You think boxing skills alone is good enough for the street?

babyjay said:
I'm not too much into the mma. I love watching it and im pretty current, but i just prefer boxing in all its aspects. Do you believe amatuer boxing skills alone is enough for the streets? Just a few questions here:

- how would you "box" someone who is a hockey fighter? A shirt grabber?

- do you think mimicing zab judah and manny pacquiao is beneficial?

- say that both guys' shirts are off and kept it standing, how would you place your hands to block a punch? I mean theres no gloves to absorb punches, so do you absorb it with your hands? Seems they can sneak in more punches barenuckle.

- jabbing on the street beneficial?

- whats the best punch combination on the street? Or most effective?

againset someone not trained? 90% of the time theyll throw wildass haymakers. you cant jab -fuck around usually in a streetfight (Bad for me thats how i fight). you need to be agressive and throw straight punches. if he grabs your shirt.....on the street, kick him in the balls climb on top and headbut him in the nose. boxing alone works best with boxing rules.

babyjay said:
I'm not too much into the mma. I love watching it and im pretty current, but i just prefer boxing in all its aspects. Do you believe amatuer boxing skills alone is enough for the streets? Just a few questions here:

- how would you "box" someone who is a hockey fighter? A shirt grabber?

- do you think mimicing zab judah and manny pacquiao is beneficial?

- say that both guys' shirts are off and kept it standing, how would you place your hands to block a punch? I mean theres no gloves to absorb punches, so do you absorb it with your hands? Seems they can sneak in more punches barenuckle.

- jabbing on the street beneficial?

- whats the best punch combination on the street? Or most effective?

How would I box a shirt lifter? Well I'd try and keep my back against the wall at all times.

Failing that having been in a fight with two shirt lifters and done two different things I'll tell you what I did. Both were right handers so grabbed with their left hand. First when they grabbed with their left hand my right lapel area I ducked under their arm so now they can't hit me and then pumelled them with my left hooks. The other time I just stepped my left foot forward, pivoted and again left hooked the shit out of them. Most average idiots can't even use their left hand let alone know how to defend against one.

Not boxing but the other thing I'd like to try next should the opportunity present itself (hopefully it won't) is to overhook their left arm with my right, clasp my hands together and put on a standing arm bar. Got to be fast though to beat their right hand punch. Saying that there are fighters in the pro game that use this technique in the clinch to rough up their opponents.

Jabs are definitely beneficial. There are fast and easy to use and bareknuckle will open up cuts. Enough to deter most aggressors. Saying that if there are more than one you can't mess about and have to lay down the big guns.

Best combination is the 1-2 or 1-2 left hook. Keep it simple.

most trained boxer, esp someone who competes regularly will hand the avg cat his ass on the street and nine times out of ten will do the same w/mma types; the punches come soo much faster..more fluid..sharper and harder, even if u work ur hands the gap is just soo broad. phys and tech...

as far as standup i do whatever...slip/duck/parry...jab..straight right..double jab...lead right..
roll shoulders whatever i can do..even potshot..

i say boxing esp if u have really refined it...when u go on the attack you will prob blowout 95% of the cats out, they might be used to speed or power or even tech; you don't see them all together or at a high level, an compared to the street or ma or mma cat u just can't be prepared for all of them.

Back