You think boxing skills alone is good enough for the street?

Throw a rock! Kick in the balls. False crack. anything dirty- there are no rules on the street.
Just dont end up in jail

ChrisDracula said:
This guy should realize that alot of street fights end in a weapon being drawn.....unless you are primarly afraid of being beat up in the suburbs. once monkeys learned to use rocks and sticks to fight other monkeys they didnt think about less effective ways to hurt the other monkeys.. why should you? Knife>MMA or better buy a handgun 15 mins + 200$ better than countless hours than learning somthing you never need to use that often, I mean serously do you go around looking for a fight? Most ppl dont get into a street fight everyday, or enough to really use any martial art. Unless you just wanna feel like a badass in wich case I would say buy a gun

I said learn how to defend yourself during all parts of a fight. That would include weapons. Read my post?

seriously...

once you tuck your chin and warm with with some loose combos, 95% of guys will back down in my experience and i'm 5'5" 165 lbs.

the other 4% wont last very long.

most people think they can hit hard then they really can, and also think they can take more damage then they really can.

the last 1% will give you a good run for your money. cuz if they fight alot, have older brother (yes im serious), or trained for a short period, they'll jsut cover up and rush you. once they get their hands on you and get a grip. ask your self how confident do you feel?

unless your 100% sure you can still paste him, consider a extra style or additional training to help out your boxing.

I wasn't going to answer this thread because it doesn't really have much to do with boxing but I'm bored.:D

babyjay said:
I'm not too much into the mma. I love watching it and im pretty current, but i just prefer boxing in all its aspects. Do you believe amatuer boxing skills alone is enough for the streets?

I think any martial art can be used effectively in the street. It's all about HOW you train and your mentality in the street. Even people with little to no skill could be a good street fighter..with the right mentality.

babyjay said:
- say that both guys' shirts are off and kept it standing, how would you place your hands to block a punch? I mean theres no gloves to absorb punches, so do you absorb it with your hands? Seems they can sneak in more punches barenuckle.

If you watch MMA, you should know that there's a difference between boxing with and without gloves.

babyjay said:
jabbing on the street beneficial?

I guess, in the right situation.

babyjay said:
whats the best punch combination on the street? Or most effective?

On the street; I guess it could be personal preference for someone who isn't trained. Or even for someone who is. The most basic boxing combo is a 1-2.

Hey guys just joined the forum but I have been coming here for a long time now. I will add on that learning mma is one of the best ways to street fight. I've been training in martial arts on and off for years since the age of 7 and I just turned 25. My main weapons I found work are are mma.

This last saturday I was hade a alot to drink at a local bar I used to frequent. I could say I had about 8 beers over the course of the whole night. Anyway to make a long story short after walking back from the bar figuring I would get some excercise in, I stopped at the local donut shop to pick up a after drinking snap. Coming from the shop this guy in this truck starts yelling racial slurs at me. I'm buzzed and in no mood so I flip him the finger and keep on truckin.

Next thing this I know this asshole is right behind me revin up for an overhand right(which I have found that most people who have anger issues come with this punch first in a fight). So I back step toss my donut at him at try to take of my jacket while dodging his punch. Two wild swings later this guy had closed the distance between us. I barely got off a upper cut which I was going to go into a jab, cross, jab and then try to take him down to pound him and maybe try to break his arm so he doesnt want to fight anymore. Normaly I would have kicked his legs out from under him with a shin stop or and inside leg punch. But since its the street and I live by the beach there is sand all over the curb.

So right then and there I was short a couple of good weapons. Well anyway after hitting him with a cross and he at the same time hit me with a wild swing to the top of my head, we fell backwards and I was on my back. He starts tryin to pound on me but I grab him in the guard. he got the side of my head a couple of good times but for the most part was just swing no real damage. When I got him in the guard he says "Oh M'Fer you dont know sh!t" Well I grabbed his head and pulled him in now that he had been flailing aimlessly. I heard him breath out his mouth and sound like a tired doggie. It was easy to change positions and get the top now, so I flip him over and started pounding on him.

I getting my shots when he reaches up and tries to poke my eye out with his girly nails. He ended up cutting my cheek. I pound him somemore and this guy says in a whimper I will never forget..."Stop man...the cops". I say play until the ref blows the whistle, I hit him somemore when I here footsteps to the left. I'm thinkin cops, no reinforcements. This cocksucker had a buddy, who was probly in the store getting beer.

