Wow Submissions 101...

The Armbar, he's not sliding his knee far up enough (should be almost touching the head)

4 strip blue here since 04'....should be purple this year....been blue for life...

Yes I guess your right I'm being a little critical.

[details cutted...]

Thanks for your reply.

It's just that I focused on big mistakes (like in the vids I linked), but I understand your point and in a way agree.

I have one favor to ask; if you go to Submissions101.com, please realize you are helping them grow. Even if you go there to find videos to use against them. But, most importantly, if you do visit their website DO NOT click on their sponsors. Every click means $ in Ari's pockets. So, unless you want to support these guys, don't click the sponsors on Sub 101.

Question:

Did he just skip the blue belt stage and got his purple?

Can anyone clarify this? That sounds shady.

But, most importantly, if you do visit their website DO NOT click on their sponsors. Every click means $ in Ari's pockets. So, unless you want to support these guys, don't click the sponsors on Sub 101.

And this is different from any other website how?

Yovan; yes, he skipped white and blue. Pretty good, eh?

JRT6; Because most other websites deserve to get paid for there ads. Sub101 doesn't. Pretty simple really.

Anybody you hear going to bat for Ari are 1) His students 2) A friend and owner of BJJ tshirt company that has been using his videos for exposure since almost day or 3) tons of YouTube trained backyard grapplers who ride his jock because his videos are free, with fancy moves.

Its pretty easy to see that Eddie Bravo affiliated him for the $ and the huge exposure sub101 has already. Its also easy to see why Ari opted to go 10th planet. It is much easier to act like an expert in No Gi in a system more people are not refined at yet, this because everyone found him out his fraud with his JJJ black belt and BJJ gi.

It was all fine and good until Ari decided to try to cash in on BJJ, he is a BJJ whitebelt, and a questionable 10th planet purple shirt, but he is peddling a DVD instructional. He advertises he is booking SEMINARS (wtf!) world wide. Are you kidding me? A guy with no credentials, competition history, or lineage.

If you respect this guy because he can monkey see - monkey do off an Eddie Bravo DVD, and regurgitate it onto youtube for free, even though he has a weak understanding of what he really is doing, I feel bad for the future of BJJ.

There is always talk about the watering down of BJJ, and this is a perfect example of how it starts.

Anybody you hear going to bat for Ari are 1) His students 2) A friend and owner of BJJ tshirt company that has been using his videos for exposure since almost day or 3) tons of YouTube trained backyard grapplers who ride his jock because his videos are free, with fancy moves.

Its pretty easy to see that Eddie Bravo affiliated him for the $ and the huge exposure sub101 has already. Its also easy to see why Ari opted to go 10th planet. It is much easier to act like an expert in No Gi in a system more people are not refined at yet, this because everyone found him out his fraud with his JJJ black belt and BJJ gi.

It was all fine and good until Ari decided to try to cash in on BJJ, he is a BJJ whitebelt, and a questionable 10th planet purple shirt, but he is peddling a DVD instructional. He advertises he is booking SEMINARS (wtf!) world wide. Are you kidding me? A guy with no credentials, competition history, or lineage.

If you respect this guy because he can monkey see - monkey do off an Eddie Bravo DVD, and regurgitate it onto youtube for free, even though he has a weak understanding of what he really is doing, I feel bad for the future of BJJ.

There is always talk about the watering down of BJJ, and this is a perfect example of how it starts.

He has lineage...it just happens to be in a worthless form of aikido and he even lied about that.

Honestly, as a new grappler, the you tube vids have helped a lot. Ari is very good at explaining and having a camera presence. The fact the he isn't that great in the first place isn't much of a concern to me.

The stuff isn't terrible, and I'm sure that a lot of the fundamentals aren't perfect. Honestly even to the very untrained eye some of the stuff looks ludicrous. I take what I can use and discard the rest.

Sorry for pedestrians like me this stuff is decent. It's better then trying to understand the seminar videos in pourteuguese shot by a guy with ADD and the shakes.

The sad reality is that just because you're good at something, doesn't mean you're a good teacher.

On the flip side feel free to clue me in on some more user friendly stuff that is better.

Honestly, as a new grappler, the you tube vids have helped a lot. QUOTE]

As a new grappler wouldn't rather learn things the right way first, instead of the fu@ked up submissions 101 way, getting your a$$ kicked then re-learning from a real instructor.

Honestly, as a new grappler, the you tube vids have helped a lot. Ari is very good at explaining and having a camera presence. The fact the he isn't that great in the first place isn't much of a concern to me.

