Would you do a PHD in your mid or late 30s?

It's the same rich "overlords" that celebrate more education. People spent countless decades in government education following the beaten path for a joke of degree and 0 ROI.

Not paying taxes because you game the tax code LEGALLY isn't the same thing as being a parasite. Begging for loan forgiveness because you got a bachelors in Muppet therapy.

It's one of the greatest cons jobs. My buddy wanted to be a doctor. He landed into a programming role and hadn't looked back. The correct undergrad is enough.

Look at the birth rates.

The loans should of never cost that much to begin with it is a predatory industry. Not all these people got dumb degrees and even if they did I advice them not to pay it. Only a fool would
Only if it will boost your salary and/or forward your career. Btw, I refuse to call anyone a doctor unless they have a medical degree.

Doctor Jill Biden!!

Dr. Jill Biden!!!!

The loans should of never cost that much to begin with it is a predatory industry. Not all these people got dumb degrees and even if they did I advice them not to pay it. Only a fool would

Doctor Jill Biden!!

Dr. Jill Biden!!!!

It's blood money for life. You can declare bankruptcy on whatever fuck up but predatory student loans rope in minors. It's evil.

You get indoctrinated to be a npc and get educated. Essentially, stupid people paying over the top for a piece of paper that's symbolic for smarts. In actuality, it just means you are a moron and a follower.

612f4379-6dae-4e03-a4cf-8b95e08f9581_200_10.gif

That is the average parent of the students who take no interest in their kids education nor protect them from throwing away their life for English literature.

Yeah, but only if I needed it professionally.

I don't think it makes sense for someone with a 15 year old masters in art history that's working as a cashier at Petco to go back for a PhD expecting that'll be the thing that finally gets their career going.

But if a director of finance gets passed up for a CFO position in favor of a PhD then they may want to rethink their education.

Dexter Holland lead singer of the Offspring just got his PhD in molecular biology at age 56

Holland's thesis is titled the 'Discovery of Mature MicroRNA Sequences within the Protein-Coding Regions of Global HIV-1 Genomes: Predictions of Novel Mechanisms for Viral Infection and Pathogenicity'

My sister is getting her PHD at that age. I got my third degree, an MBA, at 40.

You say it like the 30-40s is late in life to get a phd. I live in a city know for it's high volume of scientists and I know a lot of people with PhDs, including several family members. They all did their PhD is their late 40's and 50s. My aunt is currently working on hers, she's 48.

I'm 40 and I'm planning on starting mine within the next 5 years.

I would if money were no object. Then I would spend my last 15 working years as a professor. Good pay and benefits and you get to bang the chicks.
If it's your last 15 years then it would be your late 50's and early 60's.

The professors that get to bang students are usually younger than that.

If it's your last 15 years then it would be your late 50's and early 60's.

The professors that get to bang students are usually younger than that.
Usually yes, but I got crazy game and stay in good shape. I also am smart enough to go for the ones with less self esteem.

My 30s have passed and no I'd never consider it in my 40s. It wouldn't help me in my field anyway. Even getting a masters probably wouldn't help much either unless I wanted to get into management which I don't.

If there was something I had a real passion for, and I didn’t need to worry about the money I’d lose, sure I could see getting PhD, that’s a lot of ifs on my part.

The key thing is just go in understanding that the degree itself probably won’t earn you a ton of money and that you’ll never become a tenured university professor. If you’re approaching it with income potential or a stable academic career as an end goal, then it’s a mistake. Otherwise follow your passion, you only live once.

For someone who is in teaching, research or sciences, sure.

Otherwise, hell fucking no.

Unless you got the money, don't do it

You say it like the 30-40s is late in life to get a phd. I live in a city know for it's high volume of scientists and I know a lot of people with PhDs, including several family members. They all did their PhD is their late 40's and 50s. My aunt is currently working on hers, she's 48.

I'm 40 and I'm planning on starting mine within the next 5 years.
What country is this?

Best time to plant a tree is thirty years ago.

The second best time to plant a tree is right now.

I'm doing my MSc part-time right now in my late thirties. I would have to take a massive salary decrease to do a PhD, and having a wife and kids, it's impossible for me. And I don't think the payout would be much better afterward. They're good for research positions but research pays shit, and forget about getting professorship anywhere because of how competitive it is. A master's is good enough to scale the career ladder nowadays.

Back