Media Yoel celebrating his loss

Poor romero...I thought he won too even though I bet on Costa.

I dont know why Romero pulled his tongue like that, he's never done it in the past. Its bad luck waiting to happen, you pull you tongue like that an baaam, you'r out cold and tomorrow you find yourself on instant karma youtube videos

I dont know why Romero pulled his tongue like that, he's never done it in the past. Its bad luck waiting to happen, you pull you tongue like that an baaam, you'r out cold and tomorrow you find yourself on instant karma youtube videos
He was baiting the counter

Romero was acting weird lol.. I dont know but he acted like a retard. He looked like he had a stroke or something.

This is what I saw watching the fight. Costa consistently popping Yoel and Yoel making funny faces/no selling it. Romero had a few nice flurries but I thought he was soundly outstruck in volume and power for the majority of that fight.

What you saw and what happened are two different things.
The fight metric clearly shows Yoel out landing costa in the 2nd and 3rd round, as well as landing 1 takedown in the 2nd.

He is close to be punch drunk it seems.
He was acting like an idiot just after Costa send him to the floor, and he looks really stupid listening to the result and even no understanding it.
But tbh it had me like
tenor.gif

Pretty sure, according to the fight stats, Romero actually landed more headshots in the fight... but basically lost every other aspect of scoring.

Romero lost every aspect of scoring except headshots?

Romero outstruck Costa in terms of significant strikes in both rounds 2 and 3.

Romero landed the only takedown of the fight.

And in terms of visible damage, Costa's face was busted up.

And in terms of finishing strong, Costa looked like he was fading towards the end of round 3 while Romero kept pouring it on.

Was the fight close and competitive ? Yes. But were the individual rounds close enough to merit a decision in favor of Costa? Not at all. Romero by 29-28

The 8second takedown that did absolutely nothing? ;) I'm glad judges didn't score that bullshit over shots Costa landed in the beginning of that round.

Reading is fundamental

He can't speak English, cut him some slack. He needed Joey Coco Diaz there to translate for him.
Dont know man, "Paulo Costa" isnt English for Yoel Romero.

I'm pretty sure fightmetric and similar places counts those weird flicky jab strikes Yoel throws as significant.

The only round that is contested is round two. During the fight, I thought it was fairly obvious Costa was landing the more effective shots and controlling the location of the fight more than Yoel, at least in rounds one and two.

It's one of those "in the schoolyard it would basically be a draw but the modern scoring system demands a winner" type fights. Yoel has been in a lot of those recently (three of his last six fights...I thought he beat Jacare, should have drew with Whittaker 2, and lost against Costa).

I'm pretty sure fightmetric and similar places counts those weird flicky jab strikes Yoel throws as significant.

The only round that is contested is round two. During the fight, I thought it was fairly obvious Costa was landing the more effective shots and controlling the location of the fight more than Yoel, at least in rounds one and two.

It's one of those "in the schoolyard it would basically be a draw but the modern scoring system demands a winner" type fights. Yoel has been in a lot of those recently.

Those weird flicky jabs chopped Costas face up. Busted his nose and mouth.

Those weird flicky jabs chopped Costas face up. Busted his nose and mouth.

I doubt it. No doubt Yoel hit him with meaningful shots, but a number of them did not seem meaningful watching the fight. Beyond that, facial damage can be sort of tricky (different fighters have different tolerances/bodies for revealing damage in the first place).

I think this is a case where volume of strikes via fight statistics can be somewhat misleading.

Certainly, Yoel didn't *obviously* win the second round. There is no reasonable way to call it a robbery against Yoel like some are. Worst case scenario is a super-close win for Yoel that happened to go against him.

Last edited:
I doubt it. No doubt Yoel hit him with meaningful shots, but a number of them did not seem meaningful watching the fight. Beyond that, facial damage can be sort of tricky (different fighters have different tolerances/bodies for revealing damage in the first place).

I think this is a case where volume of strikes via fight statistics can be somewhat misleading.

Certainly, Yoel didn't *obviously* win the second round. There is no reasonable way to call it a robbery against Yoel like some are. Worst case scenario is a super-close win for Yoel that happened to go against him.
His jabs were brutal, try taking a full power jab from Romero.

His jabs were brutal, try taking a full power jab from Romero.

I'm not talking about power jabs. I'm talking about all of the off-balance jabs (not even a jab honestly) he threw that landed but with minimal damage (judging by Costa's reaction).

Back