Wow Submissions 101...

jiujitsuking

White Belt
Reaction score
I just watched their videos after seeing a thread about them and wow is all I have to stay. These instructors look stiff as a board on the mat and even when they are teaching basic techniques like armbars and triangles they leave out very important details. I feel like I just got worse by watching their videos. I have since been watching highlights of marcelo, jacare, xande, roger, and rafeal lovato jr just to flood submissions 101 out of my mind.

Are you referring to those TMA guys who study under Eddie Bravo and wear BJJ gis with their TMA blackbelts? If so, yeah those guys are terrible.. The trailer for their DVD opens with the worst double leg I have ever seen.

I just watched their videos after seeing a thread about them and wow is all I have to stay. These instructors look stiff as a board on the mat and even when they are teaching basic techniques like armbars and triangles they leave out very important details. I feel like I just got worse by watching their videos. I have since been watching highlights of marcelo, jacare, xande, roger, and rafeal lovato jr just to flood submissions 101 out of my mind.

This topic has been done to death. Ari Bolden is a basically an Aikido and JJJ guy with little previous background in BJJ or Judo. He is by most accounts and nice guy and and is now a purple belt under Eddie Bravo in no gi. He has a very successful website.

Ari wears a BJJ gi and a black belt in the videos which leads some people to believe he is a BJJ black belt. He is not and has never claimed to be but some people think its pretty shady.

You mileage may vary on the videos. Some seem good, some suck, depending on whose demonstrating what. If you think the BJJ is bad, watch the throws...although most of them seem to have been taken down for some reason.

ari is very good at making it seem like he is an awesome grappler. I believe the thing that throws most people off is that--if you watch his videos, he makes many details(most of which are either not used, or not needed, or he does not do himself when he rolls) which makes it seem like he knows the moves inside and out. I personally dont watch his videos, i think he is shady.

I will never watch his videos again. I don't mind when black belts try to make money off BJJ, because they have put their time in on the mat and deserve every penny. But when these TMA guys see that they have a chance to cash in off BJJ I just can't respect it...Where was this Ari guy when there was no money in jiu jitsu??? This guy is just looking for a check. And if he wasn't he would put his fucking time in and train hard before he tried to make a profitable website off BJJ.....Im pissed about this guy.

I just wish he wouldn't wear his JJJ bb with his BJJ gi...he knows full well how shady it is to do something like that

I started a thread a while back called "submissions 101: your opinion" that called Ari out. The thread got back to him and he ended up responding to it. The best we got him to do was put a disclaimer up on his website saying that he is not a BJJ BB. Though I talked to him through IM's and told him that he should put the disclaimer in the head of each video as well. He never did. Then Eddie Bravo went and gave him a purple belt in "10th Planet Jiu Jitsu" despite him being in Canada and never training regularly under Eddie.

I don't think he needs to put a disclaimer in his videos. That's unnecessary. A disclaimer is needed on his web site; because, (1) BJJ Gear sponsors him (2) He lists GJJ and BJJ as his first primary styles (3) He wasn't ranked in BJJ until recently. It really shouldn't an issue now that he is a purple under Eddie Bravo. Clarification is still nice for their gi videos whenever they wear their black belts, though. Some of the videos are ok, some are not. Just like anything else, really.

They are creepy. They have this small tight nit forum where Ari is the king. All of these people who are very new to grappling or who have never grappled worship him like he is Rickson.

Its not too shocking that Eddie Bravo gave him a purple so he could run a 10th planet school, collecting his franchise fee's and regular seminar $$.

This has been done to death so I'll just stop here. The more he is talked about the more he thinks he is relevant. I am sure he reads this board.

Ari is a legit purple belt. look at his movement in his new videos. his hips move like a purple belt, and he's clearly taken leaps and bounds in BJJ since he first started putting videos up. I think he's got a good thing going on, though I admit some of the older videos should probably be redone.

as said before this topic has been done to death, and Submissions101 seems to improve more and more every time they put out a new video. I look forward to seeing the new stuff he puts up this year because so far I've been pretty impressed with the 10th planet stuff they've put up.

As Ari's said before if you think you can do better on a particular technique film it(well), send it to him, and he'll put it up.

They are creepy. They have this small tight nit forum where Ari is the king. All of these people who are very new to grappling or who have never grappled worship him like he is Rickson.

Its not too shocking that Eddie Bravo gave him a purple so he could run a 10th planet school, collecting his franchise fee's and regular seminar $$.

This has been done to death so I'll just stop here. The more he is talked about the more he thinks he is relevant. I am sure he reads this board.

