Would you favour Rory over Lawler in a third bout?

Lol at people who think just because he lost twice doesn't mean he can never beat him. He was winning the 2nd fight before he got finished. Lawler was seconds away from getting finished himself before he got saved by the bell at the end of the 3rd. He was also getting his ass kicked at the start of the 4th.

Rory can still beat Lawler.

Between there 36 minutes of fighting or so, Rory was controlling and winning maybe 23 minutes of it. Rory's nose was broken in the first round and that seriously messed with his breathing. Getting punched with your mouth open is never a good thing. These two are basically 50/50

Rory has lost 2 out of 2 times. They're not 50/50.

Robbie's toughness and power, also his cardio has Rory in a pretty frustrating spot.. Rory can actually be winning most of the fight, but that damage will always rack up for a Robbie stoppage in a 5 rounder IMO

As it turned out, Robbie basically needed a finish in the 5th round to avoid losing. We didn't know it at the time, but he was down 3-1.

As good as he is, more times than not Robbie is not going to get a 5th round finish in that situation. Credit to him for doing it, but he pulled that fight out of his ass. It's not like he can do that whenever he wants, the reality is Robbie was in serious danger of losing that fight.

Point is, they were evenly matched, at least then. I favor Robbie in a 3rd fight as well, for sure, but let's not act like Robbie had that fight all along.

Robbie has the tendency to take a breaks and stay inactive for parts of the fights. First round - nothing interesting happens - they are testing each other. Second round - Lawler was doing good, displayed who the better striker, he inflicted damage on Rory and lifted the foot of the pedal for too long I'd say, that break allowed Rory to develop his offense and then the headkick came.

As soon as he got his senses back, he turned it up, brought it back to Rory. He knew what he was doing in the fifth. He knew he needed a finish and he went out, pressed like he did in the 2nd and won.

So I favour Robbie as well, those breaks he takes though - Hendrcks was winning much more convincingly in their second fight until he decided to go for those dead-end takedowns instead of keep it standing, where he was winning on points FOR SURE. So, while at it - I tend to favour Hendricks in rematch, and also Condit and Diaz. Actually, I have zero clue why is Diaz not running his mouth to get that fight - thats his only way to ever be a champ at that division (or any other)

I think Robbie wins a third time. More Aggressive , more heart, wont get wrestled and mounted, and will most likely win by TKO within 5 rounds.

1. Rory came close to finishing Robbie in the second fight.

2. The judges weren't wrong; Rory won three rounds. He won the first by being slightly more active in an uneventful round. He lost the second when Robbie came on strong at the end. He won the third via almost finishing Robbie at the end. He won the fourth by beating the hell out of Robbie for the first half of the round. Robbie came on strong and took the momentum by the end of the round, so I could see why a Robbie fan would be tempted to give him that round, but the first two minutes were too one-sided.

3. I was never a huge Rory fan; his win over Ellenberger left a bad taste in my mouth. He really won me over in this fight. He's dangerous and tough as nails.

4. Robbie walking up on Rory at the end of the fourth was a great MMA moment for me. In the parlance of Sherdog that was alpha as fuck.

Does ANYONE here, who has watched the fight multiple times actual ly believe Robbie was closed to being finished. The sad truth is, at Rory's best moment at end of round 3, he wasn't at full power on those shots.

Rory's 3rd round against Robbie was EXACTLY like Lyoto s 5th round flurry on Weidman. It reeked of desperation. Jack Slack described Rory as looking defeated and in confident at end of round 3. Rory was the prey, not the predator, even in that moment.

Rory is undoubtedly tough, but he fights his best when he completely dictates the pace and style of a fight, kind of like GSP.

Meanwhile Robbie thrives in brutal wars. Since they both have great chins and plenty of power, I always see their matches going long and getting a little wild.

Their first match was a great example of Robbie refusing to bow to Rory's style and taking Rory out of his comfort zone, and we all know how the second went.

There will be a 3rd fight, but both guys should face others for a while.

Does ANYONE here, who has watched the fight multiple times actual ly believe Robbie was closed to being finished.

I do. He was badly hurt from what I saw and was likely saved by the bell.

dude STFU. Rory got wrecked, he is vastly overrated.

No, I think Robbie would be the rightful favorite a third time. Robbie was dominating the third round and the fight up until the head kick. The one kick did briefly turn the tide of the fight. Without it Robbie would have finished Rory in the forth.

I got Robbie a third time, he broke Rory Mac

Its just a bad matchup for Rory IMHO, he's gotten by working his standup from range in a division lacking in masses of striking talent but Robbies jab is so much more power/fluid and leaves him looking rather mechanical.

I would like to see how both of them perform over their next couple of fights, but I don't think Lawler has much time left at the top of the division...he thrives on getting the shit beat out of him just a little too much. Father Time will come for him sooner rather than later...and his next fight is against a fellow killer.

No. I don't think he should even be forced into getting beat up again.

Rory could quite easily win the warm up rounds again, but that's about it. He can't run away for 5 whole rounds, and when they actually start fighting, Robbie will kick his ass yet again.

I dont know

maybe rory just isnt as good as I thought

guess I fell victim to rogan hype

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back