Would Mayweather jr be able to handle big punchers like Hearns and Jackson?

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by spacetime, Aug 9, 2019.

1. eternaldarkness

eternaldarkness Brown Belt

I think you should rewatch it. Leonard's eye was nearly closed. And you could nearly see the streaks in his undies.

r-harper-1 likes this.
  2. spacetime

spacetime Red Belt

Okey that would have to be the one where he stopped him. The second one was lifeless as I recall but Hearns just dominated with the jab and should have won on the scorecards, but got robbed.

3. mozfonky

mozfonky We oughta be fightin' a bottle of Geritol.

well, the documentary is wrong then. I think the doctor might have said "you could go blind" but I believe his doctors always gave him the go ahead. I was there, breathing and living the boxing mags at the time, i wasn't getting any pussy so what else was I gonna do?

4. spacetime

spacetime Red Belt

Fair enough but go blind is advising you against it lol..

5. mozfonky

they probably said something along the lines of "there is a risk" that's doctor talk in case you fuck yourself up, you can't sue them for it. It was ray's decision, I think personally, he wanted to avoid hagler, then hagler took his place and the prima donna couldn't handle it and came back to fight an old man.

6. HI SCOTT NEWMAN

HI SCOTT NEWMAN Steel Belt Cat ✔

Yes I think he would coast against them. They have power but many guys Floyd fought have power, the problem is landing on him, he is so hard to hit flush, even very fast guys struggle to hit him flush. I like Jackson a lot, but I really think Floyd would just win a lopsided decision against him.

Hearns would have more chance than Jackson I think, because he has more attributes, but still wouldn't lay down money on him if we had some magic time machine that made them fight.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  7. mrsenor

mrsenor Black Belt

hearns via ko

8. mrsenor

mrsenor Black Belt

thats floyd's billed height

9. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

None of those guys are classified as punchers with the exception of Tszyu and Zarate, neither of whom would top any ATG list. Hearns and Robinson were complete fighters, not punchers. Punchers are guys like George Foreman, Julian Jackson etc
    Make sure you're not the one talking shit when you accuse people of talking shit next time.

10. PHATV

PHATV FREE @RR!!! Platinum Member

I'll take Mayweather all day. He's not going to take the flush shots in his prime. From anyone. I'd cite the Canelo fight and he was even getting a bit long in the tooth for that one. And he can figure out anyone quickly and score pretty much at will. I favor him over anyone at his weight.

11. StopDucking

StopDucking Ronda Rousey hater

They didn't. They all got bigger. Guys who are 6+ft can no longer fight as WW because they put on too much muscle and are too big. Fighters' height didn't decrease (it's actually the opposite), their weight increased, which forces them to fight at higher weight classes than before.

Ironically, since HW doesn't have a weight limit, HW fighters are now both taller and heavier on average, which means people who would have been HWs back in the day are now fighting at lower weight classes. Ali, Frazier and Louis would all be CWs today and would still be smaller than Usyk.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  12. Oogie Sharp

Oogie Sharp Red Belt

Perhaps, but Leonard battered Hearns from pillar to post in the last round. Not a good look for the end of a fight. Hearns is lucky it wasn't 15 rounds like their first fight, because Leonard was starting to come back like he did in the first one.

13. 4daLuLZ

4daLuLZ Purple Belt

Lol at "scot free".

r-harper-1 likes this.
  14. r-harper-1

r-harper-1 Red Belt

Floyd would outfox Jackson imo ....Hearns is a awful fight for Floyd imo .... A much naturally bigger murderous puncher with boxing skills would be to much for Floyd

15. r-harper-1

r-harper-1 Red Belt

I’m a Floyd fan , but I feel he’d lose a decision trying to outbox Hearns before you’d try to out fight him

BluntTrauma21 likes this.
  16. r-harper-1

r-harper-1 Red Belt

They were also bigger than Duran that came up from higher weights ....

17. mozfonky

it didn't stop you when your dad told you to stop wacking off did it?

18. aries

aries Silver Belt

So Roy Jones was not as talented as Floyd because he peaked sooner and declined more rapidly? I don't think longevity is the sole marker of talent. Is Pacquiao more talented than Mayweather because he's still boxing at the highest level when Mayweather has already retired?

19. SandaKicker

SandaKicker Yellow Belt

I'm assuming you are referring to the 34 year old version of Oscar that fought Floyd and lost by split decision.

The prime 24 year old version of De La Hoya was a beast.

20. BluntTrauma21

BluntTrauma21 Broner Brody / Pulev Posse

You don't think he'd have the balls to try get inside and fight Hearns? I just think he'd realize after getting pieced up for a few rds that his only chance at getting away from the damage would be to try to work it inside and cause a closer range fight.

I think that would be his only/best chance. I don't know if he'd survive a distance fight with Tommy, maybe lose a wide Dec if he went full defense. It's interesting thinking about how he'd adjust but he'd have to do something different than try to box from the outside, imo.