Wrestling vs Jiu Jitsu

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by jludley, Dec 7, 2005.

1. jludley

jludley Purple Belt

I start jiu jitsu lessons tommorow Ive done jiu jitsu in the past. I was originally a wrestler though Ive wrestled for about 11 yrs now my teacher is trying to tell me that wrestling is no match for jiu jitsu. I disagree with that because wrestling is a lot about control and jiu jitsu is more offensive than wrestling but at the same time I feel wrestling would do very well against jiu jitsu. Whats your opinion?

2. Commissar

Commissar Gold Belt

Depends the rules, obviously. If submissions are allowed, I'd give the edge to jiu jitsu. If pins are allowed, obviously wrestling has the edge.

Streetfighting, I would be tempted to give the edge to jiu jitsu because of the submissions.

3. Kolchak

Kolchak Red Belt

Wrestling is great for getting and controlling position, but beyond that it doesn't really equip you for what to actually do after... look at every wrestler basically up until Mark Coleman in MMA.

4. jludley

jludley Purple Belt

Im just talking about in a mma event say ufc or pride rules

5. Magooglie

Magooglie Steel Belt

Wrestlers with sub defense/knowledge present a lot of problems for regular jiu-jitsu guys. Since you've been wrestling a long time and are probably athletic this will be a positive for you once you start getting better at jiu jitsu.

6. Smokeyjay

Smokeyjay Guest

Wrestlers seem to do better in UFC while jui-jutsu guys seem to de better in Pride.

Its really all about the rules.

Wrestlers in UFC have the cage and no knees to the head while on the ground. They also get a lot of American fighters who usually have a strong wrestling background.

Pride-they have that 10 minute round because jui-jutsu guys require a lot of time to work their submissions. Also no cage and knees to the head on the ground. Also they get a lot of guys from Brazil.

Yeah, being a wrestler with sub defense is really good. Boring but good. Throw in some Greco/Judo/Sambo for those upper body throws.

7. jludley

jludley Purple Belt

Yeah jiu jitsu moves used to help me in my wrestling matches

8. sobralfan1

sobralfan1 better than you belt

If you have a wrestling backround then jiu-jitsu will be great for you to learn as well. The combination of the two is just incredible!!! Have fun and you are a great person for serving your country, thank you.

9. ianmar9

ianmar9 Banned Banned

Yeah dude props to you for serving.

10. Kilroy

Kilroy Brown Belt

NO IT ISNT!!!

The USA has alot of great wrestlers that has gone into MMA with a wrestlign background, that has alot to do with it.

The great fighters with a base in wrestling would do just as well in pride...

11. jludley

jludley Purple Belt

thanks man

12. EnemyOfTheState

EnemyOfTheState Banned Banned

Put your hands above your head!... it's a damned m
    No, Jiu-Jitsu rules in the world of MMA, as a ground technique. Couture, Coleman, Randleman, Hughes are all wrestlers and all were submitted many times.

Embrace jiu-jitsu with your arms and legs.

13. jludley

jludley Purple Belt

But they have also beat jiu jitsu guys plenty of times too.

14. Plissken

Plissken Gold Belt

Well you did wrestling solo for a while, so try jiu jitsu solo for a while, then assess the strengths and weaknesses of each relative to how they work for you, and then incorporate these strengths from both fluidly into your game plan. You'll likely need to practice this composite style a lot though before the wrinkles are ironed out.

15. EnemyOfTheState

EnemyOfTheState Banned Banned

Put your hands above your head!... it's a damned m

There is some statistics page on sherdog. BJJ fighters have more wins then any other MA fighters.

Both styles are usefull to know.
    But if I or any other reasonable guy had a choice, he would choose BJJ against wrestling.

16. jludley

jludley Purple Belt

wheres this at I would like to look at this.

17. Armbarista

Armbarista Blue Belt

I think UFC rules work for wrestlers better than BJJ guys. Look at Jiu Jitsu fighter like Goes, Ismail and even Luta Libre fighters who fought in the UFC. They all had difficulty witht he cage and with the take down and when they get pinned on the fence. Guys like Anderson relies on his striking and so does Vitor. Busta did well in the UFC as a middleweight but I really don't know how he took down Lindland. But most of them did do well in a cage or the UFC. Babalu is primarily a wrestler.

Most BJJ guys who fight learn wrestling to survive in the cage.

While BJJ is fine with Pride Rules and also because it has a ring, so there will be no instance of a guy pinning you to the fence.

The best is of course to cross train. BJJ Subs with Wrestling Positioning and Takedowns. Add in Sambo Leglocks and Judo hip Throws and your MMA grappling is set.

18. jludley

jludley Purple Belt

19. golpe_de_efecto

golpe_de_efecto Green Belt

If you make a list of MMA champions you have:

1.- BJ Penn (BJJ)
    2.- Hugues (Wrestling)
    3.- Nogueira (BJJ)
    4.- Bustamante (BJJ)
    5.- Couture (Wrestling)
    6.- Mir (BJJ)
    7.- Coleman (Wrestling)

You could go on and on...there are good fighters with a BJJ background or Wrestling background, and now people learn all, like Hugues who is now one of the best sub artist in the WW division.
    It's hard to say wich is the better style.

20. Armbarista

Armbarista Blue Belt

I think You are set with BJJ and Wrestling. there are some BJJ schools that have No Gi BJJ. Then you can mix No-Gi BJJ with some Wrestling and I think you can really kick ass.

Some of my teamates cross train their Gi BJJ with Judo. They are doing well in tournaments because they already get 2 point with a takedown or throw. I just don't have the money nor the time to pay for the extra judo classes.