Wtf did people do at Work to entertain themselves before cellphones and computers ???

It depends on the decade. In the 50s, they drank at work. I think though, that in decades before computers, people with office jobs didn’t have bosses that sat on them all day and constantly micromanaged them. So if they finished their work early, they could leave the office and go home, or take a long lunch and meet some friends, or any number of things that didn’t involve them just sitting in their offices.

I remember going to the office with my dad when I was a kid, which was the 80s and early 90s. While they did have computers then, he just stopped by the office to pick up some stuff, then left with me for the day to do whatever it was we were doing (most likely going to an A’s game).

Now, because everything is about cutting costs to maximize revenue, instead of out competing your competition, it makes sense that every manager be accountable for their employees’ whereabouts every second of every day.

Yep. They definitely try to get every bit of productivity out of people nowadays. Though, I am not really sure what that has to do with entertaining oneself before computers?

Do you mean people had more time to do things outside of work during work hours?

There are rumors people used to speak with one another face to face. I know, it was fucking nuts. There is also an ancient apparatus they had called a "radio".

Last edited:
Smoke constantly, bullshit with eachother, get drunk, sexually harass the females, go home, beat on the wife a bit, fuck the wife a bit, go to bed. Ahh, the good ole days.

I think they may have "worked" while at work. I know its a strange concept to the young people of today.
Well statistically, workers are far more productive than in past decades but that could possibly have more to do with technological advancements

Man it's getting harder to fuck around at work...and I work from home. Yesterday our system was down so we couldn't take calls/chats. We were told to do some other b.s. stuff and "read up on our materials". I opened up a page and proceeded to play on my phone. Three hours later I get a message from my boss asking me "how long does it take you to read one article". Luckily for me, he put some smiling emojis and told me to enjoy the down time...not sure if he meant because of the system error or if he meant I was fired? Either way more sherdog for me.

From what I gathered from my older ex-colleagues, they talked a lot, read newspapers and drank on the job, even though they also had periods of driving long, precarious things near sensitive equipment worth millions.

They also were allowed to leave as soon as the job was done, whilst getting paid in full.

Seemed like a better time, honestly.

Back when I first started working at 16, I use to talk to coworkers a lot more. That and play with a rubix cube.

Lol @ working in an office

Get a better job; either one where you enjoy it, or you're too busy actually working to get bored.

Back