Would you favour Rory over Lawler in a third bout?

RoryMacdonald

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Robbie is 2-0 against Rory, but both fights were very closely contested bouts. Rory has technically won 4 rounds to Robbie's 3, and Rory has landed more strikes over the course of the 2 fights. Robbie still got the 2 W's though. Rory was the favourite in both fights and there is a great chance that he would also be the favourite in the third. I sense this fight is a must happen in 2016!

Further proof that winning rounds doesn't mean dick in a fuckin fight.

Robbie wins this fight every single time until father time comes knocking.

He's just the better fighter of the two. It's just a fact.

Definitely not.

Even though they've been pretty evenly matched in both fights, mentally Lawler has to be in a much better place right now.

I know he's not old, but I'm interested to see what Rory really has left after that.

Between there 36 minutes of fighting or so, Rory was controlling and winning maybe 23 minutes of it. Rory's nose was broken in the first round and that seriously messed with his breathing. Getting punched with your mouth open is never a good thing. These two are basically 50/50

As it turned out, Robbie basically needed a finish in the 5th round to avoid losing. We didn't know it at the time, but he was down 3-1.

As good as he is, more times than not Robbie is not going to get a 5th round finish in that situation. Credit to him for doing it, but he pulled that fight out of his ass. It's not like he can do that whenever he wants, the reality is Robbie was in serious danger of losing that fight.

Point is, they were evenly matched, at least then. I favor Robbie in a 3rd fight as well, for sure, but let's not act like Robbie had that fight all along.

Yeah, I thought about this myself... It will be interesting to see where all the bets go.

Between there 36 minutes of fighting or so, Rory was controlling and winning maybe 23 minutes of it. Rory's nose was broken in the first round and that seriously messed with his breathing. Getting punched with your mouth open is never a good thing. These two are basically 50/50

And again, none of that means anything if the guy "controlling" can't make it to the bell.

And no, they are not 50/50

They are 2-0, and 0-2.

I just re-watched the fight and thought Robbie won Rounds 1 and 2. Couldn't watch after this though too much blood on Rory's face and felt ill.

But Lawler has his #.

And again, none of that means anything if the guy "controlling" can't make it to the bell.

And no, they are not 50/50

They are 2-0, and 0-2.

It means nothing yet Rory has been the favourite twice already and is likely to be the third time as well?

As it turned out, Robbie basically needed a finish in the 5th round to avoid losing. We didn't know it at the time, but he was down 3-1.

As good as he is, more times than not Robbie is not going to get a 5th round finish in that situation. Credit to him for doing it, but he pulled that fight out of his ass. It's not like he can do that whenever he wants, the reality is Robbie was in serious danger of losing that fight.

And yet Rory is the one that actually lost the fight. "If hopes and dreams were peaches and cream..." after all.

I'll say it a third time, and then bow out to avoid what is apparently just going to be a circle jerk thread:

Scorecards don't mean shit until the official decision. They mean less than shit when the decision doesn't even have to be read.

[YT]VEr4od4jQk0[/YT]

Perfect response.

Lawler just has the skills to beat Rory. Rory was badly beaten physically in both fights, rounds don't mean shit if you lose the fight.

I think Rory has a decent chance to win a 3rd fight but then of course it's just an ugly situation where it's still 2-1.

And yet Rory is the one that actually lost the fight. "If hopes and dreams were peaches and cream..." after all.

I'll say it a third time, and then bow out to avoid what is apparently just going to be a circle jerk thread:

Scorecards don't mean shit until the official decision. They mean less than shit when the decision doesn't even have to be read.

Gus losing to Jones doesn't mean shit then by your logic here..

It means nothing yet Rory has been the favourite twice already and is likely to be the third time as well?

Rory has been the favorite two times and has also lost two times? Yeah I would say thats pretty strong evidence to the fact that pre fight favorites don't mean dick when the favorite can't make it to the final bell.

You can feel free bet your money on Rory a third time, and I'll just win your money a third time.

I would have to see Rory show significant defensive growth before favoring him in another fight with Lawler.

I'm not saying it means anything that Rory was up 3-1 except for the fact that the odds were well in Rory's favor going into the 5th round indicating that Robbie doesn't win that fight 10 out of 10 times.

Now if on the other hand you think Robbie can score a knockout any time he really needs one then I guess you can throw out the scorecards as far as that discussion goes but I don't think that's realistic.

His best chance is to spam takedowns until he gets one, stay active in full guard, and secure rounds.

Back