Xbox One without Kinect announced: $399

Yeah, if it's one thing I learned from the PS3 coming from behind and going from an overpriced joke to the clear choice for best value gaming console last gen and the changes MS have made so far in under a year it's that you can always predict how a console generation will go by what happens in the first 10% of it.

lol

M$ has to be thoroughly defeated to do something like this. I feel like it won't even matter anyway, it's still an inferior product to the ps4.

lets not even begin to talk about how crappy they are handling the windows OS. windows 8 hasn't been out for that long an windows 9 is being leaked or i'm sorry "teased"

Before owning the X1, I couldn't care less about Kinect. After purchasing and playing the X1, I wouldn't trade the Kinect for $100.

The kinect honestly has some useful functionality. It's nice to use voice commands once you get used to them. For example this past weekend I was playing Titanfall but wanted to periodically watch the fights at the same time. I did that instantly with just two voice commands while playing my game. Or walking into the room while I put my work shit away and just saying XBOX ON and having my xbox, cable and tv turn on automatically, then have the game running without getting the remote.

Is this worth $100? Probably not, but it is useful and nice. I still prefer my PS4, but there is no doubt that the One is a more fun machine to use.

The kinect honestly has some useful functionality. It's nice to use voice commands once you get used to them. For example this past weekend I was playing Titanfall but wanted to periodically watch the fights at the same time. I did that instantly with just two voice commands while playing my game. Or walking into the room while I put my work shit away and just saying XBOX ON and having my xbox, cable and tv turn on automatically, then have the game running without getting the remote.

Is this worth $100? Probably not, but it is useful and nice. I still prefer my PS4, but there is no doubt that the One is a more fun machine to use.

How do you get your TV to turn on with the xbox? I don't have cable so I don't have anything hooked up to the X1. Does your TV's power plug into your cable box?

How do you get your TV to turn on with the xbox? I don't have cable so I don't have anything hooked up to the X1. Does your TV's power plug into your cable box?

There's an IR blaster so it essentially works as a giant universal remote.

Haha

Kinect 2. Late 90's technology.

Best part is you can't really tell it when to power on what, so at least some people are running into situations where they power on everything via the kinect and then have to power cycle their receiver to get audio right, shit like that. Mainly hdmi handshake issues I guess.

There is no direct connection via power cords. Only the HDMI from the One to the TV and the coaxial cable from the cable box to the TV. It's a setting you have to toggle to get it to turn everything on automatically, IIRC.

It's very useful, actually. Powering everything down in two voice commands feels slick.

Is it just me or was the pricing better before the Kinect free version? $450 with Titanfall and the Kinect and now $400 for just the system.

Although it's cheaper, unless you just really didn't want the Kinect this is just not as good of deal.

Just seems like a marketing gimmick IMO.

Is it just me or was the pricing better before the Kinect free version? $450 with Titanfall and the Kinect and now $400 for just the system.

Although it's cheaper, unless you just really didn't want the Kinect this is just not as good of deal.

Just seems like a marketing gimmick IMO.

That was the retailers doing that to move the surplus they had. MS had to do something. I'd say this has way more to do with the retailers than it does the actual consumers.

This is great news for Xbox1 and bad news for dummys like me that actually own the 500$ version with the gimmick camera. X1 has been ouselling the ps4 for a while now in NA and this price drop should help it solidify itself as the dominant console in America.

Seeing as how I recently saw deals with the kinect version and titanfall and forza for 450$ I can see the kinectless version getting far cheaper than 399$ fairly quickly.

Kinect had so much potential, they screwed up however.

Microsoft should of gone for the kill however...They should of sold the new Xbox One for $375....since the PS4 probably cost more to make.

They probably didn't do that because they still want to sell the kinect xboxes.

Yeah, if it's one thing I learned from the PS3 coming from behind and going from an overpriced joke to the clear choice for best value gaming console last gen and the changes MS have made so far in under a year it's that you can always predict how a console generation will go by what happens in the first 10% of it.

Yeah PS3 was a joke for the first 2 years, but at least they didn't flat out piss a bunch of loyal fans off. Also, the PS3 was at least a little bit more powerful than the 360. Now, the Bone is going to have to try and make a comeback with a noticeably less powerful system. And for the first time, I think the public is largely aware of that fact.

Kinect had so much potential, they screwed up however.

Microsoft should of gone for the kill however...They should of sold the new Xbox One for $375....since the PS4 probably cost more to make.

They probably didn't do that because they still want to sell the kinect xboxes.

im sorry no one want to play games with they're hands or scream "reload or support" at the tv.

This is great news for Xbox1 and bad news for dummys like me that actually own the 500$ version with the gimmick camera. X1 has been ouselling the ps4 for a while now in NA and this price drop should help it solidify itself as the dominant console in America.

Seeing as how I recently saw deals with the kinect version and titanfall and forza for 450$ I can see the kinectless version getting far cheaper than 399$ fairly quickly.

Ps4 is outselling the x1 in the us . It even beat the x1 I'm March which no one predicted. Npd has confirmed this

You can't FORCE people to accept the future while completely abandoning the now.

One day a voice interface with be standard, but we shouldn't have to pay for it until it is.

Some analyst predicts Xbox will overtake Ps4 in 2015

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-05-13-xbox-one-to-overtake-ps4-in-us-by-2015-says-analyst

Personally, I haven't been too interested in xbox this new generation since kinect bundling and their drm stance before they changed that. But I can see the possibility of X1 narrowing the gap in sales with Sony. At this time there's still a significant portion of gamers still gaming primarily on their xbox 360 or ps3 that have yet jumped into new generation. As time passes more titles will be exclusive to next gen systems and gamers must force to migrate, and from there they'll make choices. With a kinectless model, and cheaper price point, it may be enticing to some prospects. IMO, I still think ps4 is a better value, and could ride a larger wave of momentum depending on the exclusives they offer at e3.
I suppose it's possible that an exclusive blockbuster game franchise could tilt the balance. After all, Microsoft didn't wait two years to implement their retreat. They got on top of it after just six months. The $399 price point is everything. The truth is the average consumer doesn't know about or care about computational power. Additionally, the truth is that even though Sony is murdering them globally, and even though sales so far represent a sea change percentage in North America relative to the 360 vs. PS3 generation...they only maintain an incremental lead in this market right now: 3.47m vs. 3.12m. They've only sold 11% more units here.

But this bitterness in the mouths of gamers has leaked into the mainstream itself. I have friends who don't game, and don't really know much of anything about gaming, and they expressed anger at what Microsoft did with their launch. Now, they're young males, so they represent the most in-touch demographic of the mainstream, but still, that impressed me. Also, that demographic is the key demographic for casual gamers. So I wouldn't underestimate that effect.

The $449-$479 bundles you've seen for the Xbox One on retailer websites like Amazon were retailer decisions. Microsoft made no shift in their MSRP. In other words, those cuts in pricing were an indication of how terrible online sales have been for the Xbox One. It's not a good sign, and it's not an indication of cost. I doubt that you'll see any set prices below $399 for the next 18 months, at least.

Back