You think boxing skills alone is good enough for the street?

From my experiences...not too many guys on the street know how to fight. The majority of the time two moves will work great. The first is the jab. If they're standing up straight, just blast their nose and once they feel the break and see all the blood, they're in panic mode. The other technique is the knee to the face when they try to shoot in. Usually if the guy played football or was a high school wrestler, he'll try for this. Unfortunately for them, they usually don't expect the knee to blast them in the face. Look for the same end result as the jab...broken nose.

But if you only rely on this...you're gonna sooner or later meet the guy who knows how to fight. So the more you know, the better off you'll be.

The "best" streetfighters are the ones who will do whatever it takes to win. So confining yourself to a certain style will only do so much. That said, I think any form of MA that incorporates a lot of live sparring (MT, Kickboxing, BJJ, boxing) etc. will carry over to the street more than those who empasize solo work etc.

My boxing damn sure works in the street.

No man can match my 1 - 2.

It's long, it's hard, and I will stick you with it.

Oddly enough it's the first combo I learned.

Now I'm the kind a guy who would just stick you and let it be, cause mortal man will want no more after that. However, after that, you have so many options.

As a boxer I feel I have pretty good technique and above average power. However, I usually favour the palm strike when I'm cornered on the street, club, bar etc. But we all know that the situation will dictate the response, like I will normally punch and use kicks against a shorter opponent which is rare in my case as I'm only 5'8" tall.

On the topic of jabs, I'm not sure about others here but the goal for me is to end the fight as quickly as possible. This almost ALWAYS mean that I will HAVE to go pre-emptive in my attack, with that said, I want to use the most accurate/powerful tool possible. For me that is either the right cross or straight right palm, for others it may be something else (lead hook, uppercut, etc.) but you should go with what you're most confident in. 9 times out of 10 I'll either get the KO or at least stagger the opponent enough for me to get the fuck out of dodge.

Boxing skills alone are definitely enough for the shitwhipes out there. As stated before in the thread, most people out there have no damn clue on how to fight (unless u go up against some jailhouse thug who's fought alot, which is actually rare to run into). I've rarely seen a fight where one guy is seriously injured enough to the point where he can't get up. Mostly just bloody noses and torn shirts. The thing i see most is that people don't have the discipline to throw punches, so they'll panic and quickly grab or something b/c they're basically fighting "blind" and will do stupid stuff like grabbing the guy's shoe or swinging w/ their head down b/c they're frantic. The guys who win are those who keep punching and keep the distance so the other guy desperately trying to do whatever is beaten down.

Other skills would work fine as well. Muay Thai on its own would work just as well, so i'm not gonna try to compare.

Some good points there guys. ok what would you if a guy rushes up to you saying FUCKIN COME ON THEN and you know its gone past talking.Well what i would do is move to my left and bang him with my big right .......thats from a orthadox stance

on the street i would say that boxing would be good enough on the street because out there 80-90 percent of people will just be brawlers and have no talent or training and wont be able to split a punch and will jsut through "bombs" and will gass fast.

I think the left hook is the best sucker punch there is. You can't see it coming, it will almost definitely KO if it hits, and you can fire it off when the guy is right next to you. See Herring's latest DQ for the perfect example.

If the other guy is ready and coming at you, the 1-2. The jab is the best way to start because (a) it stops the other guy's wide haymaker/hook cold; (b) it's so damn fast; and (c) the 1-2 will KO just about anyone if you do it right, leading with the jab is much more damaging than the pure straight because the head gets tilted back by the jab for the cross to follow into.

Other than that, sprawl and knee in the clinch. Boxing is missing that part.

what if The guy is a football player/muscle head?? I highly doubt he will try and throw he will try and tackle you/ overpower you with his weight and strength, what do you do then cause more likely then not that person will actually be faster than you (running wise)

babyjay said:
I'm not too much into the mma. I love watching it and im pretty current, but i just prefer boxing in all its aspects. Do you believe amatuer boxing skills alone is enough for the streets? Just a few questions here:

- how would you "box" someone who is a hockey fighter? A shirt grabber?

- do you think mimicing zab judah and manny pacquiao is beneficial?

- say that both guys' shirts are off and kept it standing, how would you place your hands to block a punch? I mean theres no gloves to absorb punches, so do you absorb it with your hands? Seems they can sneak in more punches barenuckle.

- jabbing on the street beneficial?

- whats the best punch combination on the street? Or most effective?