He's a fatter guy and I do not want to work the guard with him so I start to move to my feet. He rushes me with a kick to my face, I block it as I move to my feet. I jab him to the face and try to move in a circle to put them both in a strait line. I move back into the middle of the street (because there is better traction and not as much sand, and hopefully I can push one of them into a car). I carry a chain wallet the detaches really easy so in instances like this I can whip either of them, cause no one wants to get hit in the face with a chain.

Well there was another coward with thim and he picked up my jacket and ran to their car. The extra friend who tried to kick me in the face had helped up the original asshole. I'm standing on the median watching as the buggers run off with my stuff to their cars.

Well I hope I wasnt babling about nothing and I hope my first post came off somewhat intelligent. My tips for a street fight, carry a chain wallet that you can whip- it back of a couple of folks in the crowd but be warry of losing it, cause then they have a chain to hit you with.

Jabs if you have power and can duck their wild punches work on the streets. They make him wonder why his wonder punch didnt hit and why he's back peddling.

If the guys is thicker that yourself I advise against body blow not unless you can get a good one in the kidney. Bigger guys I advise eye poking or try to break one of his fingers in the clinch. Body blows on the street are awesome for setting up a good punch to the head. Because his reflexes are trying to block everything he see's so if you can hit him in the ribs, he'll try to block it. When this happens go back to his head, and try to end it quickly.

Which leads me to my next point which was my mistake, dont forget cowards travel in packs. It's the only way they can eat. Finish quickly, I should have went for an arm-bar and popped this guys arm and got to my feet. had I had done that I would have been able to see that he had buddies.

Well anyway thats my story and I'm stinkin to it, lookin forward to enjoying this forum and just for i want to see Quinton vs Lidell 2, but it will never happen, and I'll save that for another post.

cheers.

sorry bout the long post but I just thought I'd share.

Hey Shft E do you feel that you won that fight? I sure hope so with all of your martial art experience you have, I dont want to feel like mine has gone to waste. Or did he have a good amount of weight/strength on you???

hey shft_e you get the plate on the cars?

to add insult to injury you should have got the cops and took them to court for it after and sued the pants off them ALONG with whooping their ass.

Jab, cross... when hes on the ground boot him a little, in the knees to make sure he dont get up... then leave promptly. Or grab, bully him against the wall, keep your chin tucked... and throw elbows to the head, against a hard surface one should KTFO him.

I've absorbed punches on my forearm and shoulder to find the next day that they were blue and knotted, the same with my forehead. But my face is fine and I usually jab and throw short swift front kicks until I can clinc and then I slam them. I rarely g for the double leg but I have. I usually get double underhooks and slam them. But boxing has helped me sufficiently in street fights that I never wanted to get into. If I didn't have a fundamental knowledge of how to jab and block, weave, etc. I would have had a pretty fucked up face by now. LOL.

ChrisDracula said:
This guy should realize that alot of street fights end in a weapon being drawn.....unless you are primarly afraid of being beat up in the suburbs. once monkeys learned to use rocks and sticks to fight other monkeys they didnt think about less effective ways to hurt the other monkeys.. why should you? Knife>MMA or better buy a handgun 15 mins + 200$ better than countless hours than learning somthing you never need to use that often, I mean serously do you go around looking for a fight? Most ppl dont get into a street fight everyday, or enough to really use any martial art. Unless you just wanna feel like a badass in wich case I would say buy a gun

I'm scared that someone will pull a knife on me one of these days. I've had them puled out but never has someone used it on me. I don't try and fight, but sometimes my pride gets in the way and I do. I guess I'm more afraid not to fight than I am to fight. Weird huh? Anyways, I always carry a knife if the fight gets too out of hand and someone threatens me with one but I don't know if I could actually use it.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but this is fucked up. I just noticed this in my avatar, look at the right hand side of the picture and there is a face forming like a reflection or out of smoke. It is freaking me out, I never noticed it before!

it is real good for street self-defense, but today we live in a society where most people do not fight not inless they have a gun or knife on then ( today most peole are punks)

Check this web-site out and look at the clips real street self defense top quality instruction.

http://www.avinardia.com/home.html

tommboy-one on one I feel I murdered the guy, he realized that he was about to get a couple of soccer kicks to the head(which is legal in street fighting by the way). I got him a good amount of times when he was on his back and he was about to get finished. I do feel in some part that it would have been easier if I trained more, which leads me to wanting to get back into again. So in that sense I thanks these assholes.

