Would you give Anderson more of a chance against Jones after last night?

The same guys who are saying Jones smashes Andy are the same ones who were claiming Gus was an easy fight for Jones. And the odds leading up to that fight were disgusting too.

Silva has a better standup game than Gustafsson, without a doubt. The only question is, can Silva stuff Jones? He's already shown clear improvement in the later rounds of Sonnen 2/Weidmen fights. Plus Andy is only 2-3 inches shorter than Jones and has a slightly longer reach than Gustafsson. My two cents.

Needless to say, this year just got REALLY interesting.

I love Silva, but it's a bad match up. If middleweight wrestlers can take him down, you can bet jones can too. And at that point it's a long night for Anderson.

That being said, he has a chance at any point in time to do something vicious so you never really know, but I would not put money on Silva in that fight.

So let me get this straight... silva gets knocked out once while clowning around, and he's not half the fighter he was before? This ANDERSON SILVA, the guy who brings amazing aspect to each fight and has reinvented the MMA world many times. In my opinion the greatest of all time, looked to be about the same size as Griffin. Sonnen was the only one to drill him with take downs and keep him down. I think Jones leverage is negated by height. And its a pretty close fight.

Never mind the fact that Silva would get taken down. Fact is that Silva also relies on his reach to a significant degree to counter the fighters he faced.

In striking with Jones, Silva would have to get on the inside - something that he has never had to do when he fought guys like Leben, Franklin, Griffin, Okami and Sonnen. This was no easy task for any of the LHWs that Jones fought before Gus - even for Machida who is probably best known for the in-and-out style of striking.

I think people are still DRASTICALLY understating how good Gus's boxing and footwork really is.

Gustaffson was able to use his height and reach to throw Jones off his rhythm, According to Gus he's 6'3 and Anderson is 6'2, reaches 76.5in/77.6 in respectively. With that in mind, do you believe Silva could use his similar physical abilities to beat Jones? If you believe Gustafsson was able to keep it close because of his height and reach neutralizing Jones wrestling/striking, then you would have to agree Silva could conceivably do the same.

I don't know about all that jazz. Gus doesn't look like he's one inch taller then Anderson. At least 2.

Silva wont stuff Jones takedowns. He would be on his back eating elbows and getting retired.

NO NO and NO... Silva gets taken down and beat half to death. Gus is 6'5 with huge thighs and a ton of leverage..

I always Silva the advantage on the feet, it's the ground that worries me. To answer the TS's question, after Weidman, I dropped Silva's chances but now I have risen them again back to 50/50.

I always thought Silva would outstrike Jones - it comes down to if Jones could take down Silva, which, chances are, he would.

No. Anderson doesn't have the footwork or takedown defense to keep it standing I imagine.

Can Silva stuff Jon's takedown attempts like Gus did? Which points out the real reason Gus was having success. He was able to stuff Jon's takedowns.

I've always believed Silva could beat Jones as easily as Jones could beat Silva. If Silva keeps it standing, it's game over for Jones but if Jones takes him down he will split Silva's head open. If Jones was more of a wrestler who used a lot of double and single legs I'd favor him a lot but Jones usually takes down people from the clinch where Silva is a beast himself.

It's still a toss up to me. If anything jones proved he has a great chin. But still a 50/50 IMO

No, I would give him even less chance, as Jones showed last night that he has a hell of a chin and a tremendous heart.

The smart money is that Anderson would be planted on the mat rather quickly and fed a diet of elbows until the fight was stopped or he was KO'd/subbed.

Anderson's great but he doesn't do any of the things that made Alexander so successful.

We've never seen Anderson use movement like that while throwing a high quantity of strikes to keep the opponent on the edge of takedown range. Anderson tends to play it methodical and rely on his pinpoint accuracy, which also makes him susceptible to the takedown.

Anderson still has to keep it on the feet to win. Even then, last night showed us that Jon can take alot of punishment over 5 rounds and survive.

Yeah, but we would have to wait to see how he would do in the rematch with Weidman. If he loses so bad,then his time may be up.

Not really, because he doesn't have the TDD that Gus has, so Gus beating him up isn't relevant because Anderson would be on his back.

Back