Wrestling vs Jiu Jitsu

jludley said:
I start jiu jitsu lessons tommorow Ive done jiu jitsu in the past. I was originally a wrestler though Ive wrestled for about 11 yrs now my teacher is trying to tell me that wrestling is no match for jiu jitsu. I disagree with that because wrestling is a lot about control and jiu jitsu is more offensive than wrestling but at the same time I feel wrestling would do very well against jiu jitsu. Whats your opinion?

In the age of style vs style jiu jitsu would win because they knew how to use submissions. Wrestlers would get takedowns and then get subbed out. However, taking a background in wrestling and adding jiujitsu on top of it will give you a complete ground game. Wrestling has far superior takedowns and will have taught you how to control an opponent on the ground. Jiu jitsu will teach you guard, which is very useful in minimizing strikes against you from a top opponent, as well as other submissions. Jiu jitsu and wrestling really work well together in making your ground, takedown and clinch throws well rounded.

FiveByFive said:
Some of these things can be thought of by anyone, wrestler or not.

But it takes a wrestler to best utilize the techniques I mentioned.

I see a lot of people talking about great champions who are wrestlers, and the real question is not what style they are, but what won the match.

Did any of them win with a wrestling move? If so, how many?

How many of them won with submissions learned from studying ju-jitsu.

I bet you'd find the results interesting. Wrestling is great for what it is... but with out knowledge outside of what is taught in standard wrestling, it's not going to get you very far.

Back