Lucid- I didnt get any plate, I wish I did. Its all about getting instant gratification by punching someone and then being able to sue their asses.

SideofKO- yeah sometime after a fight you notice the extra cuts and bruses that you accumulate in street brawls....and how could you not notice the freakish ghostface on you sig?

I just did a siminar with Dan Inosonto not to long ago, it was a Kali demo. It was very informative, he showed us statistics on how 90% of fight fatalities are through weapon. No one ever really get killed by a flying kick to the head, rarely. I could honestly say weapons is the way to go for the streets. The only thing is if you are going to use a knife you better be able to explain to the police why the guy you just fileted is stabbed in 6 of his major organs.

Dan when he was showings disarms he would show the counter cut which was deadly and then the disarm and less leathal attack. I think is good cause once the other guys is disarmed you dont want to murder him, just let him know it was a bad idea to fuck with ya.

SideofKO said:
look at the right hand side of the picture and there is a face forming like a reflection or out of smoke. It is freaking me out, I never noticed it before!

Dude im on exstacy and smoked a joint then read this. There is a face, probably supposed to be there.

and how do you notice something like that?

- how would you "box" someone who is a hockey fighter? A shirt grabber?

Clinch, try & twist their head off while throwing in the knees.

- say that both guys' shirts are off and kept it standing, how would you place your hands to block a punch? I mean theres no gloves to absorb punches, so do you absorb it with your hands? Seems they can sneak in more punches barenuckle.

I remember 1st time i got punched bareknuckle was quite a suprise to me, 'cus i had my guard up (theres a lot of holes without 14oz gloves). Now if i were to cover up, i put my elbow over my face & slip the punch.

- jabbing on the street beneficial?

Could be called a necessity.

- whats the best punch combination on the street? Or most effective?

Possibly jab, cross, hook, if they don't go down from that then a flurry of straight or clinch & knee.

I would have to say boxing is great is street fighting you learn to throw stright punches and must street thugs throw hey makers. So that is where a well placed jab to the nose and a sweet right stright behind it to the body will stop 40% of all street fights. Next if you are going to use boxing in a street fight. Use all power shoots and yes the jab can be a power shoot. My lil bro just had is first fight and stoped the guy with a power jab to the body. But yeah boxer in a street fight should just put as much butt behind the shoots as they can and most if not all fights you will have with street thugs will end very fast.

StoneFist said:
Use all power shoots and yes the jab can be a power shoot..

damn straight! If You know how to box,your jab should discourage anyone.

my old instructor used to be a bouncer......he always emphasived learning your hands over everything,or at least becoming proficient and learning how to defend and not fear a boxer and all the punches that you will face.Basics,like shelling and moving diagonally,all the way up to lowering your head so their fist breaks on the top of your head.Body shots are more complicated i think....
In terms of martial arts (MMA) he believed that hands were number one....they set up so many other things, let alone end the fight if you hit harder than a truck (which can be learned...if you don't already).Even takedowns.....some guys will just wait for you to throw a punch so they can shoot in, but what if you are just throwing punches just to feint them?Then they are fucked!
In terms of self defense, i will never forget what i learned from him, cause when it happened to me it worked.If some dude is coming at you trying to fight (and you dont want to or are breaking up the fight or whatever),he said to hold your hands up palms outward in a non threatening, dont hurt me manner (saying don't do it blah blah blah).How easily do palms out become fists in a boxing guard? The second you see he is gonna throw, you beat him to the punch....and it will be self defense.
In that very initial confrontation,where the punches are just about to fly, is where the fight can be won.if you got hit by a dude who was half your size but hit with every ounce of body weight clean on your nose or chin (even if it was a chick who weighed a buck five) you would be rocked.Imagine takin a 105lb sledge hammer to the face.
He taught us how to hit with your body..... i have gained so much muscle weight just from boxing (no weight training whatsoever),because just hittting the bag with your body as hard as you possibly can, it puts such immense force on your joints and muscles and everything (i think the same concept as plyometrics but please correct me.)Learning to pull your punches well probably means that you can plant them so hard that their fillings will fall out.....but then landing it becomes the key.
I dont know.....just a post to add after a long week o' work
-ziggs

IMO any somewhat experienced boxer is pretty much going to dominate a streetfight agains the average joe. Whether it be because his striking is better or his footwork can keep him at the distance he wants, a boxer has a ton of advantages over a person with no skill.

Back