It's not that "he isn't great". It's the fact that several of the techniques are being taught with glaring mistakes that not only makes them ineffective, but also opens the student up for easy counters / reversals / etc.

Just because he has a good on-camera delivery and offers the videos for free, it doesn't excuse the fact that a lot of his techniques are obviously flawed (just look at the number of examples pointed out earlier in this thread). Just because he makes it easy to understand doesn't mean that it's something you want to learn in the first place.

There's a big difference between someone showing a technique without some details and someone showing a technique with incorrect details.

Well said.

You know the funny thing is that after reading all the UG posts I can say for a fact two of the people on there are misrepresenting themselves while calling out Ari. I know it because I personally know them. So while there may be some truth to the acusations it is muddled by the lies of the people who zealously attack on the other side while commiting the exact same sins. So in the end the real truth may never be known and that's not Ari's fault.

You don't have to out them, but how are they misrepresenting themselves?

Multiple screen names (on the same thread) and misrepping their belt ranking.

That's too bad, as this is a case where there is no need to over-inflate oneself in order to cast doubt.

You know the funny thing is that after reading all the UG posts I can say for a fact two of the people on there are misrepresenting themselves while calling out Ari. I know it because I personally know them. So while there may be some truth to the acusations it is muddled by the lies of the people who zealously attack on the other side while commiting the exact same sins. So in the end the real truth may never be known and that's not Ari's fault.

What does that last sentence mean? What truth may never be known? If you are talking about the truth about Ari never being known, how is that not Ari's fault? He's been given ample opportunity to let the "truth" be known. The "truth" is Ari is a jack-of-all-trades, master of non type guy. He purports to have knowledge and a skillset he clearly doesn't have. He teaches things he never even studied and willingly fools people into thinking he is something he is not.

Your post, though it may be an interesting side note to the threads focus (if true, of course), has nothing to do with Ari. No one said Ari is alone in this world. In fact, Ari is just one of many. I see them everywhere. Ari just so happens to be the highest profile fraud, that's why he garners so much attention. I know of many others just like him. But, they are on a small scale, local level. Ari has thrust his BS onto the world's stage. His BS is far more offensive because of the sheer amount of people his BS involves. These other guys are a dime a dozen.

Honestly, as a new grappler, the you tube vids have helped a lot. QUOTE]

As a new grappler wouldn't rather learn things the right way first, instead of the fu@ked up submissions 101 way, getting your a$$ kicked then re-learning from a real instructor.

Honestly I've found most of the stuff is close enough to what we do. I mean there is obvious stuff in some of the videos either

A. There is no way I could do it for either skill or flexibility reasons

B. It's clearly wrong or over my head

I watch any video with a degree of caution, because it definetly seems that in grappling the techniques are somewhat variable to the student and their style/body type. Besides that it seems 75% of the game is timing as much as technique. I mean any offensive technique seems to have a counter or sweep, it seems silly to pick on some of the things shown.

I mean honestly, how much can you actually learn from a video? The majority of our learning at my school is during rolling. So anything you see on a video you can try and if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

Besides, everyone gets their ass kicked in practice, especially the new guys.

For all the youtube fans--knowing that Saulo, Maia, Drysdale, Lister, and Bravo himself have tons of instructional videos that are available on youtube, why do you choose to study and support a man who is obviously not what he says, and is without a doubt not even in the same planet as the others?

Is it stupidity? Laziness? Ignorance?

It's not just Sub101 who is at fault and is being called out here, it is you, the viewer. Simply because you've gotten used to watching their videos, or even developed a positive connection with them, you are now unwilling to admit to yourself that both you and they were wrong.

You're like the man with a whore for a wife. Maybe you don't know you're a sucker, but how could you not? The only thing more shameful than having to admit you're wrong is continuing to be an ass.

A year ago, I thought Bolden was a BJJ Black belt. After all, who else wears a red Koral gi? The turning point for me was the "BOLT" lock, as the self-given name to a well-known technique (with no amusing reason, like a Swick-o-tine) leads me to believe Bolden has no formal BJJ instruction and thought he'd developed something new.

I 'm talking about how we can know what is the truth when some of the accusers are liars? What they decided to show integrity in this one instance? What part of the so-called evidence is true and what parts are fabiricated by people who have to make up alternate screen names to present their truth?

Armbarking you are not exactly an unbiased detractor if of Sub101. You went on his forum to call Ari out and well, to be nice, I hope it wasn't your best work.

Back