Wrestling is NOT boring

or C) if you want to see stand up snoozfest, you could watch wrestling or judo.

Its a snoozefest precisely *because* they are deficient in stand-up, and the reason for that is the major ruleset most of these guys compete under the rest of the year deincentivises stand up, simple.

'Intentionality' based rulesets always turn into a big shitshow of confusion, I'd hesitate to use the word 'logical' in the same sentence. Positional based criteria is more objective and easier to verify (ie, is he in side control or not, took the back or not, on top or not, et cetera).

I agree that getting a -1 for pulling guard is a weird rule; I can only assume the intention was to make pulling guard a 'lesser' sacrifice compared to strait up being taken down. But that's weird to me since as noted above if the end result is the same, its common sense for it to be scored the same.

Many people bring up the issue of people not engaging guards. I'd like to turn that around and point out that the inability to impose your own game is a fundamental flaw inherent to guard pulling as a strategy, and that makes it troublesome to design a ruleset around it that's not complicated or counterintuitive.

Personally I think scoring by riding time is the best, as that upsets the balance that often results in stalemates. The man on top has incentive to make contact and stay in contact, while the man on bottom has incentive to not just lie back and wait for the other guy to make a mistake he can react too. Either way changes the behavior that can open up more possibilities, a top man may not be so quick to disengage to avoid a sweep or sub for fear of letting the other guy escape, whereas the bottom mans selfsame attempts to escape, while pushing the action in of itself, may also open him up to a pass or sub. For action on the feet, scoring forceouts would be a good way to encourage more engagement there. And of course the fact of making getting the takedown/getting on top valuable to begin with would make competitors take TD/TDD training more seriously, resulting in better action as a matter of course.

Last edited:
Back