You think boxing skills alone is good enough for the street?

babyjay

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I'm not too much into the mma. I love watching it and im pretty current, but i just prefer boxing in all its aspects. Do you believe amatuer boxing skills alone is enough for the streets? Just a few questions here:

- how would you "box" someone who is a hockey fighter? A shirt grabber?

- do you think mimicing zab judah and manny pacquiao is beneficial?

- say that both guys' shirts are off and kept it standing, how would you place your hands to block a punch? I mean theres no gloves to absorb punches, so do you absorb it with your hands? Seems they can sneak in more punches barenuckle.

- jabbing on the street beneficial?

- whats the best punch combination on the street? Or most effective?

If I was gonna guess, I would say not to worry about shirt grabbers, he can't grab your shirt without leaving himself open.

on blocking, keep in mind that if its on the street, its dirty. So protect your jaw and your nuts. Most guys who are just looking to pummel in an alley will just go for the head or something foul.

jabbing is always benificial, but in this type of thing, only after you've convinced him not to bum rush you (which will almost always happen). In which case, know how to clinch and what to do in a clinch.

combo's - be just as dirty. a kick to the inside of the knee is always fun, otherwise, clinch him, put him against a wall, and tee off.

-AKM

If it's self defense, and even more so if the other guy is fighting dirty, pull a Liddell and jab him in the eye with your thumb.

It really depends on the person you are fighting on the street.

I come from a Boxing, Kickboxing, Wrestling, Greco Roman Wrestling and just starte Kenpo, so I am pretty well rounded, and EVEN THEN there are ALWAYS suprises on the street.

Granted since i've been training I have only been in 2 street fights, both which I won, and the second was just a 1 hitter,

As for being a boxer, you really gotta look for the takedown (most fights end up in wrestling matches, and if you don't know what to do while on your back, you can be in trouble), and watch out for kicks, esp inside kicks, and clinched knees.

Jabbing anywhere is beneficial, you learn your distance and it's a setup punch..

A trained and skilled boxer will hand you your ass gift-wrapped in a street fight just as well as a kickboxer/"martial artist" and twice as fast as a grappler.

Your only concern is being sure to apply your training on the street in a way that makes sense on the street and not the ring, and play up up your strengths while avoiding a situation that you're not well-suited for (such as flat on your back with some guy sitting on your chest). Which is to say: same as any other style; if you grapple, don't try going toe-to-toe and trading bombs, and if you're a striker, don't start rolling around on the ground.

Hockey style fighters, two ways I would deal with it. As long as you dont wear tight shirts just slip out the back. Saw it happen once thought it was awesome, kid then ran off. Other way would be to clinch and do a basic step behind one of their legs and continue to drive in to them taking it to the ground and you should fall on to the mount against someone who knows nothing and then base low, throwing short elbows. If you just tee off on someone you can get charged with assualt, even if they started it. So if you lay on them and hit them with short shorts you can say you were trying to subdue them.

As for best way to absorb punches, look up Rodney King's Crazy Monkey. It is a rather interesting boxing style which you stay shelled up and so all the power gets absorbed in to the shoulder when you get hit. And with the shell its hard for even a hand to slip through.

"The manly art of self defense." - boxing.

It is manly because you can't practice it unless you got some balls!

It really irritates me when people say that boxers don't have self defense skills. You gotta be kidding me!! The fact is that most "self defense" students don't have self defense skills because they never practice fighting in a real fight type situation which is what boxing is! Boxers train to fight. Boxing is a fight. No it is not a street fight but it is an all out fight.

Even when I only had very minimal boxing skills I was able to defend myself with boxing in street fights. Yes, I have won street fights with a jab! No, I was not fighting Fedor or Tyson or Mark Kerr or a Gracie, but I was defending myself in a real life situation against a person trying to hurt me.

I have had my shirt pulled over my head in a street fight. This was after I hit him with several punches. I tried to take the guy down with a double leg but there was a wall in the way and then the fight was broken up.

Boxing is not the end-all and be-all of self defense or street fighting but it is the most effective and simple way of defending with punches and basic footwork! I know this cuz I have used it and have experience with martial arts.

Anyone who is a good boxer and has accomplished things in boxing then I will respect any negative things you say about boxing. But this would be a rare thing. To the rest of you idiots.... if you are so tough then go do some boxing!!!!!

A nice quick stiff jab to the chin will usually open a guys hands up. Unload.

One thing to worry about if you are taking someone down in a street fight is that street fights usually take place on pavement. It's probably not worth the risk of accidentally killing someone as he cracks his head open on the ground.

I agree with earlier poster about shirt pulling: if you are a boxer, don't let him get there. Just like in a fight, if he is trying to shoot (or get close enough to grab clothing in this case) he is probably going to bull rush with his head down. Come right in with that nasty uppercut, and that is the end of that.

