Yoel’s best UFC wins

• Thread starter Deleted member 359865
  • Start date
Weidman beat a bunch of mid 2000s relics during his run and was honestly another overhyped MW. By the time he started facing guys that actually belonged in MW title bouts he started getting merked beginning with Luke. Dude was washed, MW is a deceivingly weak division and always has been. Izzy, Whittaker, and Silva (Moose is an honorable mention) have been the only dangerous MWs.

Idk Izzy,Whitaker and Silva? Who have they beat? Moose lost to that Bellator Storm guy IMO.All 185ers suck.

There's plenty of examples of guys going up and down weight classes who have had more success doing so. That doesn't mean the weight class is weak. Weidman beat older guys, so what? Machida was incredibly successful at 205. Yes, he lost there, but he was far from an overrated fighter.
I never said Machida was overrated. GSP came back after years away and ran through a champion that KOd Rockhold and nearly lost again to a 40+ year old Hendo for crying aloud. P4P MW doesn’t stack up to other divisions which is why 3 kickboxers have sent back nearly all contenders.

I never said Machida was overrated. GSP came back after years away and ran through a champion that KOd Rockhold and nearly lost again to a 40+ year old Hendo for crying aloud. P4P MW doesn’t stack up to other divisions which is why 3 kickboxers have sent back nearly all contenders.

Izzy may not be a grappler but his takedown defense is strong. Rockhold was incredibly talented with grave faults. Anderson went up and beat Forrest a fight removed from being champion and the guy who beat him lost to Machida who Weidman beat, yet he's one of the most overrated guys in one of the most overrated divisions (LOL)?

We can do this song and dance all night. 185 is not historically overrated. I disagree entirely.

Izzy may not be a grappler but his takedown defense is strong. Rockhold was incredibly talented with grave faults. Anderson went up and beat Forrest a fight removed from being champion and the guy who beat him lost to Machida who Weidman beat, yet he's one of the most overrated guys in one of the most overrated divisions (LOL)?

We can do this song and dance all night. 185 is not historically overrated. I disagree entirely.
Anderson Silva is in the GOAT conversation and could’ve easily been a LHW champion if he wanted. Again Weidman beat an aging Machida which means little considering the rest of his resume. Comparatively MW is only better than HW and Flyweight when it comes to depth of talent in their prime. It’s pretty objective when you look at the careers of a lot of the contenders who found success after leaving other divisions. Not saying other divisions don’t have guys who moved around but lots of their contenders found success at that weight in the UFC before jumping around.

It's funny how the narrative of a fighter changes once he leaves the UFC and loses in Bellator.

Just last year, people were saying he could move up to LHW and become a UFC champion. He goes to Bellator and then, all of a sudden, he's washed up. He loses in Bellator and now he was never that good.

Same with Rumble. When he announced that he was coming back, people were so excited that he could fight in the UFC for the LHW title or even make a splash at HW. He signed with Bellator and then he is washed up again.

If anything, this fight doesn't show how bad Yoel is but how good Phil's wrestling and grappling is to be able to control him. It also showcased how much Phil's striking has improved since his UFC days.

Phil is the best grappler in LHW history and would give any fighter, UFC or Bellator, a run for their money.

You had me right up until that last paragraph. Did you somehow erase the memory of Rashad dominating Phil from your brain? "Best grappler ever." LOL!! Jones? DC? That said, he's world class.

Anderson Silva is in the GOAT conversation and could’ve easily been a LHW champion if he wanted. Again Weidman beat an aging Machida which means little considering the rest of his resume. Comparatively MW is only better than HW and Flyweight when it comes to depth of talent in their prime. It’s pretty objective when you look at the careers of a lot of the contenders who found success after leaving other divisions. Not saying other divisions don’t have guys who moved around but lots of their contenders found success at that weight in the UFC before jumping around.

I hate the idea that we go back and look at fighters and say they were never good or they were overrated. You can only judge fighters among who their peers or competitors were and within that context, they're not overrated.

These guys are fighting in a sport with numerous disciplines and with four ounce gloves and a ridiculously small margin for error. There's so much nuance and small aspects of these bouts that play into the outcome that saying tonight's loss by a 44-year old Romero who's shown glimpses of this in the past that have seemingly culminated into tonight's performance - with Davis' help - crystallizes the fact that Middleweight has always been weak is short sighted. Saying that kickboxers have dominated the division doesn't diminish the success of anyone in it. We can agree to disagree. I do appreciate your opinion even if I do disagree.

Gotta love all this revisionist history. Guess what, guys? BJ Penn was never any good!
In what universe is BJ Penn a fair analogy to Yoel Romero as it pertains to my argument. BJ is the greatest LW of all time and dipshits that say otherwise don’t know what they’re talking about. Yoel at best was a contender who could not rise to the occasion more often than not.

I hate the idea that we go back and look at fighters and say they were never good or they were overrated. You can only judge fighters among who their peers or competitors were and within that context, they're not overrated.

These guys are fighting in a sport with numerous disciplines and with four ounce gloves and a ridiculously small margin for error. There's so much nuance and small aspects of these bouts that play into the outcome that saying tonight's loss by a 44-year old Romero who's shown glimpses of this in the past that have seemingly culminated into tonight's performance - with Davis' help - crystallizes the fact that Middleweight has always been weak is short sighted. Saying that kickboxers have dominated the division doesn't diminish the success of anyone in it. We can agree to disagree. I do appreciate your opinion even if I do disagree.
I support your stance in this post and can admit that I might be a little harsh in questioning his status as a ever being a top 5 guy considering these points you’ve presented. That said, I don’t really hold tonight’s loss against him as I’ve never been a huge fan of the guy, I did feel a bit emboldened to finally share my true opinion about him after tonight’s loss though. I appreciate your opinions too, I’d say your approach is realism and mine is a bit radical or abstract as we look for different things when watching this sport.

I support your stance in this post and can admit that I might be a little harsh in questioning his status as a ever being a top 5 guy considering these points you’ve presented. That said, I don’t really hold tonight’s loss against him as I’ve never been a huge fan of the guy, I did feel a bit emboldened to finally share my true opinion about him after tonight’s loss though. I appreciate your opinions too, I’d say your approach is realism and mine is a bit radical or abstract as we look for different things when watching this sport.

Fair enough. I do think Yoel has legitimate claims to that second Whittaker fight and took a round 10-8. He beat Weidman, Rockhold and Jacare who were all flawed fighters but were exceptional at the time and some of them in brutal fashion. He's obviously been on the downswing for a while with consecutive losses at an older age, but you could say he possibly beat Costa. MMA is such a crazy sport.

Just look at the ranks between 2014 and 18. Who else could yoel fight?

He wasn't getting those big fights with the Chris and rockhold until later on in his career. Bisping ducked him. Anderson Silva fell quickly off the map before he could get a match with him. Same with Vitor. The only two people left are kelvin and gegard who he never fought

Last edited:
No, Yoel is who he always was.

He's a low output fighter who gives away rounds and relies on the knockout. When the KO happens, he's a killer. When it doesn't, you get boring fights.

He's always been a top MW. I've watched his fight with Costa probably like 5-6 times. That fight was ridiculous action bell to bell. That's how I'll remember him.

Back