Wtf did people do at Work to entertain themselves before cellphones and computers ???

SugarKrok

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Even in the movie "Office Space" you could kill time by playing solitaire. For me personally, I grew up an only child, which means I had to entertainment myself reasonably often. One game I really like was fighting myself. Or pretending I was having a gun fight.

People used to talk at work. Now they text while standing near each other.

It depends on the decade. In the 50s, they drank at work. I think though, that in decades before computers, people with office jobs didn’t have bosses that sat on them all day and constantly micromanaged them. So if they finished their work early, they could leave the office and go home, or take a long lunch and meet some friends, or any number of things that didn’t involve them just sitting in their offices.

I remember going to the office with my dad when I was a kid, which was the 80s and early 90s. While they did have computers then, he just stopped by the office to pick up some stuff, then left with me for the day to do whatever it was we were doing (most likely going to an A’s game).

Now, because everything is about cutting costs to maximize revenue, instead of out competing your competition, it makes sense that every manager be accountable for their employees’ whereabouts every second of every day.

Even in the movie "Office Space" you could kill time by playing solitaire. For me personally, I grew up an only child, which means I had to entertainment myself reasonably often. One game I really like was fighting myself. Or pretending I was having a gun fight.

They drank did drugs and fucked each other .... is fiddling with your phone really better than that.

Talk to each other.

Same thing ppl do in places where phones/computers aren't available now.

Drink alcohol and beat their wives.

WkHHpZ1.jpg

Back