Wow, Lloyd Irvin students accused of brutal rape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't understand what the argument is here.

"Innocent until proven guilty" SHOULD be a very important part of our judicial system, so by it's literal definition, I agree with those posters. Reminding people to keep a level head shouldn't be taken as a claim of innocence.

That being said... as soon as they ARE proven guilty (which seems pretty cut and dried based on the evidence, if the report is accurate), then fuck 'em. Hope they endure the same thing they put that girl thru.

Yes, but is this a court?

I mean, I'm an attorney. I'm all about innocent until proven guilty. I work with it constantly in my job.

There is a place for it and spouting it at civilians that are not a court and not in a position to legally judge anyone is silly.

Check out the videos LI just posted on his youtube page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/lloydirvin

I'm no PR expert, but this probably isn't the best decision imo.

Jesus Christ..... I just lost all respect for that guy.

You could take every rape prevention seminar available.... that isn't going to help you against a male competition bjj practitioner like maldonado or even schultz.

I wonder where their "jiu jitsu fighter house" is..... If I found out I'm burning it down.

Yes, this is a compelling response to my point.

Not only are you an idiot, but you're also an asshole.

Sherdog is not a damn court. We can't convict these guys. In essence, nothing we say matters in the grand scheme of things.

So I can say whatever I want, right?

This is pretty spot on.

And, as a woman who trains regularly the thing that I find most distressing is that they all knew each other from training. That these two men abused the trust of someone that they trained with is just so incredibly disturbing.

Furthermore, while I trust my coach and (most of) the people that I train with, it's sh!t like this that that keeps me wary. As a woman it's frustrating to walk around with so little trust in the people that I meet and interact with on a day to day basis because most people aren't like this and most men aren't rapists.

But it never fails that when someone is accused or convicted of rape that their friends and acquaintances come to the forefront "He's such a nice guy/quiet guy/friendly guy/normal guy." So how do I tell who actually is a nice/normal/friendly guy and who is a potential rapist masquerading as a nice/normal/friendly guy?

Not that it's of any condolence but very often once it settles in many of these same people coming to the rescue of their friends will sit down and realize that some things were off. A lot of it is a defense mechanism.

BTW, if you have those type of concerns, or even if you don't, every person in modern society should read this book. It deals with warning signs, trusting your instincts, how to handle stalkers, violence in the workplace, domestic violence, attacks against public figures...it run the entire gamut. Fantastic book.

original.jpg

Sherdog is not a damn court. We can't convict these guys. In essence, nothing we say matters in the grand scheme of things.

Yes, that completely logically follows.

:rolleyes:

The best answer I have for you is to always be on guard and be around multiple people that you trust.

The victim WAS around multiple people that she trusted. They were her teammates. She trusted them and they chose to rape her.

Man, that is crazy. I have seen Matthew compete against many of our guys. I knew him when he trained at Gracie Barra and he used to train with one of my friends there. My jaw literally dropped when I read the article. So sad and shocking.

Fucked I hope he does a bird and pays the price ****.

BTW, if you have those type of concerns, or even if you don't, every person in modern society should read this book. It deals with warning signs, trusting your instincts, how to handle stalkers, violence in the workplace, domestic violence, attacks against public figures...it run the entire gamut. Fantastic book.
Ha. My housemate is reading that book and she's going to let me borrow it when she's done. She says it's great.

There is a place for it and spouting it at civilians that are not a court and not in a position to legally judge anyone is silly.
And, there's something to be said for the power of good, old fashioned, vituperative public shunning; clearly the threat of prosecution and imprisonment isn't enough of a deterrent to stop this from happening so regularly. especially in a case such as this where there is video (and audio) of the purported crime.

Sure, as long as it doesn't violate the forum rules. Nobody is physically stopping you from doing that.

Likewise, people are also free to point out why things you say don't make sense or don't apply.

While I am aware this sort of sickening crime can happen anywhere anytime and anyone could commit a crime like this, martial arts in general in my experience do attract some fucking wierd people in higher numbers than in any other sport I've played or place I have been.

And you have. We heard you, we just disagree.

Let me ask you honestly...do you think OJ did it? What about Michael Jackson? Amanda Knox? Joran Van der Sloot? Casey Anthony? Do you think that an acquittal is synonymous with innocence? Because I can tell you for a fact that it isn't.

Bottom line is this looks really bad for your friend. Bad enough that he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to public opinion. Sorry, but them's the breaks.

I just have a hard time wrapping my head around it that your friend is accused of a brutal rape, and your big concern is people saying mean things about him on the internet.

The victim WAS around multiple people that she trusted. They were her teammates. She trusted them and they chose to rape her.

Well put. That is the essence of what makes this story so horrifying.

How many rapists do you think give off an obvious, "I'm a rapist" vibe? Because I doubt it's a majority, especially when there is a large element of "victim trusted rapist" in many cases.

Exactly. I've unfortunately spent a lot of time around men whom later were exposed as sexual predators. I liked and respected all of them, and never had the slightest inkling that something was amiss. I am actually personally grateful to two of them for mentoring me, and benefited a lot from knowing them. That doesn't stop me from hating them for what they did to their victims.

Wow.. speechless, but innocent until proven guilty..... Let the facts come out first.

Let the facts come out? They raped the girl on camera multiple times and left her unconscious in a parking deck. Fuck these guys, I hope they get a swift meeting with the fast end of a car. The world has no place for pieces of shit like this.

BTW if this becomes about Lloyd Irvin my head just might explode!

IMO he holds some responsibility in the fact that he brought these guys to this place, put them in his fighter house and put them in a position if powermand trust over his students.

Youmreally don't think some of it is his responsibility?

Now I understand 100% that if he had thought for a moment that these guys would do something like this tomone of his students or anyone for that matter he wouldn't have sponsored them, but again, he did sponsor them.

Let me ask you honestly...do you think OJ did it? What about Michael Jackson? Amanda Knox? Joran Van der Sloot? Casey Anthony? Do you think that an acquittal is synonymous with innocence? Because I can tell you for a fact that it isn't.

HEY HEY, now. Pump the breaks kid.

OJ was framed!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back