Alright man, good questions. I pondered these for years as I was growing up so I feel I can relate to your perspective on this.

First, you gotta realize that a streetfight isn't a duel. You are NOT likely to fight anyone 1 on 1. Most likely you will fight more than 1 person at time and it will be in cramped quarters...like in a club, party, store, on the sidewalk, in between cars at a parking lot, etc. So in a street fight any attack that requires room, puts you off balance, or brings you to the ground should be avoided, i.e. kicks and groundfighting. The only exception being a quick kick to the balls. Face, Eyes, Nose, Jaw, temples, throat, balls. Those should be your targets.

To answer your questions...

1- You don't box a shirt grabber. And anyone who says a boxer wouldn't let a shirt grabber get close is naive. That's like guys who say they would knock a dude out before he could get close enough to grapple. As we've seen, that's bullshit. IMO, the best way to deal with a shirt grabber, when he's grabbed your shirt, is to use the Muay Thai clinch. It's not a boxing but it's incredibly effective and efficient. You do maximum damage in short time and are pretty well protected and you stay standing.

2- You shouldn't plan to mimic boxers when streetfighting. It works in the ring where there are rules and it's 1 on 1. You can't depend on that in the street. Use things that work, like straight punched, boxing footwork, etc, but don't completely emulate any boxer for streetfighting.

3- You shouldn't be blocking any punches, but if you mean absorbing the blow then you should be doing it your forearm/elbow/outer bicep, only if you must. You should slipping, bobbing, weaving, and parrying. But no ducking. Ducking leaves you wide open for a big knee, or random kick or takedown.

4- EVERY attack should be FULL power. You don't have time to feel your attacker out or set him up for the power hit. While you're busy jabbing dude #1, dude #2 is gonna come from behind and knock you the fuck out. In order to preserve your life you need to fight in the most efficient and effective manner possible. So NO jabs. No Body blows. Every hit is FULL power. Every blow MUST BE a KNOCKOUT blow. Incapacitate him before his friend can jump in. And if it's too late for that, incapacitate him quickly so you can run or turn to deal with the friend. Knock him out before he has the chance to pull a weapon. Get it? MAKE HIM SLEEP ASAP.

5-As was said, the 1-2. But make the 1 a straight hard punch. Not a light jab. And if you hit him with that combo continue moving forward throwing consecutive 1-2's. A great example of this is when Vitor fought Wanderlei in the UFC.

ok guys but in a streetfight would you stay up on your toes moving in and out of range doing one twos or just plant your feet and bang away

i do whatever i feel works...i jab..potshot..1/2...slip/block shots... hell i have even dropped my hands and showboat; sometimes it works, sometimes i got put on my ass in sparring and in fights (real). It happens but it's not gonna make me do anything diff... i do what i feel works for me.

only u know ur speed/timing/or strategy behind what u do, so only u can determine what u can get away w/against an opp..

anything can be countered...some things have a higher success rate than others; but anything can be countered, so don't get hung up on certain tech. Just be open minded to the opening some create for u and against u, any tech does both.

finally most people punch in fights/regardless of skill or background; an their is as big a gap between a guy who has ok standup/or has a light/low familiarity w/ standup. Is as big as the gap between an mma standup guy and a top k-1/boxer.

watch the fight w/goulet, who has good hands..chin..skill..toughness and watch how he was so cleanly dispatched w/ one shot by ludwig..same thing happened against pulver... Most dudes on the street aren't used to regularly throwing punches..much less taking them; so u are at a severe disadvantage in a fight, so if u come from a mma background or street background and u don't knwo the guy can box or don't recognize it, you will prob be face down before u get a chance to do whatever it is u don. The power and speed adv someone who competes or even spars regularly w/good pros/amateurs is just soo much better than most of us on this board or on the street and lets not even discuss tech.

My first street fight (was on high school grounds so kinda street) I dropped my bag to look good, like throwing down the gloves in hockey but I left my coat on. I had no Boxing/Muay Thai training back then so I just went for a takedown after receiving two sharp rights, One of which cut my lip. I supposed I paniced after getting them and not knowing how to punch properly/hard myself and to save embarressment I bullrushed and got a double-leg (wall-aided takedown) I was in the mound position asfar as I can remember throwing the old one inch punches . I was throwing them at his forehead for some fucking reason (Wh a stupid thing to do) and then out of knowere My coat was pulled over my head and he rained several more harmless punches to me throw the coat!!!