I personally believe that muay thai (specifically knees and elbows from the clinch) is more effective for self defense, simply because people have no idea what to do when you clamp down on their head. Also, with knees and elbows, you don't break your hands.

jabbing will nullify someone who is a shirt grabber, when u hit them w/that stick coming in u will dissuade most guys from coming back in; the reason they shirt grab is to keep from getting hit and to be able to cleanly hit you. If u jab..stiff hard..he will second guess and then become a target for the follow up shots.

also boxing has clinch and inside work and someone trained will eat the average guy up on the inside w/uppercuts/hooks/crosses

u should always jab if u can..it keeps the guy off you which stunts his off, and bolsters your own as well as supp ur def.

best combo..the basic 1/2

i have and will continue to parry/block shots w/my hands...it's riskier; but can still be done..

fighting a trained boxer is DANGEROUS, facing anyone who is highly skilled in any disciline is tough..but esp so w/a striker who can't give u the option of tapping an can only beat u into submision or knock you out.

a competent boxer will hand you ur ass and an exp amateur or low level pro might kill you; i have sparred a few and had a few run ins w/others...

YOU DON'T WANT IT W/THEM AT ALL...

If you're even thinking about fighting on the street be prepared for the consequences. Meaning:

1) You could knock him out, he hits his head on the cement and you get a lawyer.

2)He and his buddies get the better of you and knock your teeth in.

3)He pulls a knife on you.

I'm not a police officer, but I work in Police Station, and whenever we bring someone in 9 times out of 10 they're packing a knife or gun. These guys are the homeless, the wannabe and real gang bangers, drug addicts, and drunks who you think you would be able to take if they started shit with you. Keep in mind, they are all packing something. I'm guessing if someone was gonna start shit with you, it would probably be one of these guys, and your best bet is to hit fast and hard and accept the consequences or stay clear of trouble and use what you know only if you have to. Keep it in the ring as much as you can. Just my 2 cents.

**edit***

Just wanted to aplogize to the thread starter, sorry for not sticking to topic about boxing in the street.

in the street all i've used is boxing, a sprawl, and basic brute strength sweeps

but i try to avoid fighting in the street most of the time. i've had a gun pulled on me

im just a amateur boxer and i do pretty good in street fights, however i try to avoid it if possible. i been in quite a few fights, and from what ive learned is just to swing like crazy will leave you standing in the end. and i wouldnt worry about the shirt grabbers or the guys who try 2 wrestle me. if he was able 2 get close enough to get a good grip, then you probably got alot of training to do. but if he really did get in that close and im still standing, ill give him a nice body shot, n he'll learn not to start shit 4 a long time.
but if you guys are squared off, and no one threw the first punch yet, then ill throw a nice quick jab since you get the most reach that way, and basically any punch that lands can knock you down in a street fight, and ill just kick the guy from there.
to me, the most beneficial is just the 1-2-1-2-1-2 etc until i know him on his ass.
i really wouldnt try to block a punch in a street fight since its just not likely that you get a perfect block.

boxing works on 95 % of the streetthugs out there.

A streetfights usually starts and ends with a punch.

take a knife and jab him with it. if you don't have one, go for power shots. but this is just for boxing. if you know how to clinch or kick, get in the clinch and knee him in the balls. or if you have some basic jkd, you can use your strongest weapon, the side kick, against his nearest target, his kneecap. fucker won't know what hit him.

I see a lot of people saying throw the jab and that is always a option but against someone that is a hockey fighter they will basically be throwing there power hand 75% of time that is there right, so don't get caught throwing ur jab out there to much cause u will be open for a str8 right or a right hook, against these guys I always if I have time take off my shirt and cirle away from the power hand when they reach with there left to grab u step back and as they come in land a brutal right hook or str8 right over there extended hand, I find most people that fight this way stick out there jab and walk with there face down trying to grab u, step back and take advantage of the opening, yes the jab will work but most people are not open for the jab as much as the right.

Nog_Horn said:
I see a lot of people saying throw the jab and that is always a option but against someone that is a hockey fighter they will basically be throwing there power hand 75% of time that is there right, so don't get caught throwing ur jab out there to much cause u will be open for a str8 right or a right hook, against these guys I always if I have time take off my shirt and cirle away from the power hand when they reach with there left to grab u step back and as they come in land a brutal right hook or str8 right over there extended hand, I find most people that fight this way stick out there jab and walk with there face down trying to grab u, step back and take advantage of the opening, yes the jab will work but most people are not open for the jab as much as the right.
If you jab at at someones nose in a streetfight against a guy throwing a haymaker your punch will reach him first.

godking said:
If you jab at at someones nose in a streetfight against a guy throwing a haymaker your punch will reach him first.

This is why I think counterpunching with straights and crosses are more effective in street fights instead of just windmilling your arms at the person.

Back