Yoel’s best UFC wins

• Thread starter Deleted member 359865
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 359865

Beat a washed Weidman (knee KO was cool tho) and a washed rockhold and was propped up as some killer ever since. Yet all of his matches against top tier guys in their prime have hardly been impressive. Is it safe to say this guy was never ever really a top 5 MW?

It's funny how the narrative of a fighter changes once he leaves the UFC and loses in Bellator.

Just last year, people were saying he could move up to LHW and become a UFC champion. He goes to Bellator and then, all of a sudden, he's washed up. He loses in Bellator and now he was never that good.

Same with Rumble. When he announced that he was coming back, people were so excited that he could fight in the UFC for the LHW title or even make a splash at HW. He signed with Bellator and then he is washed up again.

If anything, this fight doesn't show how bad Yoel is but how good Phil's wrestling and grappling is to be able to control him. It also showcased how much Phil's striking has improved since his UFC days.

Phil is the best grappler in LHW history and would give any fighter, UFC or Bellator, a run for their money.

Last edited:
Beat a washed Weidman (knee KO was cool tho) and a washed rockhold and was propped up as some killer ever since. Yet all of his matches against top tier guys in their prime have hardly been impressive. Is it safe to say this guy was never ever really a top 5 MW?
Gotta watch Whittaker-Romero back to back to judge whether he is overrated or not

Sometimes I feel he doesn't have the best fight IQ but I still feel he can ko Ngannou/Gane any given night.

define washed? Weidman only lost to Rockhold before losing to Romero. Rockhold was 16-3 before losing to Romero. Romero also arguably won the second whittaker fight.
Weidman beat a bunch of mid 2000s relics during his run and was honestly another overhyped MW. By the time he started facing guys that actually belonged in MW title bouts he started getting merked beginning with Luke. Dude was washed, MW is a deceivingly weak division and always has been. Izzy, Whittaker, and Silva (Moose is an honorable mention) have been the only dangerous MWs.

It's funny how the narrative of a fighter changes once he leaves the UFC and loses in Bellator.

Just last year, people were saying he could move up to LHW and become a UFC champion. He goes to Bellator and then, all of a sudden, he's washed up. He loses in Bellator and now he was never that good.

Same with Rumble. When he announced that he was coming back, people were so excited that he could fight in the UFC for the LHW title or even make a splash at HW. He signed with Bellator and then he is washed up again.

If anything, this fight doesn't show how bad Yoel is but how good Phil's wrestling and grappling is to be able to control him. It also showcased how much Phil's striking has improved since his UFC days.

Phil is the best grappler in LHW history and would give any fighter, UFC or Bellator, a run for their money.

I think the Bellator loss confirmed what many were suspecting - his age has effected his cardio to the point that he couldn't sustain output and he's become a fighter who doesn't really dictate much or isn't willing to take risks to create opportunities. Tonight he looked worse than he ever has. That's a fact. He legitimately lost the grappling entirely for the first time in his career.

I'm not sure how many people were claiming Yoel was going to go up and win the 205 title in the UFC. If they were, I'm not sure they were being realistic. I do not think there is a conspiracy to hate on Yoel or beat him down. He did not look good tonight.

I also think saying Phil is the best 205 grappler of all time is a stretch. If you think people are going out of their way to hate on Yoel after that performance and him being in Bellator is causing others to exaggerate this loss, I think you're going out of your way to elevate Phil to lessen what that loss tell us about Yoel.

Regardless, Phil is good. Yoel does look older and did not look great tonight. Phil played a part in that. So did Yoel.

Weidman was not washed at the time.

Weidman beat a bunch of mid 2000s relics during his run and was honestly another overhyped MW. By the time he started facing guys that actually belonged in MW title bouts he started getting merked beginning with Luke. Dude was washed, MW is a deceivingly weak division and always has been. Izzy, Whittaker, and Silva (Moose is an honorable mention) have been the only dangerous MWs.

So we're now shitting on a division historically to downgrade the success of one person? Lol.

I've always said he was the lost overrated MW of all time, probably worse so than Mousasi

His nut-huggers like to pretend he beat Whittaker and Izzy though, oh and even Costa LOL

This Davis loss means nothing though. Dude is 44, at a higher weightclass, and coming off a neck surgery. He's done.

I've always said he was the lost overrated MW of all time, probably worse so than Mousasi

His nut-huggers like to pretend he beat Whittaker and Izzy though, oh and even Costa LOL

This Davis loss means nothing though. Dude is 44, at a higher weightclass, and coming off a neck surgery. He's done.

Yoel has a legitimate claim to that second fight with Bobby, no matter how much I like the guy.

So we're now shitting on a division historically to downgrade the success of one person? Lol.
Lol the division was weak…beat a Vitor who had become a contender with PEDs and a Machida who was bound to lose to more athletic guys at MW as he was aging and a only won two fights at MW. Silva, Izzy, and Whittaker dominance of the division affirm my point. Most of the contenders in the division have been guys dropping down or moving up in weight.

Lol the division was weak…beat a Vitor who had become a contender with PEDs and a Machida who was bound to lose to more athletic guys at MW as he was aging and a only won two fights at MW. Silva, Izzy, and Whittaker dominance of the division affirm my point. Most of the contenders in the division have been guys dropping down or moving up in weight.

There's plenty of examples of guys going up and down weight classes who have had more success doing so. That doesn't mean the weight class is weak. Weidman beat older guys, so what? Machida was incredibly successful at 205. Yes, he lost there, but he was far from an overrated fighter.

Back