Would Mayweather jr be able to handle big punchers like Hearns and Jackson?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One is a hall of famer (Hearns), the other a pretty limited and stiff boxer (Jackson). BUT they are a lot bigger and harder punchers than the ones around Floyds era.

We only have one massive puncher Floyd ever went up against, Mosley, and he landed 1 bomb and never did a damn thing after that in the fight. He's quite a bit smaller than those guys though.

Any ideas on if Mayweather could handle big boxers who are also power punchers? He faced on guy who is bigger than both but not a great puncher or boxer.

One is a hall of famer (Hearns), the other a pretty limited and stiff boxer (Jackson). BUT they are a lot bigger and harder punchers than the ones around Floyds era.

We only have one massive puncher Floyd ever went up against, Mosley, and he landed on bomb and never did a damn thing after that in the fight. And he's a lot smaller than those guys.

Any ideas on if Mayweather could handle big boxers who are also power punchers? He faced on guy who is bigger than both but not a great puncher or boxer.
If Mayweather doesn't get hit clean he'll be fine. And he's really difficult to hit clean. Mosely did and had Floyd in all sorts of trouble but never (was able to) capitalise(d) on it. Hearns was a pretty damn good boxer though and wouldn't have much to worry about because Floyd probably wouldn't be able to hurt him. I think Hearns would beat Floyd by KO. I think Jackson was just too limited as a boxer to beat someone like Floyd. He'd have a punchers chance at best.

If Mayweather doesn't get hit clean he'll be fine. And he's really difficult to hit clean. Mosely did and had Floyd in all sorts of trouble but never (was able to) capitalise(d) on it. Hearns was a pretty damn good boxer though and wouldn't have much to worry about because Floyd probably wouldn't be able to hurt him. I think Hearns would beat Floyd by KO. I think Jackson was just too limited as a boxer to beat someone like Floyd. He'd have a punchers chance at best.

One could argue that Sugar Ray Leonard went scot free against Hearns. However, Leonard was taller, rangy and jab reliant. So it isn't like Hearns ran over everybody he faced, but I would like to see that match up.

I Mosely did and had Floyd in all sorts of trouble but never (was able to) capitalise(d) on it.

Only those few seconds. For a total fight, that's not a great performance. Fight was really boring.

One could argue that Sugar Ray Leonard went scot free against Hearns. However, Leonard was taller, rangy and jab reliant. So it isn't like Hearns ran over everybody he faced, but I would like to see that match up.
Sugar Ray Leonard would be one fighter that I would pick to beat Floyd rather easily. He was bigger and just as talented.

it's interesting how two of the very best boxers in history are the least technical. Floyd arm punched most of his career due to shoulder roll style and didn't sit on his punches (threw them lightning fast though) and Ali punched from his toes. didn't sit down on his either. Roy Jones Jr had a little bit better sting at times but still not by the book.

Anybody ever reflected on how the sports greatest were some of the poorest representations of power?

Hearns' power wouldn't be Mayweather's biggest problem. It would be Hearns' reach, jab, ability to box, and his punch output. Floyd has a way of stinging opponents just enough to gain respect and eventually discourage them. That'd a bit tougher to do with Hearns, as Hearns rarely backed off even when hurt, sometimes to his detriment.

Hearns would have been a tough stylistic fight. Hearns knew how to fight a slick boxer.

Power never really got it done vs Floyd, he fought some pretty good punchers and never hit the canvas without choosing to do so.

it's interesting how two of the very best boxers in history are the least technical. Floyd arm punched most of his career due to shoulder roll style and didn't sit on his punches (threw them lightning fast though) and Ali punched from his toes. didn't sit down on his either. Roy Jones Jr had a little bit better sting at times but still not by the book.

Anybody ever reflected on how the sports greatest were some of the poorest representations of power?
I have said many times here that punchers always flop at the elite level. None of the sports biggest punchers are the greatest fighters, outside the HW division.

Hearns' power wouldn't be Mayweather's biggest problem. It would be Hearns' reach, jab, ability to box, and his punch output..

That's what I argue too big and taller punchers. Why where the guys much smaller in his era, a later era... Athletes tend to get bigger, not smaller...

Floyd put on master classes of technical boxing and is one of the few boxers who actually DID sit down on his punches.

I have said many times here that punchers always flop at the elite level. None of the sports biggest punchers are the greatest fighters, outside the HW division.

But I'm not talking about major power punchers, just fighters with orthodox punching technique as a coach would teach you, which include power ofc. It's seems the speedy guys are the best in history no matter what division you look at. The orthodox punchers are highly rated but consistently below the speedy guys.

Floyd put on master classes of technical boxing and is one of the few boxers who actually DID sit down on his punches.

No he didn't. His punches generally had very poor power output and were arm punches.

Hearns’s boxing and reach would cause Floyd more trouble than his power. Jackson would have a hard time landing big.

Jackson is one of my all time favorites, but Floyd beats him most times. Hearns is another story, I’d favor Hearns.

Hearns’s boxing and reach would cause Floyd more trouble than his power. Jackson would have a hard time landing big.

So why did the fighters get smaller than a previous era?

I always thought Hearns would be the toughest match up for Floyd out of the Four Kings. His power, his reach, his ability to box, it would be hard for Floyd to outbox Tommy, I think he'd have to fight his ass off and get inside after taking some punishment and do what SRL did. He would have to try to fight Tommy in the pocket or inside, that would be an uphill battle for Floyd, imo.

I think Julian had the ability to always land a big shot and he had atg power. When we talk about p4p biggest punchers, Jackson is almost always mentioned first.. So yeah he could knock out just about anyone in his size range, including Floyd. That being said I don't think his skill set is anywhere close to Floyld's and Floyd would be cautious early and find a way to adjust like he always did. Jackson was a huge puncher but not very more than one dimensional overall.

Nah. Leonard, Hagler, Jackson, all much bigger than Floyd and his rivals.

And still, none of them was a 6’1 welterweight with freakish power and a 78 inch reach.

Very uncommon indeed.

Back