WW is becoming hell on earth in terms of depth

I think it's a huge obstacle. It's the single biggest jump in mma and makes for sometimes lopsided matchups. We sometimes end up with a guy on the smaller side of 205, fighting a guy on the bigger side. When this happens at 155 it may be 5-10lbs in difference, but at LHW it may be 10-15lbs of difference, which is essentially an entire class.

As for being shallow... Yea, that's a big issue. Right now if if they added an extra class anywhere near the 200lb mark, we end up with even more depletion. It's frustating as a fan because here we are with a four billion dollar company and they can't find 15 great fighters for 205 and 265, let alone for a third fantasy division. So you're right, in the short term it could be extremely weak.

In my fantasy land they would've dropped LHW to 200 and added 215, and then started recruiting guys for both divisions like crazy, but here we are in the land of Super Fights and irrelevant rankings.
I agree that 20 lbs is too big of a jump, but having all weight classes the same distance apart doesn't make sense really. 10 lbs on a 155 is 13 +lbs on a 205 by percent. Unless fans are ok with non 0s and 5s (and let's face it, many MMA fans can't count that high to begin with) would there be backlash against 155-165-177-189-202-216-231 (7% increments).

I agree that 20 lbs is too big of a jump, but having all weight classes the same distance apart doesn't make sense really. 10 lbs on a 155 is 13 +lbs on a 205 by percent. Unless fans are ok with non 0s and 5s (and let's face it, many MMA fans can't count that high to begin with) would there be backlash against 155-165-177-189-202-216-231 (7% increments).

The thought of keeping divisional differences in weight as a flat percentage is great. No, really it's a good idea.

However, I approach the subject from the standpoint of what we already have as being close to set in stone. Adding or changing a division or two is one thing, but upending pretty much all the divisions would probably upset a lot of fighters and yes, confuse of a lot of Sherdoggers. I think the best opportunity the UFC had to make a change was when the 205lb title was vacant. Imagine telling a champion (like say the Welterweight champ) that he either needs to adapt to weighing in at five pounds lighter, or seven pounds heavier. Then telling that to all the other guys in the Top 15 of the division. Then repeating that process several more times for each division. It would be a huge clusterfuck.

And to think, we're hear because of Tito fucking Ortiz.

QDFVg9H.jpg

Prime Matt Hughes. Prime Matt Serra. Prime BJ Penn. Prime Thiago Alves. Prime Josh Koscheck. Prime Jon Fitch. Prime Jake Shields. Prime Carlos Condit. Prime Nick Diaz. Prime Johny Hendricks.

Whatever helps you sleep at night I guess.
You combined 2 generations

Just to name a few fighters:

Kamaru Usman
Tyron Woodley
Darren Till
Anthony Pettis
Stephen Thompson
Demian Maia
Jorge Masvidal
Rafael Dos Anjos
Colby Covington
Ben Askren
Robbie Lawler
Santiago Ponz
Kevin Lee

How is that even fair?

Welterweight is the worst it has been in a long time... half the top fighters are nearing retirement, you have guys moving up from 155 because they feel they have a better shot at such a "past prime" division

When you have a guy like till getting a title shot after a snoozer decision win over a guy that is not only 1-3-1 in his last fight but also just got knocked out by a guy fighting at 145 a couple of fights ago you know how weak a division is.

Welterweight used to be the gold standard of weight classes. Now? Not even close

Abdul+Razak+Alhassan+UFC+220+Miocic+v+Ngannou+XW7lxIEibmYl.jpg

Alhassan is comin, give this guy a damn fight!

WW has always been a deep weight class

And I LOVE it!!! It'd be even better if we got Lima and Rory in there somehow.

Gsp ruled over one dimensional ww n natural lw

Is normal
Lol, half that list is 1 dimensional WWs and natural LWs. This list isn't really all that much better than the one GSP was ruling over, he was just so dominant he made the division seem weak just like Anderson did with MW and Jones has done with LHW.

Remove those guys and the belt becomes a hot potato and the division looks extremely competitive because any one can beat any one in any given night for the belt instead of title fights being all but a seemingly foregone conclusion.

Kamaru Usman
Tyron Woodley
Darren Till
Anthony Pettis
Stephen Thompson
Demian Maia
Jorge Masvidal
Rafael Dos Anjos
Colby Covington
Ben Askren
Robbie Lawler
Santiago Ponz
Kevin Lee

How is that even fair?
not really Usman beats them all

Huh?

So hell is a bunch of old guys approaching the end of their careers? Or reject light weights? Or a combination of the two?

The WW div is as weak and boring as it has been in many years.

Jorge Masvidal and Anthony Pettis are at the top of the division LMAO. The division has been besmirched by old undersized fighters.
{<jordan}

Kamaru Usman
Tyron Woodley
Darren Till
Anthony Pettis
Stephen Thompson
Demian Maia
Jorge Masvidal
Rafael Dos Anjos
Colby Covington
Ben Askren
Robbie Lawler
Santiago Ponz
Kevin Lee

How is that even fair?
WW is so deep that LW washouts can move up and jump right into the top 5 by knocking out bigger opponents.
<Oku02>

I think you're forgetting someone TS.

ImperfectWiltedChevrotain-size_restricted.gif

Kamaru Usman
Tyron Woodley
Darren Till
Anthony Pettis
Stephen Thompson
Demian Maia
Jorge Masvidal
Rafael Dos Anjos
Colby Covington
Ben Askren
Robbie Lawler
Santiago Ponz
Kevin Lee

How is that even fair?

How is it not fair?

Welterweight has always been stacked like this

Go back and look at the old rankings when GSP was king

lmfao deluded

Stop with the April fools jokes

Serra? koscheck? Hughes? Hardy?

Usman would walk through them all. So would woodley. Till would of knock them all out. Stop being silly.

If anyone has shown any hints of delusions on this site...It's you sweetheart.

<CerseiPlotting>

WW is better than ever, way more stacked than the division that gsp ruled
Thank you for saying this. I have been looking closely at GSP record, and I salute him for fighting and beating whoever was in front of him. That is the best anyone can do.

However, when you just look at the numbers and put all the emotions and personal attachments aside, a lot of "GOAT" careers start to look fishy.

GSP earned his first title shot after 2 fights in the UFC. He earned his second after 5 fights. Plus, he fought Hughes, Penn, Koscheck and Serra at least twice. That is at least 8 fights with the same guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back