Wtf did people do at Work to entertain themselves before cellphones and computers ???

I used to BMX and listen to Bone Thugs

Sweet. Don't recall that many bringing a BMX to an office back then.

We used to chat and stuff. I worked as a mechanical engineer at a place with a shit ton of red tape. We had computers, but it was in the infancy of the net and no one used it. Because of the all red tape, we had to wait a while for things to get approved. In the meantime, we had nothing to do, so we talked about everything. It was fun. We also bright our portable CD players and listened to music while working. One dude in our group has a drawer filled with like 100 CDs in his desk.

The company I used to work for did analytics on the best ages, genders and cultures to hire. Millenials average only 2.5 hours of actual work a day. Cell phone usage and Internet occupied the rest of the day. There was only one gender and race worse, but this isn't the war room and I don't want to get labeled a racist. Funny thing is they couldn't do anything with the information in their hiring decisions (publicly).

The company I used to work for did analytics on the best ages, genders and cultures to hire. Millenials average only 2.5 hours of actual work a day. Cell phone usage and Internet occupied the rest of the day. There was only one gender and race worse, but this isn't the war room and I don't want to get labeled a racist. Funny thing is they couldn't do anything with the information in their hiring decisions (publicly).

Sounds about right. Where I work they have a system that flags the worst offenders for using IT systems for non work related stuff during works time.

I'm on here a lot during works time and I've never come up on it, so fuck knows how much time the people who are getting flagged are on for.

It depends on the decade. In the 50s, they drank at work. I think though, that in decades before computers, people with office jobs didn’t have bosses that sat on them all day and constantly micromanaged them. So if they finished their work early, they could leave the office and go home, or take a long lunch and meet some friends, or any number of things that didn’t involve them just sitting in their offices.

I remember going to the office with my dad when I was a kid, which was the 80s and early 90s. While they did have computers then, he just stopped by the office to pick up some stuff, then left with me for the day to do whatever it was we were doing (most likely going to an A’s game).

Now, because everything is about cutting costs to maximize revenue, instead of out competing your competition, it makes sense that every manager be accountable for their employees’ whereabouts every second of every day.
It’s nuts. When I worked for a tech company, our hourly employees had one time clock and it was registered by fingerprint. And if you were one minute late, that's it you're late. So people would line up early and get all irritated when someone was slow.

They did their jobs?
Yeah but some jobs there's nothing to do. I had an office job where I started at 8:30 and my boss needed her reports by 10:30. So from 10:30 to 4:30 I was just trying to find stuff to do.

Back