You have a $15-$20k for a weekend car, what do you buy?

i dont understand the concept of a 'weekend' car. if you like it better, why not drive it regularly? unless its like a size thing where you need a van on your daily or something

Sporty cars can be very punishing with the stiff suspensiosn, manual transmission can be a pain to get stuck in daily 9 to 5 traffic, drink lots of gas (turbos ,V8), can be unreliable if we are talking about used or heavy modded cars, as you say space, they can be a target of robbers cause of the wheels or parts.

So lots of people just use those cars on weekends when they want to enjoy the drive (some people even do track days) and not when they just need to go from point A to B or run to work and back home.

Corvettes always wipe the floor with them beside the models that cost more than double the Vette and even then the C7Z is right there or better in certain categories(usually braking, lateral G and track time).

If they actually compared by price range it is laughable.

C7 msrp 55k
455 hp
460 ft lbs
0-60 3.8
1/4 11.9
Lat G 1.08
17/29 mpg

Porsche boxster
msrp 52k
265 hp
206 ft lbs
0-60 5.5
1/4 13.8
Lat G 1.04
Mpg 22/32

There is a Boxster or Cayman GTS that is 75k msrp and has 340 hp compared to the C7Z msrp 78k with 650 hp lol oh and I can guarantee you that after options you would get the Vette cheaper and it would hold it's value much better.

We'll see. I'm in no kind of rush atm. May be able to wait a year before making the plunge. I will do lots of test driving

Audi S4 - You can buy a nice used S4 for 20k
Couple of years ago that would have been a good idea, but I actually use a BMW 335i M Sport as my DD. They are direct competitors, not talking about making a lateral move.

What is your worthwhile?

If 20k can buy you many years of enjoyment I'd rather spend it vs retiring a year earlier.

True.... I may have not mentioned a few details: I'm still studying and looking to further my career. My fiancée is finishing up her masters program and getting a dual certificate for teaching, she's guaranteed a $20k salary boost this year. Then there's my inheritance...

You get the picture. Maybe if I was in the position where I could not look forward to making any more money then maybe I'd focus on managing the money I have better.

Maybe.

If I had the funds for a second vehicle for just the heck of it, I think I would just get some sort of a jeep so that I could go 4 wheeling in. But to just have a fancy sports car to drive around on the weekend seems kind of pointless.

Unless he actually plans on making it a dedicated autocross vehicle there are significantly better options with that budget.

For theoretical performance driving buff book numbers that no one is likely to achieve, sure.

For actual performance driving skills that will be universally applicable to every car he'll ever get in, then there is no better answer the Miata.

For anyone who has ever asked the question, "I have XYZ dollars, what do I buy?" - IF learning driving fundamental is a high priority, spend 4-5K on a Miata, spend a $2-3k on driving lessons and track time for a year or two, save the rest. In the meantime, make friends with and spend seat time in cars of other people at the track and at sports car events. Then when you know what you want, sell the Miata and get the higher powered car you want. You will be have much better fundamentals and be faster in whatever vehicle you choose this way than if you chose a higher powered, but less balanced car in the first place.

IF, OTOH, driving skills aren't actually all that important to you and your primary concern are comparing hypothetical numbers, looking cool and driving fast on public roads, then sure, then Miata doesn't look as good.

I honestly don't quite get why people buy nice commuters. Just get some really cheap new/used car that gets great mpg, low insurance and maintenance that you plan on running into the ground and then get a nice "weekend car".

Because its the car you're going to be seen in 90% of the time.

For theoretical performance driving buff book numbers that no one is likely to achieve, sure.

For actual performance driving skills that will be universally applicable to every car he'll ever get in, then there is no better answer the Miata.

For anyone who has ever asked the question, "I have XYZ dollars, what do I buy?" - IF learning driving fundamental is a high priority, spend 4-5K on a Miata, spend a $2-3k on driving lessons and track time for a year or two, save the rest. In the meantime, make friends with and spend seat time in cars of other people at the track and at sports car events. Then when you know what you want, sell the Miata and get the higher powered car you want. You will be have much better fundamentals and be faster in whatever vehicle you choose this way than if you chose a higher powered, but less balanced car in the first place.

IF, OTOH, driving skills aren't actually all that important to you and your primary concern are comparing hypothetical numbers, looking cool and driving fast on public roads, then sure, then Miata doesn't look as good.

Hypothetical numbers... ok they are slightly less on the street but those numbers on a 1/4 mile track are pretty accurate for most people with a bit of practice. I do drive fast on the street. Not sure how accurate the G meter on my car is but I can hit .9x with tires that don't have a ton of heat in them. When my rear tires are hot I can do 2500 rpm launches from stop lights and stop signs. While probably not 3.5 seconds it is still very fast to 60...

You are obviously taking a jab at me listing numbers, because when talking about cars and comparing they are completely useless :rolleyes:. Well regardless of actual numbers the miata is a slow pos. You can build them to be good short track dedicated autocross cars and that's about it. You can buy a C5(50/50 weight ratio) for around 15k and get the same lessons but with a car that will be infinitely more fun on the street. If he said I want an autocross car and that's it I would have probably mentioned a built miata. But for something that he will take to the beach, drive on the street often, etc there are much better cars.

Couple of years ago that would have been a good idea, but I actually use a BMW 335i M Sport as my DD. They are direct competitors, not talking about making a lateral move.
Yeah.. I'm bias.. had lots of Audis ;) - The M series are nice though... I had a M3 back in the day. (E30). Still have an Audi and a VW Phaeton now.

Back