Would you give Anderson more of a chance against Jones after last night?

Gus and Silva are two completely different fighter in every aspect of MMA, this fight doesnt indicate at all how Jones/Silva would go.

Always believed that Silva could outstrike Jones but I think it all comes down to takedown defense, so my answer is no. Gus' Height/reach is being overrated, his insanely good TDD combined with his striking abilities is what made that fight competitive.

Jones taking anybody down early on is still a very scary thought, those GnP elbows are still one of the nastiest weapons in all of mma.
Gus better keep it standing again in the rematch or the fight won't be this close.
true

Anderson has no where near the TDD that Gus does. He gets taken down at TKO'd.

This, Anderson couldn't stop Sonnen, Weidman or even Travis Lutter. What makes you think he would stop Jones. Alexander is much more bigger and stronger than Silva, that was the difference. In my opinion if Alex comes better prepared for the championship rounds he can win.
The Hellbow of the 4th ended his chances, that elbow would have put out 99% of UFC fighters inmediatly.

Nope.

Silva is bad against wrestlers...
He would have been taken down and elbowed to death.

I think if Silva could slightly emulate the success of Gustaffson, he could use the stand up opportunity to finish the fight.

Silva has almost 0 chance against Jones. Gus is absolutely massive compared to Silva, there is no comparison. The strength difference is huge. Jones, would pick Silva apart. And if he got the takedown, lord have mercy on Silva.

You guys need to forget about the superfights... The lower division guys will not beat the bigger fighters, with the exemption of maybe 155 and below.

Not sure why people think Jones would destroy Silva in 1 or 2 rounds tho. Even if he can take him down repeatedly, Silva has a good game from the bottom and he is very durable.
Vitor Belfort survived for almost 4 rounds in a one-sided beatdown ffs....

Im not sure about what round, but I don't see Anderson hanging with Jones. Jones power is underrated (which makes me that much more impressed with Alex)...

I think you might be over estimating Silva's bottom game. Weidman wrecked him on the bottom. He did ok against Sonnen because Sonnen has weak GnP. Jones is nasty on the ground.

I also think Jones outstrikes Silva. Silva above all is a counter puncher. He has no way of counterpunching Jones. Jones can just pick him apart from the outside. Keep in mind Anderson is also used to having superior reach.

No. Anderson's TDD isn't as good as Gus'. Jones would take him down and TKO him.

I like anderson but he would get rock bottomed followed by vicious elbows enroute to a tko loss.

Jones showed holes in his striking big time, and Anderson is 10x the boxer that Alex is, but Alex is stilll alot bigger than Anderson. If Anderson went up to 205 permanently, i think he could take out Jones.

I actually thought about this last night but I had already made one thread and didn't want to make two in a row.

I actually think last night showed that stylistically, Anderson has a great chance of beating Jones. He loves to stay on the outside and use his range (and use that to help with his take down defense)

and that's exactly what Gus did.

The only major difference is that when Anderson clinches, he tends to stay clinched and if he gets taken down, he simply works off his back.

Gus, on the other hand, when he clinched got the heck out of there and when he was taken down, he scrambled to get back up

Anderson stuffed chael round 2 second fight pretty easy though

No I believe that Jones smashes Andy. Gus would too.

Gus is a fucking savage. He impressed the shit out of me with his timing and boxing. He's got a great chin and good conditioning to boot. I would love to see a rematch and see how Jones/Jackson adapt to the first fight.

No. Granted, Jones isn't easy to finish and Gus threw everything but the kitchen sink at him. The way Jones avoids being finish, fights on the outside, and goes for takedowns, would make Silva into an invalid.

Jones's interviews indicated that he didn't take Gus very seriously. Who can blame him?

Make no mistake, Jones and the hole Jackson camp had known for a long time that Gustafsson was their biggest threat in the division. They are not stupid, you know..

No. Granted, Jones isn't easy to finish and Gus threw everything but the kitchen sink at him. The way Jones avoids being finish, fights on the outside, and goes for takedowns, would make Silva into an invalid.

Silva is amazing in the clinch which is where Jones prefers and attempted most of his takedowns last night. Anderson's weak tdd is largely exaggerated, it's not the best, but its certainly not as bad as people make it out to be.

Gustaffson was able to use his height and reach to throw Jones off his rhythm, According to Gus he's 6'3 and Anderson is 6'2, reaches 76.5in/77.6 in respectively. With that in mind, do you believe Silva could use his similar physical abilities to beat Jones? If you believe Gustafsson was able to keep it close because of his height and reach neutralizing Jones wrestling/striking, then you would have to agree Silva could conceivably do the same.

if Gus is 6'3" then Jones would be 6'2" and Silva would be 6' or less.
http://m.cdn.blog.hu/to/totaldamage/postimage/jones_silva--415x415.jpg
http://www.exposay.com/celebrity-photos/jon-jones-and-anderson-silva-2012-espy-awards-1PcUoK.jpg

and Cain and JDS would be like 6' or 6'1" cause if you look at the pics where Jones, Gus, Cain, JDS, GSP, Hendrick, Rousey and Tate all tour and stand together, Jones and Gus are the tallest in the middle.

Back