Would Mayweather jr be able to handle big punchers like Hearns and Jackson?

Outboxed him.. Didn't beat the crap out of him. But yeah, I can't in any way see how Mayweather wins.. on points or by stoppage. Either one sounds far fetched against a hall of famer with superior reach, power, and height...

But against guys his own size, yeah, Mayweather won't be beaten by anyone I can think of.
I think you should rewatch it. Leonard's eye was nearly closed. And you could nearly see the streaks in his undies.

I think you should rewatch it. Leonard's eye was nearly closed. And you could nearly see the streaks in his undies.

Okey that would have to be the one where he stopped him. The second one was lifeless as I recall but Hearns just dominated with the jab and should have won on the scorecards, but got robbed.

That's not what the documentary said..
well, the documentary is wrong then. I think the doctor might have said "you could go blind" but I believe his doctors always gave him the go ahead. I was there, breathing and living the boxing mags at the time, i wasn't getting any pussy so what else was I gonna do?

well, the documentary is wrong then. I think the doctor might have said "you could go blind" but I believe his doctors always gave him the go ahead. I was there, breathing and living the boxing mags at the time, i wasn't getting any pussy so what else was I gonna do?

Fair enough but go blind is advising you against it lol..

Fair enough but go blind is advising you against it lol..
they probably said something along the lines of "there is a risk" that's doctor talk in case you fuck yourself up, you can't sue them for it. It was ray's decision, I think personally, he wanted to avoid hagler, then hagler took his place and the prima donna couldn't handle it and came back to fight an old man.

Yes I think he would coast against them. They have power but many guys Floyd fought have power, the problem is landing on him, he is so hard to hit flush, even very fast guys struggle to hit him flush. I like Jackson a lot, but I really think Floyd would just win a lopsided decision against him.

Hearns would have more chance than Jackson I think, because he has more attributes, but still wouldn't lay down money on him if we had some magic time machine that made them fight.

Last edited:
Fuck you talk shit, never heard of tzu, zarate, Robinson, hearns? Just because you don't like punchers it doesn't mean you have to talk out of your arse.
None of those guys are classified as punchers with the exception of Tszyu and Zarate, neither of whom would top any ATG list. Hearns and Robinson were complete fighters, not punchers. Punchers are guys like George Foreman, Julian Jackson etc
Make sure you're not the one talking shit when you accuse people of talking shit next time.

I'll take Mayweather all day. He's not going to take the flush shots in his prime. From anyone. I'd cite the Canelo fight and he was even getting a bit long in the tooth for that one. And he can figure out anyone quickly and score pretty much at will. I favor him over anyone at his weight.

That's what I argue too big and taller punchers. Why where the guys much smaller in his era, a later era... Athletes tend to get bigger, not smaller...
So why did the fighters get smaller than a previous era?
They didn't. They all got bigger. Guys who are 6+ft can no longer fight as WW because they put on too much muscle and are too big. Fighters' height didn't decrease (it's actually the opposite), their weight increased, which forces them to fight at higher weight classes than before.

Ironically, since HW doesn't have a weight limit, HW fighters are now both taller and heavier on average, which means people who would have been HWs back in the day are now fighting at lower weight classes. Ali, Frazier and Louis would all be CWs today and would still be smaller than Usyk.

Last edited:
Okey that would have to be the one where he stopped him. The second one was lifeless as I recall but Hearns just dominated with the jab and should have won on the scorecards, but got robbed.

Perhaps, but Leonard battered Hearns from pillar to post in the last round. Not a good look for the end of a fight. Hearns is lucky it wasn't 15 rounds like their first fight, because Leonard was starting to come back like he did in the first one.

One could argue that Sugar Ray Leonard went scot free against Hearns. However, Leonard was taller, rangy and jab reliant. So it isn't like Hearns ran over everybody he faced, but I would like to see that match up.

Lol at "scot free".

Floyd would outfox Jackson imo ....Hearns is a awful fight for Floyd imo .... A much naturally bigger murderous puncher with boxing skills would be to much for Floyd

I always thought Hearns would be the toughest match up for Floyd out of the Four Kings. His power, his reach, his ability to box, it would be hard for Floyd to outbox Tommy, I think he'd have to fight his ass off and get inside after taking some punishment and do what SRL did. He would have to try to fight Tommy in the pocket or inside, that would be an uphill battle for Floyd, imo.

I think Julian had the ability to always land a big shot and he had atg power. When we talk about p4p biggest punchers, Jackson is almost always mentioned first.. So yeah he could knock out just about anyone in his size range, including Floyd. That being said I don't think his skill set is anywhere close to Floyld's and Floyd would be cautious early and find a way to adjust like he always did. Jackson was a huge puncher but not very more than one dimensional overall.
I’m a Floyd fan , but I feel he’d lose a decision trying to outbox Hearns before you’d try to out fight him

Not as talented... evident by how quickly he declined once he lost a step.
So Roy Jones was not as talented as Floyd because he peaked sooner and declined more rapidly? I don't think longevity is the sole marker of talent. Is Pacquiao more talented than Mayweather because he's still boxing at the highest level when Mayweather has already retired?

De La Hoya aint no Jackson or Hearns. Far from it.

I'm assuming you are referring to the 34 year old version of Oscar that fought Floyd and lost by split decision.

The prime 24 year old version of De La Hoya was a beast.

I’m a Floyd fan , but I feel he’d lose a decision trying to outbox Hearns before you’d try to out fight him
You don't think he'd have the balls to try get inside and fight Hearns? I just think he'd realize after getting pieced up for a few rds that his only chance at getting away from the damage would be to try to work it inside and cause a closer range fight.

I think that would be his only/best chance. I don't know if he'd survive a distance fight with Tommy, maybe lose a wide Dec if he went full defense. It's interesting thinking about how he'd adjust but he'd have to do something different than try to box from the outside, imo.

Back