident Evil. This was surprising because I bought EGM on the regular and didn't even hear of this game. Might have missed the preview but i looked at the box - made by Capcom... looks like a horror game... hmmmm. fuck it let's rent it and check it out. After a few hours I was hooked. It was too good. I re-rented it to beat it (with Chris I think) and then eventually bought it to completely beat it.

Back