Would Sugar Robinson be considered a boring fighter today?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Watching this fight in which he was evenly matched, it's not all that exciting. He's your typical boxer puncher. Actually a good prototype for how to box by the book IMO. He's fluid, exhibits good mechanics, and is always on the move. That type of boxing does not lend itself to entertainment value, however.

I think a lot of the older fighters get looked on with rose colored glasses because MOST people only watch the HL clips, or the very best fights. And this is certainly the case with SRR, who, if you go through a lot of his full fights, had some real cautious stinkers - the same kind that people would rip a Mayweather or Ward for having.

But of course unlike most cautious slicksters, SRR had that beautiful one-punch power that could end a fight at any time.

I think a lot of the older fighters get looked on with rose colored glasses because MOST people only watch the HL clips, or the very best fights. And this is certainly the case with SRR, who, if you go through a lot of his full fights, had some real cautious stinkers - the same kind that people would rip a Mayweather or Ward for having.

But of course unlike most cautious slicksters, SRR had that beautiful one-punch power that could end a fight at any time.

Every fighter has bad fights. Technically, there is nobody better.

Look at 3:26 for a prime example and slow mo it.

Technically, there is nobody better.

He was great but Floyd was technically better.

When I say he was in cautious stinkers, I don't mean that as a bad thing - technical prowess is not always exciting.

He was great but Floyd was technically better.

When I say he was in cautious stinkers, I don't mean that as a bad thing - technical prowess is not always exciting.
Yeah. I would agree. although in a fight I favor Robinson.

I think with Robinson his resume is just so far superior to pretty much anyone else's that he likely will always be p4p #1.

Unfortunate for the rest of them i guess

Yeah. I would agree. although in a fight I favor Robinson.

I think with Robinson his resume is just so far superior to pretty much anyone else's that he likely will always be p4p #1.

Unfortunate for the rest of them i guess

I would favor Robinson in terms of his size, but at equal sizes I say Floyd outboxes him.

I think SRR has become the default answer, and a lot of people are lazy and afraid to go against the status quo and think for themselves.

Other than having legit 1-punch KO power, there's nothing SRR did better than Floyd.

A lot of his prime is either unavailable or choppy and hard to see full bouts.

He was 33 in the OP footage....

In his prime he was unanimously viewed as far and away the most enormously talented fighter ever.

He would easily slay 99% of today's 147/154/160 divisions.

People itt showing their lack of actual boxing knowledge.

Not even close. here is Floyd sinking into his punch, for once. Chin up in the air, left down, etc

So you take one example where Floyd is punching a guy who he knows isn't set to fire back as some kind of proof of bad technique on Floyd's part? lol smh

What did SRR do better than Floyd? What skills did he possess that Floyd didn't? Please be specific.

A lot of his prime is either unavailable or choppy and hard to see full bouts.

He was 33 in the OP footage....

In his prime he was unanimously viewed as far and away the most enormously talented fighter ever.

He would easily slay 99% of today's 147/154/160 divisions.

People itt showing their lack of actual boxing knowledge.

So we take the word of 1940's newspaper clippings that SRR is the greatest who will ever live? lol smh

So you take one example where Floyd is punching a guy who he knows isn't set to fire back as some kind of proof of bad technique on Floyd's part? lol smh

What did SRR do better than Floyd? What skills did he possess that Floyd didn't? Please be specific.

Robinsons power shots were better (overhand, hooks, right hands etc). His combinations were miles better (overhand, hooks, etc). I give Floyd the jab cause it was faster.

So we take the word of 1940's newspaper clippings that SRR is the greatest who will ever live? lol smh
I'm disappointed in your showing here

You better than this dawg

Robinsons power shots were better (overhand, hooks, right hands etc). His combinations were miles better (overhand, hooks, etc). I give Floyd the jab cause it was faster.

So other than having more power... nothing. Floyd was fully capable of ripping tremendous combinations (especially early on in his career), but evolved into a style where he was more economical and cautious, so that really doesn't make much sense to compare.

See, this is what I was talking about above. People just default to SRR. You ask them why, and they got nothing. "Cuz people say he is." Do your own research, folks.

So you take one example where Floyd is punching a guy who he knows isn't set to fire back as some kind of proof of bad technique on Floyd's part?.

He slipped in those bad habits quite a few times... in particular when he combined head movement. Head movement or not it's bad habits.

Real answer though

I take the word of what actual contemporary and boxers that came soon after more than just people

Ali himself said Ray was the best he ever saw.....just one example

Real answer though

I take the word of what actual contemporary and boxers that came soon after more than just people

Ali himself said Ray was the best he ever saw.....just one example

So you don't think for yourself. And you realize that there's been like 60 years of motherfuckers that fought after SRR, right?

Back