That's not true. I'm a member of his forum, and so are several legit Brown Belts and Pro-MMA fighters. There's less idiots there than there is on Sherdog, and that's percentage wise, because obviously they don't have enough members to nearly compete with the number of idiots on sherdog, lol

That's not true. I'm a member of his forum, and so are several legit Brown Belts and Pro-MMA fighters. There's less idiots there than there is on Sherdog, and that's percentage wise, because obviously they don't have enough members to nearly compete with the number of idiots on sherdog, lol

To be fair, you are a member of every bjj forum on the internet so that doesn't count :D

And they don't have several brown belts and mma fighters. I did my homework before deciding to make a decision about them and according to their "introduce yourself" thread they have like 1 brown belt, 1 pro mma fighter and the great majority of people have far less then 1 year training.

They probably do have less idiots then sherdog and I'm sure they don't attack people as much.

They also however do seem to aggressively over moderate anything that questions them in any way or they don't like. That's the creepy part to me.

Ari is a legit purple belt. look at his movement in his new videos. his hips move like a purple belt, and he's clearly taken leaps and bounds in BJJ since he first started putting videos up. I think he's got a good thing going on, though I admit some of the older videos should probably be redone.

as said before this topic has been done to death, and Submissions101 seems to improve more and more every time they put out a new video. I look forward to seeing the new stuff he puts up this year because so far I've been pretty impressed with the 10th planet stuff they've put up.

As Ari's said before if you think you can do better on a particular technique film it(well), send it to him, and he'll put it up.

What does hips that move like a purple belt mean? Not saying he isn't a purple belt but has he rolled with legit purples or others that clearly think he is at that level? Also I thought eddie gives purple "belts" in No-Gi which wouldn't exactly mean you are a purple with a Gi. Sorry just asking questions because I have seen a few of their videos and they weren't all that impressive but I could be wrong

I just want to see him roll against someone not in his camp, or for him to compete. That would make me happy.

I can guarantee that wont happen now that he is ranked under Bravo and running a 10th Planet school.

The people who dislike sub101 guys all dislike them for different reasons. Some of them are justified IMO, some of them aren't.

I don't like them because they refuse to get regular instruction and than put up videos of moves that they don't understand yet and gloss over their mistakes that, they haven't censored, by saying (wrongly usually) that theirs was a variation and not actually a glaring error that would get them swept. They are garage grapplers with a video camera and a lot of bandwidth.

At first I thought they had good intentions, but I've noticed a pathetic pattern of trying to avoid all criticisms and grouping any one with a desenting opinion as "teh BJJ" police" If they

Yeah, Ari seems like a genuinely nice guy, but that doesn't keep some of the stuff he puts out from being crap when it doesn't have to be.

That's done.

I would say 80 percent of their stuff is OKAY. 10 percent of their stuff is really good and 10 percent (maybe less) is absolute garbage.

Ari's been grappling for years. Even if he had no instruction whatsoever, he would simply get better on his own anyway. His vids have gotten better over the years so I know his group is improving. I'm pretty sure he is at least close to purple belt level in submission grappling.

Sub101=better than Expert village grappling vids (sambo steve excluded obviously)

To be fair, you are a member of every bjj forum on the internet so that doesn't count :D

And they don't have several brown belts and mma fighters. I did my homework before deciding to make a decision about them and according to their "introduce yourself" thread they have like 1 brown belt, 1 pro mma fighter and the great majority of people have far less then 1 year training.

They probably do have less idiots then sherdog and I'm sure they don't attack people as much.

They also however do seem to aggressively over moderate anything that questions them in any way or they don't like. That's the creepy part to me.

yeah, well when you live in a gym with no car, and lots of internet you'll be there too, lol :icon_chee

Maybe you're right about MMA fighters; I'm honestly not really sure on that, but I think there are a couple brown belts. Did you include Tim Sledd in your count?

not that it really matters. this is kind of silly.

off the faq page

8) Are you a BJJ blacbelt?

Nope. I am a Japanese Jiu Jitsu black belt.I sometimes wear my JJJ black belt in my videos however. What many people don't realize is that JJJ has grappling as well. I've also learned a lot from many people over the years so our style is really a hybrid one.

which, i would assume the a hybrid being a combo of both jjj and 10th planent: does that mean they use the zombie to set up a nasty wrist lock?

I saw his video and the few videos of him rolling and he is about a mid level blue. That guy does not move like a purple belt....any purple and most of the serious blues at my gym would tap this guy out.

I am not saying that people shouldn't post videos unless they are black belts, what I am saying is that you should at least have a grasp of what you are teaching before you post it...and he is doing more then that he is trying to sell it for profit through his dvds. If you look at aesopian's videos and techniques he doesn't miss big details and has a good grasp of the tech before he teaches it. This guy does not.

So what happens if this guy goes to do seminars and gets tapped? I always thought that if you think you're good enough to do seminars you'd better be able to tap all the students at that gym. Just my thinking.

Back