Would you give Anderson more of a chance against Jones after last night?

Tweak896

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Gustaffson was able to use his height and reach to throw Jones off his rhythm, According to Gus he's 6'3 and Anderson is 6'2, reaches 76.5in/77.6 in respectively. With that in mind, do you believe Silva could use his similar physical abilities to beat Jones? If you believe Gustafsson was able to keep it close because of his height and reach neutralizing Jones wrestling/striking, then you would have to agree Silva could conceivably do the same.

Last edited:
Always believed that Silva could outstrike Jones but I think it all comes down to takedown defense, so my answer is no. Gus' Height/reach is being overrated, his insanely good TDD combined with his striking abilities is what made that fight competitive.

Jones taking anybody down early on is still a very scary thought, those GnP elbows are still one of the nastiest weapons in all of mma.
Gus better keep it standing again in the rematch or the fight won't be this close.

Silva would beat Jones just like Gus did.

I don't think Jones would try and stand with Anderson. He would hellbow him to death the first chance he gets.

Anderson has no where near the TDD that Gus does. He gets taken down at TKO'd.

I don't think Jones would try and stand with Anderson. He would hellbow him to death the first chance he gets.

That might be the difference here. Jones's interviews indicated that he didn't take Gus very seriously. Who can blame him? If I were destroying legends, I would think I was invincible too! But he idolizes Anderson, and he knows just how easily 1 mistake can end your night. I think he would make every effort to put Anderson away in the 1st round.

Yeah after seeing last night, Anderson would work Jones on the feet; but then again Anderson is at a significant size disadvantage, so I don't think he would be able to defend take downs quite as well as Gus.

Gus's TDD > Silva's. Jones Sub first round or second round. Maybe Silva can land something but that's all I would give Silva.

I think if Silva could slightly emulate the success of Gustaffson, he could use the stand up opportunity to finish the fight.

Jones would toss Anderson around the octagon and then elbow the hell out of him

Anderson would still have very little chance to beat Jones. Maybe 15%.

And Anderson would have about 5% chance of beating Gustafsson.

Not sure why people think Jones would destroy Silva in 1 or 2 rounds tho. Even if he can take him down repeatedly, Silva has a good game from the bottom and he is very durable.
Vitor Belfort survived for almost 4 rounds in a one-sided beatdown ffs....

Amazing. Not only does Gustafsson's performance somehow elevate Phil Davis' chance against Jones just because they train together, but now they give Anderson a better shot against Jones too.

No chance Silva defends the takedown like Gus did, he has been taken down with regularity by much lesser wrestlers. Silva vs Jones would not be a striking match, Jones would get him down and keep him there.

Amazing. Not only does Gustafsson's performance somehow elevate Phil Davis' chance against Jones just because they train together, but now they give Anderson a better shot against Jones too.

I would understand slightly why people give Silva a better chance but Davis? I don't see how that works?

Anderson wouldn't be able to fight off the takedowns as easily. Bones still beats him convincingly imo.

Back