Xbox One without Kinect announced: $399

Remove the paywall is the greatest thing they could have done.

That said, still going to wait... first price drops, then games bundled, then kinect removed... will only get better from here.

Good, now I might buy one somewhere down the line, though I said the same thing about 360 and never got one.

I'm not sure why MS is getting props for this move. It took almost six months before they went, "Oh shit! Our system isn't selling. I guess we can we'll have to ditch the Kinect and drop the price to compete with Sony."

I bet the NSA is pissed.

I see the headlines now.

Under Presidents orders: The Xbox One must include Kinect as matter of national security.

Bwahahaha, no more spying.

Finally.

I've had my kinect sitting in my living room, plugged in, since November. The NSA, FBI or Obama haven't called me and gotten angry about me jerking it. Because they're not fucking watching.

I'm not sure why MS is getting props for this move. It took almost six months before they went, "Oh shit! Our system isn't selling. I guess we can we'll have to ditch the Kinect and drop the price to compete with Sony."

It can be tough to make a decision like this when you've staked a huge part of your corporate direction on one of its features (the Kinect). It's not like this was a snap decision. I'm not certain that applause is the right response, but certainly it should be recognized that this was a difficult corporate decision that is in the best interests of the consumer (or rather, results in a benefit for the consumer).

Sucks for those that actually liked the Kinect. That extra $100 down the drain.

Sucks for those that actually liked the Kinect. That extra $100 down the drain.

I'm not sure what you mean. If people liked the Kinect and bought an XOne for $100 more, how did they waste that money?

If they want to buy one that has a Kinect they can still buy one bundled in for $100 more than their new model.

Still too expensive, though, considering the PS4 is still a higher performance machine at the same price. It is good that MS is copying Sony now. I may eventually pick up an X1 out of the boneyard, now. In a few years... when the kinectless X1(X2?)is $250 with a game.

It can be tough to make a decision like this when you've staked a huge part of your corporate direction on one of its features (the Kinect). It's not like this was a snap decision. I'm not certain that applause is the right response, but certainly it should be recognized that this was a difficult corporate decision that is in the best interests of the consumer (or rather, results in a benefit for the consumer).

I think it's that the latter. MS is only making changes that happen to benefit the consumer because they expect to reap rewards in the future, and rightfully so.

Since the day it was announced, MS has done nothing that makes me believe they have the consumers best interests in mind. They are only concerned with keeping their ship afloat. MS will do whatever they have to, to save face, to salvage their product, and increase their bottom line.

The best part is that it's all documented. For every criticism against the XB1 there is a Youtube video of Don Mattrick or Larry Hryb essentially saying, "Fuck you guys, we know what's best for you." and then a follow up article by Kotaku with their apology and the list of changes handed down by the MS brass.

The biggest takeaway for me is this, none of this benefits people who already own an XB1. The majority of XB1 owners have an internet connection and XBL Gold membership and they get nothing.

So, yeah. Boo MS. You're bad and you should feel bad. :icon_chee

Damn.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — In a move to spur sales of the Xbox One and catch up with rival Sony's PlayStation 4, Microsoft Corp. said Tuesday it will start selling the console without the Kinect sensor, which cuts $100 from the price.

The new price of $399 begins June 9.

Microsoft says it is also allowing entertainment apps like Netflix to be used on both the Xbox One and the older Xbox 360 console without having to pay for an Xbox Live Gold membership, which costs $60 a year.

http://www.sfgate.com/business/tech...ft-unbundles-Kinect-from-Xbox-One-5474256.php

edit: looks like threads were merged

Last edited:

Yup. This is a move to keep them from drowning.

Lol MS was so adamant about their direction and belief in the XB1. And now this lol.

This is basically an admission by Microsoft that Sony's kicking their ass.

Back