I think it was a draw as I got the takedown but I was so fucking pissed off with my performance I had to start boxing! But I just thought i'd mentiion this because of what you said about shirts being pulled over heads, Ive experienced it first hand and it is handing someone the fight possibly if it happeneds to you.

Why dont you just buy a good knife for 50$ and when sombody fucks with you stab them in the face........ knife>martial arts

also noted plz dont bash my comment unless you wanna back it up if you karate experts wanna suggest the idea of using martial arts to unarm a armed man using some bs enter the dragon shit, first set up the time and place sign a waver and give me a real knife and I will be more than happy to stab you in the face and post the vid on sherdog forums

ChrisDracula said:
Why dont you just buy a good knife for 50$ and when sombody fucks with you stab them in the face........ knife>martial arts

also noted plz dont bash my comment unless you wanna back it up if you karate experts wanna suggest the idea of using martial arts to unarm a armed man using some bs enter the dragon shit, first set up the time and place sign a waver and give me a real knife and I will be more than happy to stab you in the face and post the vid on sherdog forums

Are you an idiot or something?? If you pull a weapon at ANY time during an altercation, you'll be charged with 'brandishing a weapon'. If you actually use a weapon against an unarmed man, you can be faced with much worse.

The fact that you're not in jail means you're talking out of your ass.
If you are in jail... then I hope you can understand how you got there.

The fact that you're not in jail means you're talking out of your ass.
If you are in jail... then I hope you can understand how you got there.[/QUOTE]

Its called self defence, O yah I am in jail right now where they let us post on sherdog on a regular basis, I would be playing tennis but the court is packed......

Michael Wanaka said:
I personally believe that muay thai (specifically knees and elbows from the clinch) is more effective for self defense, simply because people have no idea what to do when you clamp down on their head. Also, with knees and elbows, you don't break your hands.
agreed

Wow, i thought my post was done long ago. Thanks for the extra replies fellaz. Soma and devante, you two or on my wavelength regarding my topic.

Ok, you guys say the 1-2 is the best combo. What about a 1-2-3? Hard jab, hard right and hard left hook. For example Kimbo's first punch combo against that black dude.

When i meant a hockey fighter i meant when the guy grabs your shirt with his leftand KEEPS throwing his money punch, his right hand. Like right punch, right punch, right punch etc. Is the MT clinch best, or straight blast him with 1-2's. Like Vitor vs silva?

Say hes coming at me with his haymaker. Lets say hes a lil more skilled. He throwing a LEAD STRAIGHT RIGHT CROSS from orthodox stance. I dont want to slip it because the force of his body will be coming into mine forcing me back even though he missed. What kind of footwork is best? Slide to my left? Countering is scary because every shot he throws is meant to knock me out. Should i even bother with countering?

I'm smaller than most. 5'8 weighing about 170lbs. EVERY dude i happen to fight will be bigger than me.

Learning how to fight from the clinch is a must. I never see a streetfight that's "toe-to-toe." It always consists of some sort of rush, which is bound to end up in some sort of clinch.

It also depends on how much of a priority self defense is to you. Are you just talking about streetfighting theoretically? If you're not in much danger, or if you don't get it many fights, you don't have to learn groundfighting or anything.

If you're in actual physical danger and physical confrontation is a frequent issue where you are, you really should stop playing favorites with styles and learn how to defend yourself during all parts of a fight.

Iceman5592 said:
Learning how to fight from the clinch is a must. I never see a streetfight that's "toe-to-toe." It always consists of some sort of rush, which is bound to end up in some sort of clinch.

It also depends on how much of a priority self defense is to you. Are you just talking about streetfighting theoretically? If you're not in much danger, or if you don't get it many fights, you don't have to learn groundfighting or anything.

If you're in actual physical danger and physical confrontation is a frequent issue where you are, you really should stop playing favorites with styles and learn how to defend yourself during all parts of a fight.

This guy should realize that alot of street fights end in a weapon being drawn.....unless you are primarly afraid of being beat up in the suburbs. once monkeys learned to use rocks and sticks to fight other monkeys they didnt think about less effective ways to hurt the other monkeys.. why should you? Knife>MMA or better buy a handgun 15 mins + 200$ better than countless hours than learning somthing you never need to use that often, I mean serously do you go around looking for a fight? Most ppl dont get into a street fight everyday, or enough to really use any martial art. Unless you just wanna feel like a badass in wich case I would say buy a gun

Back