Would you opposed to Conor fighting for 155 title if he fights beats Gaethje next?

I'd say the winner of Conor/Gaethje fighting the winner of Khabib/Tony is fair.

But Conor shouldn't leapfrog Gaethje without fighting him.
Nor should they fight at 170lbs.

I'd be fine with Conor getting a title shot with a win over Gaethje. But it has to happen at 155lbs. If he can't make weight, then stay at WW and stop calling out smaller fighters if you're too big to cut down to 155lbs anymore.

If he fought and beat Justin at 155 then yes, he’d be right in the mix for a shot against Tony/Khabib winner. Who else is right there? FKL? Anyone else?

Poirier. Who might welcome a rematch.

If he beats Gaethje, then he deserves to fight the winner of Khabib-Ferguson.
His coach wants the fight with Gaethje at 170 though. Fight and beat Gaethje at 155, then I have no problem watching Khabib smoke him again.

Sure as long as he fights Gaethje at 155 not at 170 I'm getting the feeling that Conor don't really feels strong at 155 wants to have all his fights at 170 and have them count for 155 and the benefits that come with a win at lw rank, belt, etc...

He has unfinished business with Faber

He could fight Faber or frankie next at 185!

Nor should they fight at 170lbs.

I'd be fine with Conor getting a title shot with a win over Gaethje. But it has to happen at 155lbs. If he can't make weight, then stay at WW and stop calling out smaller fighters if you're too big to cut down to 155lbs anymore.
Of course ha can make 155, he used to make 45. 170 is a bigger advantage for Justin if anything. When 2 guys are about the same size it makes sense for both to agree no to cut weigh as its healthier for both fighters.

Its the matchup to make and has significant title implications. Seeing Conor come back to beat Cerrone does nothing for me other than to prove that Conor is still relevant. Especially considering the fact that Cerrone lost his last two fights by ko before the conor fight.

The fighters he lost to are the fighters that fans are asking to see Conor matched up against, but instead we got to see Conor fight the loser of both fights. If the plan was to have a tune up fight, then sure it makes sense, but using it as a way to fight for title is embarassing. I hear Kavanagh talking about how he wants Conor to fight Gaethje next, and was wondering how you guys would feel about Conor beating Gaethje next and proceeding to fight for the title.

I'm all in personally. Dont like the cherry picking, especially considering the crazy fact that Conor will probably be favorite against both Tony or Gaethje, and still he chooses to take easier fights or only fight for title. What happened to backing up all the talk? If he fights Masvidal or Usman at 170, he most likely loses so no point about talking 155 title shot afterwards but if he chooses to fight Gaethje, that would deserve some respect and open up a possible title shot that even Khabib couldn't argue with
If McGregor defeated Gaethje at LIGHTWEIGHT, then I would have absolutely zero complaints over him getting the next title shot after Ferguson.

While it may look that way now, I still believe that Conor needed a tune-up fight if he's really getting back to his former self. If what he said is true (emphasis on activity) then what the heck, he should be back in April. Khabib has a fight against Tony scheduled anyway and after that he'll be away until Sept/Oct due to Ramadan if I'm correct so everything's good.

A tune up fight then title shot for a guy with zero defenses, was stripped for inactivity and was absolutely wrecked in his last fight? He should have to earn that title fight and Gaethje is the only “one fight ticket” to a justifiable title shot, imo.

If he beats Justin, sure. But I'd rather see him fight Islam instead, it would make things more interesting and personal if Conman wins (I would pick Islam to win though).

Poirier. Who might welcome a rematch.
I’m saying who else is in the mix for a title shot. Dustin isn’t right now as he has work to do himself to get back there.
So I’m just saying I wouldn’t be opposed to Conor being considered for a title shot if he fought and beat Justin at 155.

A tune up fight then title shot for a guy with zero defenses, was stripped for inactivity and was absolutely wrecked in his last fight? He should have to earn that title fight and Gaethje is the only “one fight ticket” to a justifiable title shot, imo.
Most definitely and that's exactly that I have implied. Based on what we've heard from Conor and his coaches, absolutely nothing suggests that he intends to skip the line right into the rematch against Khabib. He might fight twice before that possibility is even considered and I agree with you - at least one of his fights (wins) would have to be at 155. Justin seems like a reasonable choice.

If Fergerson gets a shot inbetween then I wouldn't have a massive problem with it.

If its good for business its good for business. The UFC should promote fights that make them profitable. Period.

The proper thing to do would be having a LW #1 contender bout at LW. Less proper is to have it at 170. But far less proper than that is to just give Conor a title shot.

But we didn’t need more evidence to conclude that the standard rules don’t apply to this guy. So fuck it.

TLDR: at this point, I'd accept beating Gaethje at 170, since it's a whole lot better than the alternative of just giving him a title shot.

Last edited:
As a Conor hater,
No i definitely wouldn't be opposed to it.
That would be legit by Conor.

Has to be at 155 though

No. That's actually reasonable although one more win (against poirer or ferguson) would cement his claim

I tend to agree with the posts that indicate that the fight has to be at 155. I do think that because of Conor's absence and lack of fights at 155 in the UFC, in order for him to get a title shot he should have to go through Gaethje OR Poirier AND then fight the loser of Tony and Khabib..that would totally legitimize his Title contention.

Of course I wouldn’t oppose.

That’s the fight he should have gunned for to begin with if he wanted a title shot. Instead, he handpicked the guy Gaethje KO’d just before.

About a 0% chance he fights Gaethje.
0% chance he beats Aldo, 0% chance he beats Alvarez, 0% chance he fight Floyd, 0% chance he fights Khabib, 0% chance he returns to UFC....

Back