Would you favour Rory over Lawler in a third bout?

No, I think in a third fight it would be even worse for Rory, IMO he wouldn't land that head kick that turned around a round and helped him with winning the 4th. I think he would just gradually get picked apart till he gets TKOed/KOed.

Wonder if Rory is still thinking about being a model now that his nose is pushed in. Are there any busted flat nose models out there? He would probably have more success at walking down a runway than fighting..................I dunno tho hed probably trip and fall off the runway

I really don't think it matters. It's a hard fight for either man, but Lawler already took it. He won. I think that series should be left in the past. Lawler was the victor.

To be honest, it should be close. I don't think Robbie is much better than Rory, I think Rory will continue to get better and Robbie has to get worse soon. But its hard to say. Rory would have had a comfortable UD over Robbie at 167 had he not get dropped and at 189 if he didn't get his nose smashed.

fuck score cards it was obvious Robbie was winning the fight, is too soon to think in a third bout

Could go either way. Rory is still pretty young and Robbie is getting old.

Do people forget that the bell saved Robbies life in the 3rd?

yes. the lawler hype is a little crazy but he's earned it. the guy is a tough sob. thruth is rory and johny both have the tools to beat the guy. he's had two favorable outcomes in those last fights. if i lose money, i lose money but johny and rory should win those fights everytime. rarther unfortunate rory is now 0-2 against him with a rather steep hill to climb

As good as he is, more times than not Robbie is not going to get a 5th round finish in that situation. Credit to him for doing it, but he pulled that fight out of his ass. It's not like he can do that whenever he wants, the reality is Robbie was in serious danger of losing that fight.

No offense, but that's a patently bullshit statement. Robbie is who Robbie is because he has always hit people hard late in fights. He's always been capable of knocking people out any second he's still standing, regardless of how winded he is. He was hurting Hendricks late in their fight. He killed Trigg (almost literally) in the championship rounds of their fight. He TKO'd Ellenberger in the 3rd round. The list goes on. Look it up and you'll see that Robbie Lawler has five career (T)KO's from the third round on, and predominately against top competition.

Compare that to Rory who has 1 (T)KO win against top competition in his entire career (and that's if you count Saffeidine as "top"). His second best stoppage was over Pyle. Robbie had a huge power advantage in this fight, and you're attempting to ignore that as a major factor. In other words:

It's not a coincidence or luck that he broke Rory's nose in the first round. He broke it because he's Robbie Lawler.

It's not a coincidence he hit Rory hard in the fifth round. He hit him hard because he's Robbie Lawler.

Nobody is going to guarantee that Robbie wins a third fight, but frankly, your post reads like whiny revisionist bullshit.

As it turned out, Robbie basically needed a finish in the 5th round to avoid losing. We didn't know it at the time, but he was down 3-1.

As good as he is, more times than not Robbie is not going to get a 5th round finish in that situation. Credit to him for doing it, but he pulled that fight out of his ass. It's not like he can do that whenever he wants, the reality is Robbie was in serious danger of losing that fight.

Point is, they were evenly matched, at least then. I favor Robbie in a 3rd fight as well, for sure, but let's not act like Robbie had that fight all along.

I agree with most of your assessment, but I think Rory would win the next one, simply by being more active - a lot more movement. I think Robbie's gas tank would run out, and that would be it (which is why I think Condit is a bad match for Robbie).

If Rory wants to just stand and trade though, then it's Robbie dropping him on his ass again.

Rory's striking and striking defense are pretty bad. IMO, Robbie is too strong for Rory to grapple with and I think that Robbie would win 4/5 times.

He should be worried about Condit, though. Condit has better striking, a better chin, more fluid on the feet and transitions better, and can actually work off of his back.

Back