WRESTLE KINGDOM 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also for whoever doesn't know, the reason Will Ospreay is also carrying a belt is because Will Ospreay was the IWGP World Heavyweight Champion, but got injured so they stripped him and had Shingo vs. Okada for the title, which Shingo won and Shingo has been champion since. Turned out Will wasn't as hurt as they initially thought and was only out for 3 months so he started calling himself the real IWGP World Heavyweight Champion because he never lost. So now they're gonna have Okada vs Will tomorrow to determine the true "real" IWGP World Heavyweight Champion lol

They got extra convoluted with this shit and basically shit on Shingo's run as Champion by having both Okada and Will also carrying around belts.

The cool looking one was the IWGP Heavyweight Championship, they combined it with the IWGP Intercontinental Championship and retired both Championship lineages.

With both combined they started a new lineage as the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship that's represented by the new belt.

Okada was pissed they killed the lineage of the Heavyweight title he carried so many times and he also never gave a fuck about the IC title so he would shit talk the new belt. When Okada won the G1 instead of carrying the briefcase with the contract that you get for winning the G1, Okada brought back the old belt, which pissed off a lot of fans.

Okada choosing to wear the new one is great, because it will actually legitimize it more because it's still a young championship.
Sounds like a good storyline but are there no IC champions now? Sounds like a bad move to take a belt of the card.

Sounds like a good storyline but are there no IC champions now? Sounds like a bad move to take a belt of the card.

IC title is gone completely. They still have the NEVER Openweight, IWGP Junior Heavyweight and IWGP United States titles for their secondary titles though.

The United States Championship is weird though, because they started it 2017 for their US expansion, they eventually started a US promotion which currently has weekly TV shows, but the United States Championship sits in Japan instead of on their US promotion shows lol

Last edited:
So I fell asleep during the Evil match (big surprise) and woke up and read the results.

I may be done with NJPW for awhile, until they can figure their booking out.

I skipped through this show heavily. I haven't watched a new japan show in a year... everything seems the same. And the crowd not being able to do anything is awful. This was really not enjoyable I found.

So I fell asleep during the Evil match (big surprise) and woke up and read the results.

I may be done with NJPW for awhile, until they can figure their booking out.

Yeah, been subbed to them for a few years now and think it's time for a break myself. Will wait til after the NOAH event.

Man, that was a disappointing night 1. I was looking forward to seeing what Sho and Yoh could do on the big stage, but that was their worst match together so far.
Then a bunch of forgettable matches that didn't feel like they should have been on New Japan's biggest show of the year.
I thought LIJ losing to UE would mean Shingo was winning and facing Ospreay, but I guess not. A bit disappointed with that too.
Do I even need to mention the Ishii v Evil match? lol

That being said it wasn't all disappointing. It's great to see Shibata back, amazing moment for Ren Narita, and I loved the last second change to regular wrestling rules.
Not sure about the decision to put the belts on Hashi and Goto, but decent match still.
Fun as hell match between El Desperado and and Hiromu Takahashi. I really hope these covid restrictions are done soon because the Junior HW division really needs guys like Dragon Lee, Chris Bey, and Lio Rush over for some new matchups. Would love to see Hiromu v Orange Cassidy as well if that's possible.

That main event though. I kinda wanna be bummed out that Shingo lost, but damn it was a great match. I loved how in the last two matches the crowd are supposed to be silent but multiple times you hear them audibly gasp and cheer because they're enjoying the matches so much.

wk16_0105_08.jpg

Kickoff Match 1: Yuji Nagata, Tomoaki Honma & Togi Makabe vs BULLET CLUB (Bad Luck Fale, Jado & Gedo)
Kickoff Match 2: Master Wato, Satoshi Kojima & Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Suzuki-Gun (El Desperado, TAKA Michinoku & Yoshinobu Kanemaru)
Kickoff Match 3: Los Ingobernables De Japon (BUSHI, Hiromu Takahashi & Shingo Takagi) vs Suzuki-Gun (DOUKI, Zack Sabre Jr. & Taichi)

IWGP Junior Tag Team Title Match: Robbie Eagles and Tiger Mask vs. Taiji Ishimori and El Phantasmo vs. Ryusuke Taguchi and Rocky Romero (champions)

Stardom Match: Mayu Iwatani and Starlight Kid vs. Tam Nakano and Saya Kamitani

NEVER Openweight Six-Man Tag Team Title Match: Hirooki Goto, YOSHI-HASHI, and YOH vs. EVIL, Yujiro Takahashi, and SHO (champions)

Provisional KOPW 2022: Toru Yano vs. CIMA vs. Minoru Suzuki vs. Chase Owens

Tetsuya Naito vs. Jeff Cobb

SANADA vs. Great-O-Khan

IWGP United States Title Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. KENTA (champion)​

IWGP World Heavyweight Title Match: Will Ospreay vs. Kazuchika Okada​

Shingo's in a kickoff match now.

Main champ to kickoff. WWE shit.

Wish there were more Stardom matches.

Only really looking forward to the Stardom match and the main event tomorrow. Hopefully night 2 is better than night 1

Man, that was a disappointing night 1. I was looking forward to seeing what Sho and Yoh could do on the big stage, but that was their worst match together so far.
Then a bunch of forgettable matches that didn't feel like they should have been on New Japan's biggest show of the year.
I thought LIJ losing to UE would mean Shingo was winning and facing Ospreay, but I guess not. A bit disappointed with that too.
Do I even need to mention the Ishii v Evil match? lol

That being said it wasn't all disappointing. It's great to see Shibata back, amazing moment for Ren Narita, and I loved the last second change to regular wrestling rules.
Not sure about the decision to put the belts on Hashi and Goto, but decent match still.
Fun as hell match between El Desperado and and Hiromu Takahashi. I really hope these covid restrictions are done soon because the Junior HW division really needs guys like Dragon Lee, Chris Bey, and Lio Rush over for some new matchups. Would love to see Hiromu v Orange Cassidy as well if that's possible.

That main event though. I kinda wanna be bummed out that Shingo lost, but damn it was a great match. I loved how in the last two matches the crowd are supposed to be silent but multiple times you hear them audibly gasp and cheer because they're enjoying the matches so much.
Really, they just should not have done two shows this year.

Apparently a lot of New Japan's bullshit lately, especially with House of Torture has been Dick Togo, I've read several times over the last few months that Dick Togo has been getting a lot of power in New Japan and is basically 2nd in charge in the company behind Gedo now and he's supposedly been trying to push the fuck out of House of Torture at booking meetings. Even tried to push for EVIL to get hotshotted the World Championship at the stadium show back in September to "establish House of Torture as a main event force" <Lmaoo>

Been reading Gedo has been having to veto a lot of Dick Togo's shit, but let's him have a lot of shit to keep him happy. Supposedly most of the roster has butted heads with him and apparently Hiromu got into a heated argument with Togo when that dumb ass angle happened at the BOSJ final last month that had SHO come out and beat up both YOH and Hiromu mid match and cut a promo, but Gedo let Dick Togo have that lol

Who the fuck cares about Dick Togo or his wants in 2022?

Nepotism unfortunately. Gedo and Dick Togo have been good friends for decades.

It's like how QT Marshall is high up on the ladder in AEW all because he became buddies with Cody while Cody was in Ring of Honor.

Nepotism unfortunately. Gedo and Dick Togo have been good friends for decades.

It's like how QT Marshall is high up on the ladder in AEW all because he became buddies with Cody while Cody was in Ring of Honor.
At least QT gave us Anna Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back