Would Sugar Robinson be considered a boring fighter today?

I would favor Robinson in terms of his size, but at equal sizes I say Floyd outboxes him.

I think SRR has become the default answer, and a lot of people are lazy and afraid to go against the status quo and think for themselves.

Other than having legit 1-punch KO power, there's nothing SRR did better than Floyd.
hmm i think Robinson's offense was better when he was the one pressuring.

I think Floyd has a better defense. I think Floyd was a better counter puncher.

Not sure why you guys argue about this stuff when it's unknowable. I admit my boxing knowledge is really amateurish. But, I mean opinions aren't completely fact-based so its an exercise in futility, usually. Floyd's good but probably the biggest named a-hole in boxing, and definitely boring to watch unless you're really tuned into his sports-crafting and don't care that he looks like a pussy and doesn't land all that many heavy shots. I'm more interested in Floyd fights when he's fighting someone who can evade his shots like Canelo.

He's fluid, exhibits good mechanics, and is always on the move. That type of boxing does not lend itself to entertainment value, however.

I haven't watched many SRR's fights yet, but the way you're describing him sounds exciting to me. I get bored watching Ali's fights when he was older against Frazier or Foreman because its a lot of Ali tiring out his opponent, and announcers being biased towards him anytime he landed a shot.

I am not talking about raw power. His strokes have more power because his technique is better.
#1 bullshit. Punchers are born, not created. You gotta go back to the drawing board dude.
Holy shit

Are you actually trying to be a retard, peckah?

That's like saying Ken Griffey Jr was just born with power....had nothing to do with his absolutely perfect swing that was polished his entire life....goddamn

Not sure why you guys argue about this stuff when it's unknowable. I admit my boxing knowledge is really amateurish. But, I mean opinions aren't completely fact-based so its an exercise in futility, usually. Floyd's good but probably the biggest named a-hole in boxing, and definitely boring to watch unless you're really tuned into his sports-crafting and don't care that he looks like a pussy and doesn't land all that many heavy shots. I'm more interested in Floyd fights when he's fighting someone who can evade his shots like Canelo.

I haven't watched many SRR's fights yet, but the way you're describing him sounds exciting to me. I get bored watching Ali's fights when he was older against Frazier or Foreman because its a lot of Ali tiring out his opponent, and announcers being biased towards him anytime he landed a shot.
Canelo got hit....a lot.

Watch Emanuel Augustus or Jose Luis Castillo fight him.....they take him out of his natural comfort zone

La Motta said Robinson broke his ribs, nose, you name it. It's hard to tell from these old footages how much impact there was. I can see has good torque and stuff but you don't hear anything.

So yeah dude hit like a brick, apparently.

I know there is not that much footage of SRR in his prime and i have said this in other threads. The reason i think SRR is the best ever is the participation rate of men in boxing in america at the time. There is a reason america has never won a world cup in mens soccer because the participation rate of men in america is much lower than other countries. That is also why the are so far ahead of the world in basketball. If i give u 100 boxers and give me 1000 boxers who is more likely to have the best boxer overall.

I know there is not that much footage of SRR in his prime and i have said this in other threads. The reason i think SRR is the best ever is the participation rate of men in boxing in america at the time. There is a reason america has never won a world cup in mens soccer because the participation rate of men in america is much lower than other countries. That is also why the are so far ahead of the world in basketball. If i give u 100 boxers and give me 1000 boxers who is more likely to have the best boxer overall.

It's clear Sugar ray is in his prime here.. just because he's older doesn't mean he isn't in his prime. He was winning everything.. There is a difference between peak and prime. A fighter in his prime fights the same as when he is at his best, he's just not at his absolute best (peak)

At 5 ft 11, could he have been a blown up HW in Alis time, without steroids and shit? Would it have been possible?

I haven't watched many SRR's fights yet, but the way you're describing him sounds exciting to me. .

A lot of jabbing and moving. Can be a bit boring in the long run against very strong opponents like La Motta.

I think a lot of the older fighters get looked on with rose colored glasses because MOST people only watch the HL clips, or the very best fights. And this is certainly the case with SRR, who, if you go through a lot of his full fights, had some real cautious stinkers - the same kind that people would rip a Mayweather or Ward for having.

But of course unlike most cautious slicksters, SRR had that beautiful one-punch power that could end a fight at any time.
Some of this is also from fighting so often. Both how revered they are and also how boring some fights can be

I would favor Robinson in terms of his size, but at equal sizes I say Floyd outboxes him.

I think SRR has become the default answer, and a lot of people are lazy and afraid to go against the status quo and think for themselves.

Other than having legit 1-punch KO power, there's nothing SRR did better than Floyd.
boxing is punching. offensively robinson was worlds better that floyd and thats not just his one shot power. there is not a single punch you could say floyd threw better than robinson. i do think floyd had a superior defence but the art of war (and boxing) favours offence, therefore i would have to strongly favour robinson.

Last edited:
So other than having more power... nothing. Floyd was fully capable of ripping tremendous combinations (especially early on in his career), but evolved into a style where he was more economical and cautious, so that really doesn't make much sense to compare.

See, this is what I was talking about above. People just default to SRR. You ask them why, and they got nothing. "Cuz people say he is." Do your own research, folks.
robinson's combos had better punch selection.

Robinsons power shots were better (overhand, hooks, right hands etc). His combinations were miles better (overhand, hooks, etc). I give Floyd the jab cause it was faster.
i give robinson a tremendous advantage with the jab. his jab used to bust people up.

Would Robinson be considered a boring fighter today? Well he'd always be less boring than Mayweather because he has power. And Mayweather didn't do so bad for a fighter often labelled as boring. So no I think Robinson would do fine today.

Back