You have a $15-$20k for a weekend car, what do you buy?

+1

You absolutely, positively cannot go wrong with a Miata as your first sports car. The only people who think otherwise are guys who think they can drive well just because they can drive a stick and drive recklessly fast on public roads.

Unless he actually plans on making it a dedicated autocross vehicle there are significantly better options with that budget.

You cant get classic number matching Chevelles or Camaros for 15-20k in great shape but you can get 2nd tier cool American muscle. For the weekend I would always go convertible, but with a big block. Some cool ones in that price range:

I rented a Dodge Challenger for 2 weeks. It was an awesome car. I think I'd go with a Hellcat if I were to get a weekend car because of the 707hp and I love the whine the supercharger makes. It sounds like your driving straight into the depths of hell. I also feel like i'm stepping into a transformer's vehicle every time.

I was driving down Ocean drive with the Challenger and it was so easy to burn out even with the V6. I can't imagine another 400 horsepower. I'd probably kill myself.

Found a couple of early 2000s 911s under $25k with less than 50k miles.

I think I have made my decision....

Been reading a lot of comparison articles lately.

Porsche always wins...

If you have a mortgage, pay down on it instead of wasting your money on another car when you already have one. Or pay off your credit cards.

If you want fun.

Buy a 10k whatever, stripe the shit out of it spend 5k on parks and go racing. 5k left for maintenance and repairs.

Something to fit a 6'8" fish surfboard, a truck or van. My current car is a scion XD

Been reading a lot of comparison articles lately.

Porsche always wins...

Corvettes always wipe the floor with them beside the models that cost more than double the Vette and even then the C7Z is right there or better in certain categories(usually braking, lateral G and track time).

If they actually compared by price range it is laughable.

C7 msrp 55k
455 hp
460 ft lbs
0-60 3.8
1/4 11.9
Lat G 1.08
17/29 mpg

Porsche boxster
msrp 52k
265 hp
206 ft lbs
0-60 5.5
1/4 13.8
Lat G 1.04
Mpg 22/32

There is a Boxster or Cayman GTS that is 75k msrp and has 340 hp compared to the C7Z msrp 78k with 650 hp lol oh and I can guarantee you that after options you would get the Vette cheaper and it would hold it's value much better.

These are my weekend toys.

BMW Dakar
63Q8OrX.jpg

BMW R1100RS
OFrUzVk.png

KLR650
LadUxsk.jpg

So let's say you can fit a second car into your budget. You already have a nice daily driver, now you want something fun for weekends/track days/beach runs.

What do you consider?

Spending my money on something more worthwhile, working less, or retiring younger

I would urge you to at least go test drive a C5Z. The interior is well pretty dated and not great but as far as a car that is extremely fun to drive and has good power you cant go wrong. They are very easy to drive as well. Tons of fun, sounds good, handle great, get good mpg for trips, etc.

Like others have mentioned, I do not see the point of a weekend vehicle especially if there is still outstanding debt that requires attention.

But alas, to each his own.

Back