Would you do a PHD in your mid or late 30s?

Most PhD students are in their 30s in my department. It's actually relatively rare (unless in a STEM discipline) to do undergrad/masters/PhD in a straight shot.

I was the second youngest PhD graduate in my cohort, and I was 29. The hardest part about doing a PHd as you get older is balancing the time commitment with other life obligations (like children). The only reason I could finish as fast as I did is because I had no wife/kids and I didn't have to worry about working part time to make ends meat. My two office mates were both in their mid 30s and had children.

I genuinely have no concept of why anyone would get a phd later in life except for nonsensical prestige.
Yes, it's a lot of work and only worth it if you're in academia but then you most likely got in earlier.
I'm talking about STEM, no idea about other areas.

When I did engineering someone presented to us about doing a PHD, of course this required a 75% average at least. I was nowhere near there so forgot it pretty quick.

Yes, it's a lot of work and only worth it if you're in academia but then you most likely got in earlier.
I'm talking about STEM, no idea about other areas.

That intelligence officer who exposed Trump Vindman is doing PHD he is mid 40s. Also Alan Greenspan who was Fed chairman got one at 51.

Only if it were for a career where it is necessary, like an actual doctor. Higher education is a joke at this point. So unless it is absolutely required for something you want to do, i would save my money

Most PhD students are in their 30s in my department. It's actually relatively rare (unless in a STEM discipline) to do undergrad/masters/PhD in a straight shot.

I was the second youngest PhD graduate in my cohort, and I was 29. The hardest part about doing a PHd as you get older is balancing the time commitment with other life obligations (like children). The only reason I could finish as fast as I did is because I had no wife/kids and I didn't have to worry about working part time to make ends meat. My two office mates were both in their mid 30s and had children.
Yeah but you were dealing with a wife, she just wasn’t your wife.

Sorry bro I had to do it <3

That intelligence officer who exposed Trump Vindman is doing PHD he is mid 40s. Also Alan Greenspan who was Fed chairman got one at 51.
I think that it could be intellectually stimulating but I don't see an actual utility for it. I guess it's also a status symbol in some areas.

Only if it were for a career where it is necessary, like an actual doctor. Higher education is a joke at this point. So unless it is absolutely required for something you want to do, i would save my money

Are you saying graduate work is a joke? The degree usually doesn't cost anything...

I would even get my bachelors degree at that age lol. The PHD is just a dick measuring contest unless you need it for work as far as personal improvement you could study that stuff on your own. PHD is most a flex there are people with g.e.d making more than them.

l@nd0 I concur

Just getting a bachelor's in pure math almost drove me insane, motherfuck a PhD

I went back for my master's from ages 33-36. It was a very different experience from my undergrad. Because I worked full-time at the same time, I became a horrible procrastinator and barely hung in there to finish my 100 page thesis. For someone who loved studying and academia, and despite my 4.0 GPA, it completely burned me out on school.

Nope.

I'd rather learn another trade, take art classes for fun, build something or pick a van from the junkyard and convert it into a campervan.

^^ This would be all I would want to do now with my life and time.

However, if you're all in to the idea of getting a PhD, go for it. Just maybe talk to someone who has the same degree from the same program. I know quite a few burned out former PhD students.

I'm 45 y.o. and did a Master's Degree last year, so, yeah, why not? I personally enjoy studying + you also get to meet hot & young uni girls again

Yeah, this is one of the weird things... We have a 50 year old guy sharing an office with a bunch of early 20 something women. I can only imagine what kind of conversations take place in there... And what else goes on.

Already have a Phd.

Pretty huge dick

Depending on your Major/Field, different careers require different degrees.

My undergrad in Econ let me be a broker, a cost analyst, and a consultant. No job in the Economic field would even look at me with less than 10 years experience.

Finishing the MS in Econ I'm currently pursuing will shift my opportunities into actual economist roles.

If I pursue the PhD, in my school, it's not even in Econ. It's in Public Policy, which would shift me into political/government areas.

Three degrees on this path, and each one leads to VERY different careers.

Also, sometimes it isn't about the money. I want to actually enjoy my job and feel like I'm contributing what I am capable of.

OTOH, my friends in C.S. seem to do just fine with their undergrad. My buddy in Aerospace Eng. says a Masters would be pretty much useless in his career. The guy I know with a BS in Chem says he'd be lucky to get a job cleaning test tubes with that degree. He'd need the PhD to ever actually work as a Chemist.

Four different STEM fields, and it varies a lot.

I did do a PHD in my mid 30s ........ so yes

Advanced education is not respected by this nation of illiteriate cans and in many cases it's not even paid. So no.

Unless it's history then yes. That's just because I love history more than anything else. I couldn't do it because it required multiple languages and my brain just doesn't work that way so I settled for a JD.

I have a PhD in biochemistry. If there are any questions about graduate school in the STEM fields you can DM. One thing many don’t know that in bio/Chem/ similar STEM fields you pay 0 in tuition and actually get paid a stipend to get your PhD. Usually not much - I was making 35k ish ten years ago as a PhD student. But that’s because you can’t take work outside of the program (and you won’t have time to even if u could/ wanted to)

No I've always hated school it's not a good way for me to learn.
I am very much the same way, but I pushed through enough to get a bachelor’s. I definitely thought about going the PhD route in my early 30s.
In a PhD program, or even a master’s, it’s much less sitting in a class listening to lectures and more seminar style classes and self directed work, which would be good for me, as I learn much easier that way. But even at 30, I just thought I was too old. Now I look back and kind of regret not doing it then.

Back